Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

True, but I'm still missing stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    4 or five full notes at best. There's no instrument save a church organ that produces a note lower than 30hz.
    The 1.6's don't go much below 40 Hz, of course. And I do listen to organ music once in awhile. One of my favorite 'audiophile' recordings is John Rutter's Requiem on Reference Recordings; it's just not the same without the deeper organ notes. Plus I agree with Mike that there are often subharmonics, or something, going on that isn't necessarily instrument notes.

I also listen to a lot of electronically-generated music, and of course there's nothing to say a synthesizer or computer can't go well below 30hz.

I have a song that has a bass line with "holes" in it because certain notes drop below the range of the 1.6s. So instead of "bum bum bum bum bum bum..." it sounds like "bum bum ___ bum bum ___..."
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I remember the first time I heard N.I.B. on a decent stereo system. It was also the first time I ever heard the fundamental.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

OK, I got the MF today, and it's plugged into my 1.6QRs. I've been listening to it for a couple hours now, and let me just say... HOLY F*$%.

More/tighter/better bass? YES, better bass, absolutely, no question about it. It's not even close. I can stand in between the speakers and feel the floorboards flexing under my feet. No way that happened with the Pathos. If you close your eyes, you'd absolutely swear there's a subwoofer in the rig. And this with the 1.6s!

Is the Pathos "smoother" and "warmer"? Perhaps. But this thing is just plain unrelenting with the dynamics and transients. Every 20 seconds I do a double-take because something sounds like it's right there in front of me. Even the cats are spooked. It's just amazingly realistic and attention-grabbing, yet not the least bit fatiguing. I'll take that over "smoother" any day.

And this thing puts out an ungodly amount of volume, completely effortlessly. I turn it up only half-way to 12 o'clock, and my wife starts complaining. I had to put the Pathos on 80/100 to do that, and then it starting sounding strained. This thing is just pure grace, no strain in sight. And I don't even have the guts to turn the volume past 2 o'clock!

I'll write a more thorough review after a few more days with it. The 3.6s won't be here for another couple weeks, and man am I anxious to hear them with this amp!

Sorry Florian, but the Brits have it over the Italians 200% on this one. It's not even a close comparison, it's night and day.
    Last edited by Mike Anderson; 11-01-2006 at 07:52 PM.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Okay, I'm a little behind.

YOU GOT A MF KW500?!?!?

I envy you.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

^^^ Yes. I'm on hour five now, and I'm still astonished by this amp. It is *really* in your face. There are times when the sounds seems to come out of the speakers, grab you by the ears, and smack you around like a $20 whore.

I keep expecting myself to say, "OK, I've had enough of this now, I want something normal sounding again." But it hasn't happened yet!

And it isn't just the bass, it's the highs too. This thing is 100 lbs of pure muscle. And yes, it really does weigh 100 lbs (45 kg for those of you living in countries smart enough to adopt the metric system.)

I can see how this wouldn't be for everyone though. I'm pretty sure my Mom wouldn't like it.

And you still have 3.6 on the way, right? I wonder if you have to get another kw500 to maintain your psychosis.

-Gaimiamo

And they laughed at me when i told them that once the planar virus bites, that you will spend a lot of money.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Actually that's a recommended configuration

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    And you still have 3.6 on the way, right? I wonder if you have to get another kw500 to maintain your psychosis.

-Gaimiamo
    Dual amps = total seperation of signal. But the MF is a dual-mono design, so I wouldn't think it would that much of a difference.

Me thinks someone is going to be buying a lot of fuses......
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Just think about the surround system you could build using 3.6R's for the fronts and 1.6QR's for the rears. All you need now is something for the center. Of course, a couple of decent true sub woofers wouldn't hurt.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Dual amps = total seperation of signal. But the MF is a dual-mono design, so I wouldn't think it would that much of a difference.

Me thinks someone is going to be buying a lot of fuses......
    Ahh. I thought Kw500 was a poweramp.

^^^ It's an integrated amp. But it appears the two sides are entirely separated, at least in the power section. The power supply even has three separate cords, for the preamp plus the left and right power sections.

I like that idea a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Just think about the surround system you could build using 3.6R's for the fronts and 1.6QR's for the rears. All you need now is something for the center. Of course, a couple of decent true sub woofers wouldn't hurt.
    Except I would stack the 1.6's for the center channel, and get a pair of the MMG's or MC1's for surrounds. Match that with a take-no-prisoner sub and your sure to be in the elite ranks of HT.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Harry Pearson's system

Except I would stack the 1.6's for the center channel, and get a pair of the MMG's or MC1's for surrounds. Match that with a take-no-prisoner sub and your sure to be in the elite ranks of HT.
    Isn't it EStat who occassionally jaks about HP's MC system? Doesn't it have 20.1's in front and 3.6's in back?

Mike has an upgrade path!!

I've never seen it

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Isn't it EStat who occassionally jaks about HP's MC system? Doesn't it have 20.1's in front and 3.6's in back?

Mike has an upgrade path!!
    But I do think that's correct. The ultimate system would have to be matched 20.1's fore & aft, and a stacked pair for the center. That's 3 pairs of 20.1's!?!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

But I do think that's correct. The ultimate system would have to be matched 20.1's fore & aft, and a stacked pair for the center. That's 3 pairs of 20.1's!?!
    That would be a cute system and not really that expensive to buy used!
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

You people are insane.

Well, he did have both pairs of speakers at once. I forgot about the center channel. I generally run MC sources in phantom mode.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Harry wanted 20.1s in the rear, but Diller would only give him the 3.6s. He does use stacked MMGCs as centers (clamped together) and FOUR Nola Thunderbolt subs. The issue with the centers is not to block the screen - which in HP's case is 100" driven by a Barco projector.

rw

I think he coud do better

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Harry wanted 20.1s in the rear, but Diller would only give him the 3.6s. He does use stacked MMGCs as centers (clamped together) and FOUR Nola Thunderbolt subs. The issue with the centers is not to block the screen - which in HP's case is 100" driven by a Barco projector.

rw
    The MMGC doesnt hold a candle to my CC3. You could stack a pair of those top & bottom on the screen if you really needed to get the volume up. How big is his room anyway?!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

The MMGC doesnt hold a candle to my CC3. You could stack a pair of those top & bottom on the screen if you really needed to get the volume up.
    I stand corrected. I wasn't aware there was more than one Maggie center and assumed it to be the other flavor. He uses a pair of CC3s clamped together.

How big is his room anyway?
    It has a funny shape because the right wall opens up with a bay window. The french doors from the entry and all the windows are covered, so the room is always dark. I'm guessing it is like 26 x 14 or so (slightly wider at the bay). The listening couch is maybe 8' out from the back wall (which filled with records). There's also a closet in the back where he keeps extra cable, old cartridges, and all sorts of devices.

rw

He still can do better

I stand corrected. I wasn't aware there was more than one Maggie center and assumed it to be the other flavor. He uses a pair of CC3s clamped together.
    Very good, but overkill. (like the whole setup)

It has a funny shape because the right wall opens up with a bay window. The french doors from the entry and all the windows are covered, so the room is always dark. I'm guessing it is like 26 x 14 or so (slightly wider at the bay). The listening couch is maybe 8' out from the back wall (which filled with records). There's also a closet in the back where he keeps extra cable, old cartridges, and all sorts of devices.
    14" is kind of slender to get proper seperation from the 20.1s. While I'm sure it sounds great, the 3.6's would better fit the room better.

One of the interesting things that I found when going to the HE show was that room size made a big difference in how well a speaker performed. In the smaller rooms the monitors and mid sized speakers sounded best. I was especially amazed at how a huge speaker like the Von Swiekert 9se simply overpowered the room it was in.

There is a point where it simply becomes too much for the room.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Very good, but overkill. (like the whole setup)
    ALL of his systems are overkill. That's why it's fun to hear them!

14" is kind of slender to get proper seperation from the 20.1s. While I'm sure it sounds great, the 3.6's would better fit the room better.
    That was a quick estimate and may be wrong. I think he calls that Room #1. I know he has documented the room sizes somewhere. He had that same pair of 20.1s initially in the small middle room before he put together the MC rig.

I don't disagree about room size, but bipolars are somewhat less fussy in that regard to me than direct radiators.

rw

ALL of his systems are overkill. That's why it's fun to hear them!
    rw
    It's got to be somewhat of an intense experiance eh?
    I don't disagree about room size, but bipolars are somewhat less fussy in that regard to me than direct radiators.
    rw
    Yes, I agree, it all has to do with bass loading. Panels don't overload a room, especially when you can adjust bass by wall distance. Still, with a system like that that in a limited size room, there's got to be only one "perfect" spot for listening.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    ^^^ Yes. I'm on hour five now, and I'm still astonished by this amp. It is *really* in your face. There are times when the sounds seems to come out of the speakers, grab you by the ears, and smack you around like a $20 whore.

I keep expecting myself to say, "OK, I've had enough of this now, I want something normal sounding again." But it hasn't happened yet!

And it isn't just the bass, it's the highs too. This thing is 100 lbs of pure muscle. And yes, it really does weigh 100 lbs (45 kg for those of you living in countries smart enough to adopt the metric system.)

I can see how this wouldn't be for everyone though. I'm pretty sure my Mom wouldn't like it.
    I would love to hear your impressions now that it's been well over 2 days with your system.

I'm really enjoying my music thru 1.6QR, but.......
    I just need a bit more slam, but I'm not about to integrate some $2K REL sub into my system.
    My room is about 12 x 15 with 8' of extra space behind my listening positions with some 5' of extra space to one side of the room.
    Well here it is again... I just need a bit more slam. It's like.."&*(%&*#" I just need a bit more edge of slam on the lower end. I defintely dont have enough funds to upgrade to a pair of 3.6 but would like to know what I'll be able to accomplish by moving up. Am I retarded for thinking about of moving up already? I'm still looking to get a pair of XLR likes of Kimber KCGA and there are other areas where I need to fine tune, but I'm not sure if amps like Krell could offer me what I'm trying to resolve... Any thoughts /opinions from present/previous 1.6QR owners would be appreciated.

JRA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information