World Cup

Printable View

• 07-09-2010, 04:33 PM
    Auricauricle
    World Cup
    For the past several weeks, I have been watching the excitement at the World Cup. No hard core soccer fan I, this has been a thrilling ride. Now tournament is nearly at an end, and Spain and The Netherlands will see which of the two will reign supreme as world champion. It all comes to the wire this Sunday, and you can bet I will be glued to the set, beer in hand....

But who will win? As I said, I am not a big soccer fan; I have no clue. Who can I consult? Well, I just ask...Paul. Check this out:

http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webconte...0x14717005.jpg

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...lery_id=112534

So far, Paul has managed to successfully pick Spain (with a little help with mussels), and reputedly has a 100% success rate...Now, who will you pick??
  • 07-09-2010, 05:32 PM
    poppachubby
    I am a HUGE fan. I support AS Roma for my club footy. It can go either way Auric, truly. One thing for sure it should be an exciting game with a clear winner at the end of full time.

Only 6 nations have ever lifted the cup, a new one will be added tommorrow.

Spain look better on paper, but Holland have the skills to upset their style. Holland have their own tactics if they can impose them on Spain.
  • 07-13-2010, 09:51 AM
    Worf101
    I got suckered....
    Until knucklehead started co-opting my T.V. I hadn't watched 2 minutes of footy in my entire life. Now, I guess due to the dreaded drone of the vuvuzela, semi-hooked on the sport. I've been infecticated by the "beautiful game", although that final was anything but beautiful let me tell ya. I've a new found respect for the game and some appreciation for it now. I had a good time overall.

Worf
  • 07-13-2010, 09:57 AM
    bobsticks
    What's this "World Cup" of which you speak...? :devil:
  • 07-13-2010, 10:37 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    Until knucklehead started co-opting my T.V. I hadn't watched 2 minutes of footy in my entire life. Now, I guess due to the dreaded drone of the vuvuzela, semi-hooked on the sport. I've been infecticated by the "beautiful game", although that final was anything but beautiful let me tell ya. I've a new found respect for the game and some appreciation for it now. I had a good time overall.

Worf

Worf I would suggest following the English Premier League once it's back in. VERY fast and aggressive game. No diving or faking nonsense. Lots of goals and pace.

Next to this the Spanish League, "La Liga", is another with alot of pace and goals.

I say this because as an American crossing over, many have issue with the perceived slow pace and low scoring. These 2 leagues will entertain you as a newbie to footy. Worf I suggest you take in a NY Red Bulls, MLS game. You can't appreciate how fast these guys play until you're at a live pro match. While in Holland I was able to watch PSV Eindhoven and Ajax Amsterdam play. The hairs on my arms were on end. Incredibly exciting and a real wake up call for me as to the speed of the professional game.

Personally I watch the Italian Serie A, as I mentioned Roma is my squad.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p.../romabadge.jpghttp://www.romafootballshirts.co.uk/ASRomaOldBadge.png

As for the final, the first half was a real snooze. Second half a bit better. Clearly no one wanted to make a defensive error which slowed the pace to a crawl. If I was the coach, I would have pushed everyone forward and gone for the glory. Win or lose, fans respect this.

Look at what happened when Holland subbed Elia into the game. Fast and aggressive, he ran straight at the defenders and gave them alot of problems. He should have started IMO. This is how you deal with a world class team like Spain. Pace and attack and keep them on their toes. Holland gave them alot of space and time with the ball at different points, whcih was their undoing.
  • 07-13-2010, 11:00 AM
    Worf101
    Funny you mention that...
    Ian, the knucklehead, is footy mad. He follows English Premier League, Spanish and Italian. He keeps beggin' for Fox Soccer channel or some such thing. We were in Amsterdam last year and went to see a live Soccer Match. I couldn't get a good idea as to the speed due to our distance from the pitch. I did see Suarez (hand of the devil) score a hat trick he's and amazing player. I'm larnin.

Worf
  • 07-13-2010, 01:51 PM
    dean_martin
    and Paul the Octopus is retiring (or being eaten by Germans). I admit I get drawn in when the World Cup comes around. It's usually South America vs. Europe. I don't expect much out of the US other than getting out of the first round then losing.

The highlight for me this World Cup was the match between Uruguay and Ghana. Whatta finish!
  • 07-13-2010, 07:38 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_martin
    and Paul the Octopus is retiring (or being eaten by Germans). I admit I get drawn in when the World Cup comes around. It's usually South America vs. Europe. I don't expect much out of the US other than getting out of the first round then losing.

The highlight for me this World Cup was the match between Uruguay and Ghana. Whatta finish!

The US are developing their game at a break neck speed. I would say 2 or 3 more cups to be in contention of the last 8.

The U-21 tourney was in Canada a couple of summers ago. It broke attendance records here BTW. Anyhow I had tix for USA v Austria.

The US were so very impresssive. They played a very European style match. The speed and passing were incredible. That squad fgeatured Altidore and Adu. They lost the game, Austria got a lucky goal.

American players are now playing in leagues abroad, more than ever before. They are running with the best of the best. This also helps to advance the game at the pro level.
  • 07-14-2010, 09:53 PM
    3LB
    Is this thing still on?
  • 07-14-2010, 09:57 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LB
    Is this thing still on?

I don't get it, you're joking?