best headphones

Printable View

• 11-05-2009, 06:21 PM
    Mr Peabody
    If brand new out of the box it's absolutely true for Sennheiser. Every pair I've owned has sounded better with about 24 hours of play. I usually put them on just to hear them then hook them up to something and just let them play a day or so. You'll notice right out of the box the highs won't sound right and the bass will be very tight but after some hours of play you will hear them coming into their own.
  • 11-06-2009, 03:52 AM
    poppachubby
    Patrick, check out this site to learn about burn in. Also, download the generator, it's the same one I use.

http://www.burninwave.com/

As far as an amp goes, the bottom line is this. Any set that's over 32 ohms can stand to benefit from an amp. Up to around 55 ohms you don't always NEED one. Depends on the source. Home equipment should be fine, but I still plug mine in occasionally. If you're serious about headphones, you should at least look at getting one in the near future.

The AKG's will sound 10 times better when powered correctly. The Senn's are a nice choice too man. Either way, you win.
  • 11-06-2009, 04:56 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I would say it depends on the amp. I'm in the market now for a DAC/Headphone amp combo. I would guarantee you that the output of even a modest unit would smoke the phone output of my table top HD Radio. I'm not so sure it would do the same against my computer rig with it's dedicated sound card. However I'm sure it could output more current, which is what you would need to drive a >300ohm phone.

Funny thing Geoff, I love my soundcard to bits but it's headphone output is its weakest link by far. Wouldn't even consider it without an amp.

"Love it to bits" hahaha I just got that, man I'm a funny guy...
  • 11-06-2009, 05:17 PM
    Mr Peabody
    OK, I will admit I've never paid attention to impedance of headphones before. So help me out here, is it the lower the impedance the easier they are to drive? HD-600's are 300 ohm, so at what point would a headphone be considered sensitive or a easy load?
  • 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I just checked the specs on my Sennheiser PX-100 and they are 32 ohm so I guess there is a pretty wide gap there between portable use and home use. Sensitivity is 114dB compared to the 600's, well I found 97dB and 102dB not sure which is accurate.
  • 11-06-2009, 06:22 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    OK, I will admit I've never paid attention to impedance of headphones before. So help me out here, is it the lower the impedance the easier they are to drive? HD-600's are 300 ohm, so at what point would a headphone be considered sensitive or a easy load?

Wow! Sorry Peabody, I just figured a gent of your stature on here would have known this.

I have to admit, secretly, deep down inside, it brings me joy to know that this is probably the only thing I will ever have known about audio before you. Petty? Yep!! LOL.

As I already wrote, 32 ohms is about the cut-off point for most portable devices. That doesn't mean that an amp won't benefit a 32 ohm set. The other consideration is that most portables will have to work extremely hard to power a 32ohm set, decreasing battery life noticably fast.

I use my amp for my AKG K-66, 32 ohm and it brings out the best in them, while extending my battery life by almost double.

And yes, the lower the ohmage, the easier they are to drive. In an earlier post, I was warning Patrick against the K240M as they are 600 ohms, very difficult to power in a domestic scenario. Even some amps will have trouble with these as most amps have a top out of around 300.

I would say that 24 ohms or lower would be considered easy to drive.
  • 11-06-2009, 08:03 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Thanks. I wonder why AKG would make a set 600 ohm.

I was using headphones since back in the day when my mom used to yell, "turn that **** down!" "How can you listen to that noise?" I just never paid any attention to the specs, nor did it come up in an involved conversation before. As you say though I should know and that's why I asked. It's such a burden being expected to know everything :)
  • 11-06-2009, 09:15 PM
    Geoffcin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Funny thing Geoff, I love my soundcard to bits but it's headphone output is its weakest link by far. Wouldn't even consider it without an amp.

"Love it to bits" hahaha I just got that, man I'm a funny guy...

I think it all has to do with what the output was designed for. My laptop was designed for dual headphone output, so perhaps the "headroom" [pun] afforded by this allows it to better drive the one can? In any case I absolutely agree that a headphone amp is the best way to power a headphone.
  • 11-06-2009, 09:41 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I wonder why AKG would make a set 600 ohm.

For studio applications. Professional use basically.
  • 11-07-2009, 10:38 AM
    patrick201009
    I am not interested in Bose headphones, but what do you audiophiles have to say about Bose headphones in general? Just curious...
  • 11-07-2009, 11:13 AM
    Mr Peabody
    I've been curious to hear a pair. If they sound like their speakers I wouldn't care for them. Especially, at the price Bose are at. For what it's worth a friend of mine heard several Bose at the Bose store in the mall and he feels the HD-600 are far superior. It's not exactly apple to apples though because the Bose were probably on some display with who knows what for a source where my HD-600's were hooked into my X-can and a very good CD player. I personally seriously doubt the Bose would come close to the clarity and fidelity of a comparatively priced Sennheiser. What has me curious is Bose has traditionally used small drivers and could potentially make a decent headphone. Who ever designs their speakers though seems to like a warm diffuse sound that lacks high and low extremity response. If this is the tactic used on the headphones they would leave me with a lot to be desired.
  • 11-07-2009, 11:41 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patrick201009
    I am not interested in Bose headphones, but what do you audiophiles have to say about Bose headphones in general? Just curious...

Overpriced, if you could somehow get a set for really cheap they are average at best. Really crumby build quality. Not particularily the greatest sounding either, I found the bass of the Triport bloated and un-natural. Overall lacking warmth or depth.

These things are really hyped up, not quite sure how Bose does it. My hat's off to them though, they have alot of people believing that they are the saviours of audio. Good marketing for sure.