Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks HC for the review -

I heard the LCD-2 with some some S.E.T. tube amps at RMAF. Granted - I was once again listening to Diana Krall (or whatever the hell her name is and that **** music) anyways I didn't get a long enough audition to noticed some of the smaller critics that you have, but the larger impression of detail and punch I agree with.

Anyways - I got to get a pair soon.

Major speedy delivery.

Ordered on the 15th and on my head tonight.

I have to give these some play time because all new headphones are pretty crappy sounding. With just a bit of power though and they sound extremely transparent. You can hear them smooth out as they play. Wow.

I'll be back.....
    d HC b

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Thanks HC for the review -

I heard the LCD-2 with some some S.E.T. tube amps at RMAF. Granted - I was once again listening to Diana Krall (or whatever the hell her name is and that **** music) anyways I didn't get a long enough audition to noticed some of the smaller critics that you have, but the larger impression of detail and punch I agree with.

Anyways - I got to get a pair soon.
    My critic is minimal. They are some of the best headphones I've heard.
    d HC b

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Camper
    Major speedy delivery.

Ordered on the 15th and on my head tonight.

I have to give these some play time because all new headphones are pretty crappy sounding. With just a bit of power though and they sound extremely transparent. You can hear them smooth out as they play. Wow.

I'll be back.....
    Any update? quick comparisons to the K701 and LCD2?

No comparison with the K701s. Mine will be discounted to a student starting the journey. They are a good entrance to headphones but have to be shaped by the upstream components to sound good. Going back to them after spending time with the LCD-2 made me painfully aware of the K701 shortcomings.

As for the LCD-2, I'd be going off memory to comment. We are having a meet after the holidays with the PS Audio Perfectwave, Audio GD Ref. 7, Woo 22, Singlepower Extreme, DIY tube "Duke's Beast", two Rotel RMB-100 monoblocks, Headroom Ultra Stack. The headphones of interest will be the HD800, LCD-2, HE-6, PS-1000.

Just a simple analogy, if you like the laid back sound of Sennheisers, the LCD-2 is your baby. Best bass in the business. I've not heard them but owners say a re-cable brings out the highs. The HE-6 is a different animal. It has the agility of the K701s without the lack of bass or unnatural sounding highs. The highs on the HE-6 are in line with stats but the mids aren't as delectable as the LCD-2. Bass is tight and accurate without dominating the presentation.

After about 15 hours, the HE-6s are starting to relax and bass is getting fuller. Give me the weekend to get them conditioned and I'll give more impressions. I am leaning to the HE-6 over the LCD-2 because of the clarity in the highs and they fit my head better. I love the wood trim of the LCD-2 and they just look like a statement piece. I got to live with the LCD-2 for a couple weeks, I'll have a few weeks with the HE-6 and then I will be able to hear them side by side.
    d HC b

Ajani
    No comparison with the K701s. Mine will be discounted to a student starting the journey. They are a good entrance to headphones but have to be shaped by the upstream components to sound good. Going back to them after spending time with the LCD-2 made me painfully aware of the K701 shortcomings.

As for the LCD-2, I'd be going off memory to comment. We are having a meet after the holidays with the PS Audio Perfectwave, Audio GD Ref. 7, Woo 22, Singlepower Extreme, DIY tube "Duke's Beast", two Rotel RMB-100 monoblocks, Headroom Ultra Stack. The headphones of interest will be the HD800, LCD-2, HE-6, PS-1000.

Just a simple analogy, if you like the laid back sound of Sennheisers, the LCD-2 is your baby. Best bass in the business. I've not heard them but owners say a re-cable brings out the highs. The HE-6 is a different animal. It has the agility of the K701s without the lack of bass or unnatural sounding highs. The highs on the HE-6 are in line with stats but the mids aren't as delectable as the LCD-2. Bass is tight and accurate without dominating the presentation.

After about 15 hours, the HE-6s are starting to relax and bass is getting fuller. Give me the weekend to get them conditioned and I'll give more impressions. I am leaning to the HE-6 over the LCD-2 because of the clarity in the highs and they fit my head better. I love the wood trim of the LCD-2 and they just look like a statement piece. I got to live with the LCD-2 for a couple weeks, I'll have a few weeks with the HE-6 and then I will be able to hear them side by side.
    So far it sounds like the HE-6 might be the better choice for K701 fans.... I've not tried the Senns, but I am definitely not a fan of laid back sound...

Just an opinion but I think HE-6/tubes or LCD-2/SS amps. The HE-6 are very detailed and active in the upper range. They are a quick decay headphone. The LCD-2 are more active in the lower range with a longer decay. Of course there are exceptions to everything so meets are needed to hear the character of each headphone.

I am of the view that today's digital sources need a tube in the circuit to relax the rigidity of digital sound. There are digital sources that are voiced to be relaxed (similar to vinyl) but my general experiences are that digital sources are a bit harsh with piano. The only SS dac I've had the chance to hear that was vinyl sounding has been the A gd Ref. 7. I will caveat my statement by saying I've not been exposed to a lot of dacs so the journey continues.
    d HC b

Ajani
    This is a nice comparison of the LCD-2 versus HE-6:

http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he-6-vs-audeze-lcd-2/

Sounds similar to Happy Camper's findings....

Ajani
    Thanks for the link... I had read some of the last two sometime ago, but not the first one...

That one is really interesting, as I had initially had the impression that the LCD-2 was hands down preferred over the HE-6 on Head-Fi.... Nice to see that it really is a matter of preference... and those reviews really make the HE-6 sound like an upgrade for K701 fans... I wish I could try both...

If I brought them down, would you pay air and host me for the trial? We could set up an Arie meet and enjoy a Stripe or Appleton's finest. I would ask for temporary membership to the Rasta church out of respect for the beliefs of my host nation.

Ohh!!!!! The First Annual "Raggee Rock Sensations" meet. We can have a resort sponsor it and vendors could show product, members can bring their family (I mean business associates) to enjoy the hospitality while dad (I mean the CEOs) enjoy the hobby (I mean business). Adam could bring the SS Audio Review down for VIPs and dignitaries to host evening dinner parties.

Yeah, that's it.
    d HC b

Sorry, levity intended. But a junket flight roundtrip might only be a couple hundred....you could fly up to a meet and head back for a weekend visit. Miami, Houston, there's a guy in the Caymans that has about every top end headphone rig there is.
    d HC b

Ajani
    Sorry, levity intended. But a junket flight roundtrip might only be a couple hundred....you could fly up to a meet and head back for a weekend visit. Miami, Houston, there's a guy in the Caymans that has about every top end headphone rig there is.
    If I was working in Cayman, I'd fly down the owners of those cans for a meet in Cayman! My colleagues who opted to work in Cayman make way too much money to even consider returning to Jamaica...

I think I'll have to arrange for vacation with my girlfriend to coincide with a meet sometime..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information