AR Newbie Registered Member

magnepan mg1 rewire?

I picked up a pair of old mg-1 last week here in florida and i am hooked on the open sound of these things.Now the bad news.They need a tweeter rewire and some bass/mid work also.I paid 100.00 for them in perfect cosmetic cond. but i can hear the buzz so common in the older mags.I want to just rewire the tweets for now,but since i can get everything local i dont want to have to order from mag.Does anyone know what type of wire i should buy?Guage,type,insulation,maybe place to order?Money is tight or i would just try to order from magnepan.Any help I would apreciate.

If you are new to Maggy rebuilding I would go to Magnepan for parts. For help try www.audiokarma.org they have an active and vocal bunch of Maggy owners including many who have dealt with the de-lamination problem.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doby
    I picked up a pair of old mg-1 last week here in florida and i am hooked on the open sound of these things.Now the bad news.They need a tweeter rewire and some bass/mid work also.I paid 100.00 for them in perfect cosmetic cond. but i can hear the buzz so common in the older mags.I want to just rewire the tweets for now,but since i can get everything local i dont want to have to order from mag.Does anyone know what type of wire i should buy?Guage,type,insulation,maybe place to order?Money is tight or i would just try to order from magnepan.Any help I would apreciate.
    Here is the procedure that I'm using: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...nn/repair.html

It will cost you about $25 and a whole lot of time. It seems to work good, but I have not had a chance to test them out yet as I'm on a business rip for 10 days. I'll tell you how it worked out if your interested.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    If you are new to Maggy rebuilding I would go to Magnepan for parts. For help try www.audiokarma.org they have an active and vocal bunch of Maggy owners including many who have dealt with the de-lamination problem.
    Another source is the Planar Forum over at AA found here. They link directly to the Magnepan User Group (MUG) as well You'll find a hundred posts on the topic of delamination in the past year alone..

rw

Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    Here is the procedure that I'm using: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...nn/repair.html

It will cost you about $25 and a whole lot of time. It seems to work good, but I have not had a chance to test them out yet as I'm on a business rip for 10 days. I'll tell you how it worked out if your interested.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    I'm interested too.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    I'm interested too.
    Sorry Joe!! I'll be glad to help with what I can.

Best Regards, Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Thanks for the replies.I still hope to find just wire.Another thing.If I use the weldwood contact cement will I still have the option of doing a total bass rewire in the future? Im not sure if the acetone will remove this stuff.All I need to do now is the ends of bass,but all of tweeter.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doby
    Thanks for the replies.I still hope to find just wire.Another thing.If I use the weldwood contact cement will I still have the option of doing a total bass rewire in the future? Im not sure if the acetone will remove this stuff.All I need to do now is the ends of bass,but all of tweeter.thanks
    Find wire? -- Don't know. It seems to be regular old 18-24 gauge wire though. Check with Magnepan.

remove weldwood? - The acetone takes it off the brush, so I'd imagine it works on the mylar as well.

Best Regards,
    Stan

NO,still looking,I think the hf wire is 31guage and lf is 22 guage.Got a week or two before I start so I have some search time.I can see why most go to magnepan for wire,it is quite a specialty item,but now Im on a mission. thanks again.

Why go to Magnepan? Because you can get the exact wires that they use and not have to search around.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Why go to Magnepan? Because you can get the exact wires that they use and not have to search around.
    Great advice.

Yes,I agree with you.I will be ordering from magnepan.Too much work finding wire local.I will try to document the project when I get started.Thanks for the replies.

The contact glue seems to hold well. I did both speakers and am now going back and patching up missed spots. But, they sound good.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Glad to see that its working out for you Stan. Give us a review when it's all said and done.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP