Thread: KLH Model 9

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

KLH Model 9

This is the first time I've seen these on Ebay. Anyone ever hear them in person?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KLH-MODE...QQcmdZViewItem
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

I have heard them. They are GREAT speakers. The seller is not really correct with that 16 ohm stuff. Go to www.audiokarma.org for more information on them. There are several people who own them who are regulars there.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Well that really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    I have heard them. They are GREAT speakers. The seller is not really correct with that 16 ohm stuff. Go to www.audiokarma.org for more information on them. There are several people who own them who are regulars there.
    Since the seller is just a few miles from me.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Since the seller is just a few miles from me.
    But you got 3.6 Mags...
    Rick Vansloneker

Talking You don't know the half of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Vansloneker
    But you got 3.6 Mags...
    Actually, I've got 3.6's, a pair of vintage maggie III's, a pair of KLH model 6's, a couple pair of EPI's, a pair of CSW T500's, and assorted smaller speakers just about everywhere. That's not counting my computer setup(s) either. (yes I've got a stereo in the bathroom too)

I know what your thinking, but it's better than a drug addiction.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

According to former owner and TAS reviewer John Cooledge, you really needed to double them in order to get good dynamic range. He replaced his double pair with Dayton Wrights back in the early 70s.

They are clearly, however, one of the pioneering electrostatic designs.

rw

For a moment a thought you would want to replace them ... dumb me ... should have known better
    Rick Vansloneker

You never know, the Maggies are not the last words in resolution and dynamics so these KLH 9's, if done right could be better. I never heard them, but never say never. In any case, youll have good sound :-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

They don't play real loud and they don't have earthquake bass. Within their operating range they have the clear transparent midrange ESL's are known for. The have the kind of sound you would expect from any good ESL. I think they were/are such a big deal because there was nothing else like them at the time. They do hold up very well in comparison with modern speakers including modern ESL's. I always wanted a pair until I got my Acoustats. My first panels (MG1's) initially got my attention because of their resemblance to KLH9's.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    You never know, the Maggies are not the last words in resolution and dynamics so these KLH 9's, if done right could be better.
    Perhaps. While I have been an electrostatic fancier for thirty years, the venerable 9s are not a match overall for the superb 3.6s in either neutrality nor frequency extremes (according to a seasoned reviewer friend who is familiar with both). Electrostats in general, however, do tend to have better very low level resolution.

rw

I've got to agree with you E-Stat. As good as the 9's are the 3.6r's are better. Now, for real audio heaven you should hear some 20.1's.

Well, i dont know the KLH's but am VERY familar with Maggies as you know ;-)
    The 20.1 is a big step upwards from the 3.6 and one i was planning, before the Apos came along. The Maggies where less fuzzy tough, which makes things easier.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

I've got to agree with you E-Stat. As good as the 9's are the 3.6r's are better. Now, for real audio heaven you should hear some 20.1's.
    Or, both at the same time. A couple of weeks back, I heard HP's "super" Maggie system with 20.1s in the front, dual MGC-1 centers, and 3.6 rears. Four Nola Thunderbolt subs.

Rather nice playing his Telarc multichannel sampler!

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Or, both at the same time. A couple of weeks back, I heard HP's "super" Maggie system with 20.1s in the front, dual MGC-1 centers, and 3.6 rears. Four Nola Thunderbolt subs.

Rather nice playing his Telarc multichannel sampler!

rw
    You're such a show off! I'm very jealous!

Be prepared to be even more jealous!:

You're such a show off! I'm very jealous!
    I'm about to drop a bombshell into the HT forum.....
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

AR Newbie Registered Member

Smile I have to disagree

I have six stereo systems with electronic gear. My top two are a double panel pair of KLH model 9 speakers and a pair of JBL Hartsfield reissue speakers with modern components except for cross overs and horn lenses. I have to admit that when I go to a high end store almost all the time my equipment sounds better. I heard the Magnapan 3.6 panels with McIntosh equipment which sounded quite nice in California last year. Yet I get grabbed by my own systems which also use some McIntosh gear.

I aim my Hartsfields at my listening area like normal speakers and they are not in corners. My KLH model 9 speakers are in a different room from the Hartsfields but I can say that they both have their own strengths. Since this is a KLH model 9 forum I will focus on them. I run the KLH model nine panels with two McIntosh MC275 MKIV amplifiers (150 watts RMS), a Citation One preamp (sometimes replaced with a McIntosh C20 preamplifier), two Revox A77 15 ips tape machines, a Thorens TD160 turntable with a Sumiko Blue Point number 2 cartridge, and a Denon DVD 3300 player. The JBL Hartsfield speakers have an Eico ST84 preamp, an ST89 amplifier (50 watts RMS sometimes switched with two HF89 amplifiers in mono and 100watts RMS), an Ampex 350 two track tape machine, a Revox B226 CD player and a Project Perspex turntable with a Sumiko Black Bird cartridge.

The Hartsfield speakers gives quite a lot of midrange detail partially due to the EL34 tubes that drive them. The KLH model 9 speakers are able to develop all of the midrange detail that the KT88 driver tubes can give. The KLH speakers also have a highly developed high frequency sound that is not beamy as some people say because there are four tweeters aiming at different directions. The bass in the KLH speakers approaches the the JBL speakers with an exceptional amount of detail. I like both types of speakers but have to admit that when it comes to records the KLH speakers only sound good on analog records. Digital recordings put on records do not sound good on this system. CDs almost all of the time sound good but both systems but shows flaws in recordings. My favorite type of music on these systems would be two track tape then records and then CDs. Dont get me wrong a good CD will sound better than a bad tape or record any day. I think that small groups and jazz music sounds great on the KLH speakers where as large concerts on the Hartsfield speakers come into their own here.

For Instance my Beetoven Symphony No7 two track recording from the late 1950s sounds better on either system than either a record or CD. Jack Jones's "Impossible Dream" tape KTL41113 from the early 1060s jumps out at you on the KLH system and sounds great on the Hartsfield system as well. Both tapes were recorded with tube equipment and are played back on tube equipment. My Nora Jones "Not Too Late" sounds better on the Hartsfield system as a record than on the KLH system. Both systems can play the CD well. Melody Gardot's "My One and Only Thrill" again sounds better as a record on the Hartsfield system but both play the CD well. The Diana Krall "Quite Nights" plays nice on both systems as a record and CD. Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine "Let It Loose" sounds fantastic on the KLH and Harsfield as a record. The George Benson "Give Me the Night" record sounds better on the Hartsfield system. The "Best of Swing Out Sister" by 20th Century Masters sounds flat as a CD on the KLH system but I still like the music for its style and lyrics. It sounds better on my Hartsifle system but again I like the music. Andreas Vollenweider's "Dancing with the Lion" record can't be touched when played on the KLH system. The harp music definetely is in its own with the KLH system. Mecury Records Sereo Perfect Presence Sound Series "Best of Cugat" record sounds outstanding on the KLH and Hartsifle systems as a record. Mercury Records "Sil Austin and his orchestra" again sounds exceptional on both systems as a record. Sheffield Labs "Prokofiev "Exerpts from the Ballet Romeo and Juliet" which is a direct to disc recording that sounds great on the KLH system and the Hartsfield system. CBS Records Masterworks "Portrait of Winton Marsalis" sounds bad on the KLH system but good on the Hartsfield. Yet the music is well played. Joyce Cooloing's "Revolving Door" sounds great on both systems as a CD. I use it's number 8 track "In Case of Rain" as a test song on all of my systems.

I will make a warning though do not attempt to power the KLH model 9 speakers with Eico HF89 amplifier run in the mono mode. Mine almost blew up. I like both types of speakers and would not give up either system. I am always shopping for new equipment and have not found any thing that makes me make me rush out and replace either of these two systems.

Welcome to the AR forums!

Planar people are always welcome, and I think your the only owner of a JBL Hartsfield system currently posting. Of course you do know that the thread your in is nearly 5 years old? Still it's always good to hear from someone who has direct experience with the speaker in question.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Quote Originally Posted by SPSchn0216
    Since this is a KLH model 9 forum I will focus on them. I run the KLH model nine panels with two McIntosh MC275 MKIV amplifiers (150 watts RMS), a Citation One preamp (sometimes replaced with a McIntosh C20 preamplifier)...
    Superb classic system which was among the state-of-the-art in its day. Dr. John Cooledge (JWC of The Absolute Sound) owned double Nines before getting Dayton-Wrights. It was his D-Ws that convinced me of the value of full range stats back in the mid seventies. They were capable of higher output levels and could handle lots of power. I own what is arguably the modern equivalent of double Nines with Sound Lab U-1s and drive them with VTL monoblocks.

rw

Thread Information