You're not in, Kansas, any more.

How about that March Madness upset? The # 1 overall gets beat by a team that nobody, and I mean nobody, would have picked in their pool. Well, maybe some rabid Norther Iowa fans, but seriously, how many across the US had them going at least to the Final Four if not picking them to win it all? It may be the greatest upset in the history of the tournament, and I'm sure Jim Clark is still crying in his beer. Are you out there Jimbo?

One thing that does make me crazy is the babbling of the announcers who feel the need to say something at every possible moment, especially Dick Vitale. He's a likeable guy, but I really can't listen to him for more that a few minutes.

I just got the Pavement 'Greatest Hits', or a least a copy of same, from a friend of mine. While I have everything on it, having one CD with what is considered their best material is fine my me. So I was listening to that while watching hoops, although I admit that I would check in on the game when things got interesting.

Swishdaddy
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I actually watched that game. I felt bad for the losing team. Some took it very hard.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

When it comes to the greatest upsets in the history of the tourney, it's hard to match the '83 final and the '85 final. In those days, dominant players didn't go to the NBA after only one year. It's amazing Houston didn't win a championship.

Well, I see your point, but ponder this...

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    When it comes to the greatest upsets in the history of the tourney, it's hard to match the '83 final and the '85 final. In those days, dominant players didn't go to the NBA after only one year. It's amazing Houston didn't win a championship.
    ...both teams made it to the finals, so they both won 5 games to get there, and at least a couple were against quality opponents. Kansas was the # 1 rated team in the country and lost in the second round, and I don't believe that's ever happened before. Losing a final could be considered an upset, but the biggest of all time? Nah.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

What, no kudos for my word play?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I actually watched that game. I felt bad for the losing team. Some took it very hard.
    I thought it was fairly clever, especially for a geezer who rarely displays such flair (sigh).

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...both teams made it to the finals, so they both won 5 games to get there, and at least a couple were against quality opponents. Kansas was the # 1 rated team in the country and lost in the second round, and I don't believe that's ever happened before. Losing a final could be considered an upset, but the biggest of all time? Nah.
    I suppose it would take rather detailed research to figure out if the No. 1 team in the media polls has lost in the 2nd round, but this is the 3rd time a top-seeded Kansas team has gone down in the 2nd. There's the 1998 loss to 8th-seed Rhode Island and the 1992 loss to 8th-seed UTEP.

Also...note that Northern Iowa currently stands at 21st in the Sagarin ratings. Not too shabby.

http://kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cbsend.htm

He's not exactly my favorite critic but he's not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    I think Finch called them the greatest band of the 90s too.

Forum Regular

Actually.............the Villanova loss is a bigger upset........a 17 over a 2.

It's Kentucky's tourney to lose anyway.

Nova didn't deserve a # 2 seed and proved it.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    Actually.............the Villanova loss is a bigger upset........a 17 over a 2.

It's Kentucky's tourney to lose anyway.
    They were much better earlier in the season but looked like middle 'o the pack toward the end, and that should have been considered.

Kentucky? I certainly hope not, but only because their coach is a big friggin' horse's arse.
    Last edited by Swish; 03-22-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Forum Regular

Kentucky? I certainly hope not, but only because their coach is a big friggin' horse's arse.

lol...............no argument from anyone associated with the SEC............but, he has proven again and again that he somehow finds a way to win.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Here's to No. Iowa, St. Mary's, Cornell and Washington!

KY's coach (big horse's arse) - old team Memphis stripped of 38 wins. It's official as NCAA rejects Memphis's appeal today. Coach moves on with KY though as if nothing ever happened. John Cheney of Temple fame should've kicked his horse's arse when they were together in the Atlantic 10. (Remember that Temple-UMass feud? Classic.) KY is playing really well, but youth may hurt them if DeMarcus Cousins has a big melt down. Those of us who secretly wish he would've stayed at home and played for 'Bama doubt that he has matured enough to keep it together for the whole tournament. KY probably won't be really challenged until the round of 8 (no disrespect to Cornell), especially if West Virginia makes it through. That would mean 2 Cinderellas (Cornell and Wash.) are going home. Huggins was forced out at Cinci by a new university president due to poor graduation rates, a dui, and legal troubles off the court for players. Sports media tended to side with Huggins over the new female president, but a prior probation and the facts suggested Huggins was out of control. A Calapari-Huggins matchup for a chance to advance to the final four says a lot about college athletics in general.

Of the Cinderellas, it looks like No. Iowa has the best chance to advance due to Michigan St.'s loss of a key player to injury, but it's hard to bet against Izzo.

Haven't checked this out for myself, but one of Xavier's players in a post-game conference said that Xavier is the only surviving team to make it to 3 straight sweet 16's. Is it their year to make it to the final 4, or championship game? They seem to be playing for respect. Their next opponent is Kansas St. whose guard play is looking good right now. If any coach can will his team to victory from the bench, that K state coach can. However, Syracuse is looming ahead (barring a highly unlikely upset) for either.

Duke probably has the easiest path to advance to the final 4, but the Midwest Region is anybody's.

You kidding me? That really happened???

I thought it was a nightmare.

Bradly, Bucknell, and now UNI.

On the plus side, I now have time to re-tile the boys bathroom : (

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Well, you still have K-State in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    You kidding me? That really happened???

I thought it was a nightmare.

Bradly, Bucknell, and now UNI.

On the plus side, I now have time to re-tile the boys bathroom : (

jc
    Nice team and they could go further.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    OK, thank God Kentucky is out. John Calipari is a first class douche bag and doesn't deserve to win so much as an all-day sucker.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Now if Baylor can pull off another win, we'll have all the top seeds out.

Why, so many, comma's?

Hey this, is fun'!

Thread Information