Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

Worst Holiday Song

There are several songs that I dearly love to hear each Christmas season. However, along with the good, are the downright terrible, and awful, almost painful to listen to.

My all time most hated song has to be "Christmas Shoes", that sappy piece of crap about the poor kid trying to buy his dying mother a pair of shoes before she goes to see Jesus on Christmas day.

"All I want is a hippopotumus for Christmas" is pretty bad as well. And a recent addition to my library of bad holiday music is the John Denver tune "Daddy please don't get drunk at Christmas".

Please discuss your most hated music of the holiday.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Well, I already listed three in another thread...

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause
    Jingle Bell Rock
    All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth

Add to that, The Little Drummer Boy. I HATE that song. Want to see me go squirrelly? Play the Drummer Boy song for me. I have heard countless versions of it by countless people and I hate each and every one. I recently heard a version by Sister Hazel that was barely stomachable, but I still hated it.

I know some people who love it. I don't get it. It's repetitive; it's boring; it's way to freakin' long and it's the equivalent of nails on a blackboard for me.

All Christmas songs are created equal.. though Christmas elevator muzak is particularly awful

But I don't mind a little Tchaikovsky, Nutcracker Ballet, this is probably the only holiday music I enjoy through the season (which incidentally is overused in holiday commericals!)

cheers,
    elapsed
    Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2 speakers
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Naim FlatCap-2x power supply
    Naim Stageline N phono stage
    Naim NACA5 speaker cabling
    Naim Hi-Line interconnect
    Chord Crimson interconnects
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving
    Wiremold L10320 power strip

System Picture #1 | System Picture #2 | System Design

Grandma got run over by a reindeer.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Grandma got run over by a reindeer.
    Thats a cop-out answer. Only hillbillies and inbreds like that song. Pick a real song that can be universally hated by all.

Such as this little gem:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/cybernana...k/dominick.htm

Please enjoy.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

I'll second Little Drummer Boy.... Oh, the a-go-ny!

You excuse me a mom', I'll just pop out for a barf and an ELP rinse-out....

The little drummer boy does tend to linger on and on. Perhaps if it were either played double time, or the length cut in 1/2.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Naaah. I like it better at 16 1/4!

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Naaah. I like it better at 16 1/4!
    That's 16 2/3.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    A real math wiz ain't he?

I try. You know, it's been awhile! Testy so-and-so....hmph.

I used one of these new contraptions. I think they are called cal-Q-late-hores.

Suspended
    What's the name of the one where it's a conversation between Santa and a 6-year-old who wants a jaguar auto but ends up with a real jag? It was funny once or twice, but after 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 plays, I HATED IT!!!

Ditto Drummer Boy

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Add to that, The Little Drummer Boy. I HATE that song. Want to see me go squirrelly? Play the Drummer Boy song for me. I have heard countless versions of it by countless people and I hate each and every one. I recently heard a version by Sister Hazel that was barely stomachable, but I still hated it.

I know some people who love it. I don't get it. It's repetitive; it's boring; it's way to freakin' long and it's the equivalent of nails on a blackboard for me.
    In my youth, almost 50 years ago , we had a church music directory and minister who really like Little Drummer Boy. Church goer as I then was, I had to listen to it at least two or three times every Christmas season. By Year 2 I really hated that piece of drivel.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I'd have to rank this one way up at the top of my list for destroying the Christmas spirit. AND, it's a Johnny Cash classic to boot.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Yeah, Little Drummer Boy was the first that came to mind.
    I don't really have any strong emotions one way or another for any other Christmas songs of the top of my head, but that one always gets the skip treatment from me.

Well....

I come at this story a little differently. Between being overseas in the Service for 4 Christmas or too broke to come home for Christmas in College my least loved Christmas songs are the ones that make me cry.

"I'll be home for Christmas", is enough to make the most hardened veteran cry. The song bears no resemblence to Christmas in the Projects that I grew up experiencing but anywhere was better than where I was at the time.

"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", is just as bad as the above, the line "through the years we all will be together, if the fates allow...". Are you chittin me, I was freezing my ass of with B Company 2nd Engineer Battalion on the DMZ in Korea in December of '72 I think is was. I started crying and couldn't stop. First Sgt, knew I was a "straight arrow" (no drugs or drink) thought I'd lost my effin' mind. When I finally stopped blubberin' he just sent me to my hooch for a couple of hours. He, being a 20 year man, knew what I was going through but couldn't have it "infecting" the rest of the Company. I was eventually alright.

These are the two songs I can't stand but for obviously different reasons.

Da Worfster

Tink yer onto something there, Creasy (heh heh heh...). A lot of this holiday music has become ingrained into our collective subconcious that it is no wonder that it evokes such a strong response. With "I'll be Home" written during the second World War, the images and thoughts surrounding it can fell even the most stalwart Klingon. It's just that so much of the stuff has been associated with kitch and schmaltz that has become unbearable.

This is my take: When I was growing up, my grandparents would host Christmas parties when friends and family would collect around the piano for some lusty carol singing. I remember the manuscript books from the forties and fifties, with Bing Crosby etc. on the covers. At their release and in the minds of those growing up with them, these documents portrayed something dear and familiar. Now it's trite and hackneyed, with Starbucks and department stores using the tunes as lures to bring in misty eyed and wistful customers.

I just wonder, though: How come there aren't any schmaltzy Hannukah songs out there?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Tink yer onto something there, Creasy (heh heh heh...). A lot of this holiday music has become ingrained into our collective subconcious that it is no wonder that it evokes such a strong response. With "I'll be Home" written during the second World War, the images and thoughts surrounding it can fell even the most stalwart Klingon. It's just that so much of the stuff has been associated with kitch and schmaltz that has become unbearable.

This is my take: When I was growing up, my grandparents would host Christmas parties when friends and family would collect around the piano for some lusty carol singing. I remember the manuscript books from the forties and fifties, with Bing Crosby etc. on the covers. At their release and in the minds of those growing up with them, these documents portrayed something dear and familiar. Now it's trite and hackneyed, with Starbucks and department stores using the tunes as lures to bring in misty eyed and wistful customers.

I just wonder, though: How come there aren't any schmaltzy Hannukah songs out there?
    At the risk of being cheeseball and getting flamed, I kinda like hearing all the goofy Christmas carols for 3-4 weeks a year.

I have a lot of good memories of being with my grandparents (who raised me for several years) and other happy Christmas memories about my family. Actually those were about the only times everyone was together. So the tunes trigger some sort of warm emotional response.

Either that or there's too much rye in my eggnog?

Well you gotta admit, even my post was a little "cheesball" too, come to think of it. Worf just tickled it out and I couldn't resist the impulse to analyze it. Just a habit I have, I reckon....

I agree with you, too. Two, three weeks a year fine. When they start crankin' it up on Halloween I start gettin' ornery. Nice thing is the attending stocking up of Nog, which gives plenty of op to get comfortably numb and oblivious.

(I do not recommend this behavior; this is all metaphorical conjecture, here. I suggest everyone stay stone-sober and completely cogent this Yuletide!)

You softboiled egg-nog swillin' candyass!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I'll join the crowd with the "Little Drummer Boy" vote but I'll up the ante and be even more specific. The MTV version with Bing Crosby and David Bowie makes me wanna take a baseball bat to the androgynous and old alike...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    You softboiled egg-nog swillin' candyass!
    Y'all are a bunch of girly-men. I'm a manly-man!

Yes, you are, Big Daddy; yes you are.

(And like every other proud Texas boy I've known, you got the boots and peashooter to prove it too, doncha? Don't be shy....)

Forum Regular
    Little Drummer Boy gets my vote, I can't stand it.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that I can't stand John Lennon's 'So This Is Christmas'. I like most of his songs, but not that one.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by emesbee
    Little Drummer Boy gets my vote, I can't stand it.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that I can't stand John Lennon's 'So This Is Christmas'. I like most of his songs, but not that one.
    You don't have to go out on a limb. If you hate it, don't feel bad. It's just a song. It's not my favorite either.

But Christmas Shoes trumps all bad songs. It is quite simply the worst.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information