Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wifey is becoming a citizen!

It's been a long long, long road, but it's finally going to happen. Wifey is going to become a US citizen next Friday.
    This road began way back in 2001. After years of filing paperwork, doing interviews, getting pictures and fingerprints taken, and lots of waiting, it's finally coming to an end. But it won't be an unceremonious end. Honey got a call from the INS this morning. It seems that she has been picked to give a speech on what it means to her to become an American citizen! OMG! The pore little thing is 8.759 months prego and is ready to pop at any second. It's a good thing that her best friend (a nurse) has already planned to come with us. I'll have to brush the dust off the old camcorder. It's time to make a DVD! Can't wait to see her waddle up to the mic and give her speech. Hope they have a box for her 4'7" frame to stand on or no one will be able to see her.
    She's frightened as h.ll to get up there and talk, but I'm very excited about it. I told her to Google "what it means to me to become an American citizen." I'm sure she'll get so many ideas that she'll have no trouble putting something together. We'll have to go over many times before she feel comfortable with it. She is very shy and this may seem like torture to her now, but years from now she'll be proud of herself for doing it. (I'm already proud of her)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Congradulations to your wife, GM.

I'm sure she will have no problem with the speech if it comes from her heart, which doubtless it will.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    GM that's fantastic news! I'm sure that you're both very happy about this, but now she'll be a citizen when little Sera is born which must make it even more special.

Public speaking can be terrifying, but there are lots of tips to help her relax. For starters, remind her that most people are afraid to speak in public. In fact, in surveys it is the number one fear...before a fear of dying! The people watching her will admire her for having the courage to do it. If her voice shakes at first, the folks listening will empathize.

Also, nobody knows what she is planning on saying. So no one will know if she makes a mistake. Just keep on talking and she'll be fine.

The best thing for her to do is to write out what she wants to say and then rehearse alone, in front of a mirror, until she is comfortable with her speaking points. Then do her speech to you. Then to a small group of friends. Then, if you have enough friends, to a larger group of friends. That will help to build her confidence before getting up in front of a large group of strangers. In fact, I often find it easier to speak in front of strangers than people I know. If I screw up, I never have to face them again!

I'm happy for you both!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    It's been a long long, long road, but it's finally going to happen...
    When I read the title those were the exact words that came to mind...it has, indeed, been a long, long road. Congrats to both of you and I respect the way that y'all followed the rules and did things the right way despite the truly cumbersome system.

Sometimes good things do happen to good people.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Awww... Shucks.

Thanks guys.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Congratulations, GM! My wife is also from abroad, and this is a big step for sure! Is she going for US citizen only or dual citizenship? Anyway, this is big news and thank you for sharing this with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Congratulations, GM! My wife is also from abroad, and this is a big step for sure! Is she going for US citizen only or dual citizenship? Anyway, this is big news and thank you for sharing this with us.
    She will be a US citizen only. She's very excited about it. A lot going on for us this summer.
    How far along is your wife in the proccess?

She'll be going for dual. I'll certainly fill you in with the particulars when the time comes. Where is your fair lady from, if I may ask?
    Last edited by Auricauricle; 07-17-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Congratulations to your wife and I know she is lucky to have your support. I am glad she is joining our wonderful country. We are proud to have her. You on the other hand....no, just kidding my friend. I hope you have something special planned for her.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Congrats!!!

As a veteran this is one of the things I'm proudest of and happiest to hear. When someone chooses to come here (the RIGHT way), stay and put down roots it makes me think that all the sacrifices were/are (nephew's in Iraq now) worth it. Roots are important. I welcome her and congratulate you both.

Da Worfster

Suspended
    Auric, not many of us like our mother-in-law either but did you have to call her a broad? Well, I guess it's not the worst you could have called her.

GM, you all made it through the Bush years, why bother now?

Seriously, and sincerely, congradulations and well wishes for your wife. Maybe you can tell her the entire AR gang is behind her. It's like the force.

If I may ask, now that you all have suffered the process. How would you feel if the government decided to give amnesty to illegals?

Good going.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Auric, not many of us like our mother-in-law either but did you have to call her a broad? Well, I guess it's not the worst you could have called her.

GM, you all made it through the Bush years, why bother now?

Seriously, and sincerely, congradulations and well wishes for your wife. Maybe you can tell her the entire AR gang is behind her. It's like the force.

If I may ask, now that you all have suffered the process. How would you feel if the government decided to give amnesty to illegals?
    Nothing like throwing a wet blanket on what otherwise was a great love-fest.

Start another thread if you want to turn this into a political discussion.

Suspended
    Markw, the operative word there is "discussion". If he don't want to answer so be it, it's his choice. So go blow.

Markw, the operative word there is "discussion". If he don't want to answer so be it, it's his choice. So go blow.

Love the talk and the bible link. They go together.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Congrats to your wife G!

If I call correctly,isn't another big event just around the corner?????

Hope all is going well in that department as well and that another new citizen will be joining the ranks in your household.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hey congrats GM! 2009 is shaping up to be a pretty good year for you guys. Glad to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Love the talk and the bible link. They go together.
    Have you actually looked at that bible link? I have, and from my perspective it has a great deal too much condemnation of other religions, (e.g. Islam) and various Christian denominations, (Catholic, Calvinist, Jehovah's Witnesses), to have much to do with love.

But enough about that is this happy context.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Have you actually looked at that bible link? I have, and from my perspective it has a great deal too much condemnation of other religions, (e.g. Islam) and various Christian denominations, (Catholic, Calvinist, Jehovah's Witnesses), to have much to do with love.

But enough about that is this happy context.

Feanor I wish we had a sarcasm smilie. My words were meant to be sarcastic. I felt his post was negative in an other wise positive thread. Yes that link is offensive to me and my faith. When I return I will prune this thread leaving only the positive.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Feanor I wish we had a sarcasm smilie. My words were meant to be sarcastic. I felt his post was negative in an other wise positive thread. Yes that link is offensive to me and my faith. When I return I will prune this thread leaving only the positive.
    Good idea, JM.

I decided not to prune. After all GM will not be that surprised by his AR family.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Okay, everybody: GROUP HUG!!!

(Yeah, yeah...I know...I could barf, too....Whatt're ya gonna do, eh?)

Good morning everyone. Happy Monday.

Auricauricle,
    She's from the Philippines. We never considered dual. How much harder is that?

JM,
    Thanks buddy. Several friends are coming with us. We'll probably all go out to dinner on the way home. Not sure if we could stand one more party at this point. We just had the baby shower Saturday. We are planning another party for after the baby day. Then another for my dad's visit with his new fiancé, then my birthday the next week. Can't we just squeeze in an extra congratulations onto one of the many cakes?

Thanks Worf,
    It means a lot to us too. It was a hard road, but worth every bump.

Mr. P,
    Thanks for your well wishes and support.
    The government wanting to give amnesty to illegals is a pet peeve of ours. Just the thought of it, makes my wife very upset. Doesn't do much for my mood either. A while back, I started a thread on that very subject. One of the few times you'd get to see me actually pissed off. I'll try to hunt it down for you and post a link if I can.

Mark,
    Thanks for coming to the rescue. It's OK though. I always joke around with Mr P. He's welcome to make any comments he wants to me. But if he says anything about Mrs GM, I'll have to call my cousin Gweedo.

Hey kid,
    Yeah, several big days on the way. Thanks for the hope.

Kex,
    Yeah. So far 2009 has been very good to us. (knock on my wood) Maybe that's why 2007 and 2008 had to be so rough. It makes this year that much better for us. Thanks.

Feanor,
    Thanks for your input. I'm not so big on religion. In some ways it can be very good though. It helps to teach kids to be nice to each other, but it comes with too much other crap for me. Too many wars fought over who's idea of God is the "right one." It does mean a lot to wifey though.

No pruning needed. I'm happy to have everyone say anything they want.

Suspended
    GM, did you all let the doctor tell you, girl or boy?

GM, did you all let the doctor tell you, girl or boy?
    Yes we did. Her room is all pink and ready for her to show up. Now that we had the shower, we have all kinds of baby things all over the house. A crib here, a playpen there, etc etc... All that's missing is the baby.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information