• 07-01-2012, 11:40 AM
    E-Stat
    Acoustats back in the house!
    -For the most part, my vintage system consists of hand-me-downs from earlier systems I've owned that were significant in my walk with audio.

    This time I've moved the Wayback Machine forward ten years. The Advents returned me to 1972 when I bought my first decent system. Ten years later, I had updated Acoustat Monitor 4s to 2+2s which I kept for twenty some years. I've been looking for a pair of similar 1+1s and picked them up yesterday. The Threshold amp is returned to its original dance partner. Well, close. :)

    http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/1+1.jpg

    While I've enjoyed the double New Advents for many years, they are not a match for the coherency, resolution and imaging realism of the Acoustats. The tradeoffs are the Advents go lower and can play louder. I've mentioned before how well the Advents sounded far outside the garage. In this respect, the Acoustats are better still. Voices sound so natural and alive even from my neighbor's driveway!

    Now, a bit of work begins. The grill cloth is in horrible shape as the original owner had cats. Which is just as well since they are not acoustically transparent. I had re-socked the 2+2s with Spandex a while back to improve their sound. These need the same update. I suspect the power supplies are original and internal parts could use some updating as well. The panels need a fresh tensioning job via hair dryer, too. One flaps a bit on low bass.

    I couldn't be happier.
  • 07-01-2012, 04:10 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    For the most part, my vintage system consists of hand-me-downs from earlier systems I've owned that were significant in my walk with audio.

    This time I've moved the Wayback Machine forward ten years. The Advents returned me to 1972 when I bought my first decent system. Ten years later, I had updated Acoustat Monitor 4s to 2+2s which I kept for twenty some years. I've been looking for a pair of similar 1+1s and picked them up yesterday. The Threshold amp is returned to its original dance partner. Well, close. :)

    http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/1+1.jpg

    While I've enjoyed the double New Advents for many years, they are not a match for the coherency, resolution and imaging realism of the Acoustats. The tradeoffs are the Advents go lower and can play louder. I've mentioned before how well the Advents sounded far outside the garage. In this respect, the Acoustats are better still. Voices sound so natural and alive even from my neighbor's driveway!

    Now, a bit of work begins. The grill cloth is in horrible shape as the original owner had cats. Which is just as well since they are not acoustically transparent. I had re-socked the 2+2s with Spandex a while back to improve their sound. These need the same update. I suspect the power supplies are original and internal parts could use some updating as well. The panels need a fresh tensioning job via hair dryer, too. One flaps a bit on low bass.

    I couldn't be happier.

    Congrats! They look terrific and I'm envious.
  • 07-01-2012, 04:53 PM
    JoeE SP9
    E-Stat, do you know anywhere that will make new covers in Spandex?

    I know where to get the fabric. Unfortunately my current lady friend has non-existant sewing machine skills.

    Sorry, congrats, although they're probably not necessary. You do, after all, have Sound Lab mains and have had Acoustat's in the past.:3:
  • 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Congrats! They look terrific and I'm envious.

    I think the $300 was well spent. :)
  • 07-01-2012, 07:26 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    E-Stat, do you know anywhere that will make new covers in Spandex?

    There was a place in Atlanta years ago who contracted with a seamstress who made socks for my 2+2s. I remember first putting them on and initially thinking they were way too short. Like panty hose, you just keep stretching them and they become visually and acoustically transparent.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    I know where to get the fabric. Unfortunately my current lady friend has non-existant sewing machine skills.

    Usually, I'd say you need to find a guy. Well, maybe not in this case. The job is simple though. Attach two ends of a piece of cloth with a single, long seam. Stretch to fit. Re-attach staples at top and bottom.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    Sorry, congrats, although they're probably not necessary. You do, after all, have Sound Lab mains and have had Acoustat's in the past.:3:

    They really sound nice and beam less than either the Monitor 4s or the 2+2s.