Question for Ipod and Itunes users

I just got a 60gb ipod at a discount because of the new models that have been released. I already have a selection of mp3's on an external drive that I don't keep connected to my laptop and I don't want to keep on all the time. From what I understand about iTunes, I would have to have that drive available when I sync up my ipod or the music would be removed. Is there a way to just ignore those items during the sync so that they would just stay on my ipod even if the external drive isn't connected?

Thanks!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Onkyo TX-SR606
    PS3 Bluray
    Denon DVD-1920
    Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma
    HR21 HD DVR
    Paradigm Esprit (front), Focus (rear), CC270 (center)

2 - 15" Dayton HF subwoofers
    Two Soundstream M1 monoblock amps for the subwoofer

could you elaborate a bit?

so you've got the 60gig iPod, i've got a 30, same thing really...

so, you keep your music on an external drive? so whats the point of syncing your iPod if you music isn't there to sync with?!?

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    could you elaborate a bit?

so you've got the 60gig iPod, i've got a 30, same thing really...

so, you keep your music on an external drive? so whats the point of syncing your iPod if you music isn't there to sync with?!?
    I am limited in my knowledge with itunes. As far as I know syncing is the way to get the items from the library onto the ipod. I have most of my music on my external drive and some on my local drive. Say I were to get a few mp3's and put them in the local drive and add them to itunes. When I were to sync the ipod so the music is added to my ipod, would I need to also have my external drive powered up and connected so that itunes doesn't get confused?

I am very knowledgable with computers but itunes is like no other program I have ever used.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Jeff, one answer to you problem would be to get iTunes Library Manager. It allows you to keep multiple libraries. It won't be as seemless as you'd like. but basically you could create an iPod specific library which looks locally for the files and a second library that looks to your external. You can keep all your low res files in the iPod library for example and just maintain the high res ones in the external library. There's also a 'convert and export' script that can help you convert from the high res library and move files to the low res library.

I've been doing a lot of library juggling, and the thing that's the most frustrating is that iTunes really doesn't like the files to be distributed on multiple drives. Eventually something gets 'lost'.

Before starting to manage multiple libraries, I would first make sure that the library location (preferences/advanced/general) is set to the external. Then I would 'Consolidate library' in the advanced menu. This will copy all files to the external. You can then delete the local.

You basically drop the ITunes Lib Man script in the script folder. Then it shows up as a menu item in the script menu. You open it and then save your current consolidated library under two names (e.g. External and iPod). Load the external then 'convert and export' to where the local iPod files will be. Then go to ITunes Lib Man and save the External before loading iPod. Now in the iPod library, you have to import the files that you exported. You can drag and drop the folder onto the library icon in iTunes...

Not exactly effortless, but it will result in more orderly, and failsafe managment. You just have to remember to save a library, if you make changes to it, before switching.

iTunes Lib Manager let's you save two librarys. If you pay the fee ($7) you can create many libraries.
    Last edited by noddin0ff; 09-22-2006 at 07:57 AM.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    The 'library' that iTunes Lib Man saves is just the files that keep it organized, not the music files themselves. These 'library' files all stay resident on the local drive.

Forum Regular
    Or.....

If youre familiar with Winamp, there is a plugin for connecting to an iPod. Just a different option. I use it cause I can't stand iTunes. It seems like people are always asking me how to use it(im in college), and whenever I try to figure it out, it seems so like a toy. I would never use it as my main music player. But it's all personal choice, nothing against iTunes users.

Winamp
    iPod Winamp plugin

Thread Information