• 10-04-2005, 07:14 AM
    Kam
    Why does Vick have to apologize?
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Marcus vick made an obscene gesture at the fans and issued an apology (at the vatech v. wvu game). Now i understand that's the politically correct thing for him to do, to hold the student-athletes to a higher standard than to hold the students-students, but.... why? so it's ok for all the students and fans to yell obscenities, curse, obscene gestures, etc. down at the field, but if those self-same pure and innocent fans are the subject of the same treatment from the field.... lord help us all. what's up with that? if a player did give the fans a finger right back for all the fingers and other gestures they received, all it would do is rile up the fans and make them cheer louder for their team. done. that's all. the fans would all think of that person as a big 'ol jerk and badman for losing their cool and doing that back to the fans... umm.... why? isnt that exactly what we're all doing to the players on the field? yet we feel truly insulted when they flip us back off? ummm... again, why? is it right for them to lose their cool, no, they're putting on a show, entertaining us, and having fun or getting paid or about to get paid for doing so. but to have to issue an apology? am not quite sold on that. the only time school admin even attempts to discipline students and fans is when actual assault occurs and they are throwing things down on the field, and then... only barely.

I was at Miami for Wide Right II, and had fsu's tamarack vanover (sp?) given the entire student section the finger after running the opening kickoff back for a touchdown, he'd have every right to (he didnt), because every one of us was giving the um version of fsu's tomohawk chop right back at them whenever their band played on, including our own version fo their lyrics. i dont recall a single apology from a single student or from um in general for the collective insult to fsu. and we were all fine with that, and they were all fine with that, because the next year when we were all up in doak campbell, the exact same was being done back to us.

was it the right thing for vick to apologize? sure, IF he meant it (there's another article on SI or ESPN which i loved, about not saying sorry when you dont mean it, which inspired this rant.) but how about a lil relaxation on the thought police.

and the most assinine rule in college football (while am ranting) why these kids cant celebrate when they score, yet the pros can. you're telling me an 18 year old kid who just scores in some of the biggest sports events in the country cant do a lil dance? but a multi-multi-multi-multi-millionaire prima-donna wide reciever can do any number of antics they want when they score in meaningless games when they are PAID to get into the endzone?

and (while i continue ranting) OU-TX is no longer called the Red River Shootout because that's not PC either?????? WTF????

peace
    k2
  • 10-04-2005, 07:35 AM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam
    and (while i continue ranting) OU-TX is no longer called the Red River Shootout because that's not PC either?????? WTF????

peace
    k2

The Florida/Georgia game is played in Jacksonville, FL every year. It's traditionally been referred to as The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party. I was in Jacksonville last Thanksgiving weekend and asked around about Cocktail Party t-shirts. I was told it's no longer PC to call the Florida/Georgia game The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party. I found an independent sporting goods store that had some "unofficial" Cocktail Party t-shirts in their storage room. I assured them that I was leaving the area soon so they sold me a couple of tees hush-hush.
  • 10-04-2005, 07:42 AM
    kexodusc
    I think he should absolutely apologize. Not because it was the end of the world, not because he should mean it, but because PC is better for the sport than not.
    Being polished and politically correct comes with the territory. Let the fans be the jerks (that's all the fun anyway).
    I think the key here is preventing potentially disastrous situations. It would only take one stinky Aggie to point a finger at the Sooner fans if the game was really getting out of hand for something bad to happen. Think of all the negative crap that came from the Pistons/Pacers game last year.

Sometimes the tough guy attitude crap, as entertaining as it can be at times, will just take more away from the game than not.

As for the TD celebrations...that's the dumbest rule I can think of. Don't show emotion in a game we're trying to sell as being about intense emotion. Duh!

Don't get me started on the Red River Rivalry...
  • 10-04-2005, 07:54 AM
    Kam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I think he should absolutely apologize. Not because it was the end of the world, not because he should mean it, but because PC is better for the sport than not.
    Being polished and politically correct comes with the territory. Let the fans be the jerks (that's all the fun anyway).
    I think the key here is preventing potentially disastrous situations. It would only take one stinky Aggie to point a finger at the fans if the game was really getting out of hand for something bad to happen. Think of all the negative crap that came from the Pistons/Pacers game last year.

Sometimes the tough guy attitude crap, as entertaining as it can be at times, will just take more away from the game than not.

As for the TD celebrations...that's the dumbest rule I can think of. Don't show emotion in a game we're trying to sell as being about intense emotion. Duh!

Don't get me started on the Red River Rivalry...

i agree, i think athletes who represent more than just themselves (in this case, the face of the university they play for) should be held to a ' high moral standard' as is often the case in their student-athlete handbooks and guidelines. they are on a public stage and their actions and words are scrutinized. its just a shame that EVERYONE isnt held to this same standard. i guess it was just more of a rhetorhical rant on the state of the world as capsulized in sports. the 'yes its ok for the fans to do, no its not ok for them to do it' type thing, which i am absolutely guilty of myself to every sporting even i have been (not to mention the miami-fsu games, hell i cheered as loud as everyone else when ray lewis knocked vanover out. i was screaming for them to rip off charlie ward's head as loud as anyone else. btw, wide right II, best sporting event ever i have been a live witness to :) ).

and you're right, the extreme of how far it went was that pacers/pistons debacle. unbelievable how that all went down.
  • 10-08-2005, 01:27 PM
    MomurdA
    shouldnt vick apologiz for smoking dope and sleeping with underage girls first?
  • 10-09-2005, 09:09 AM
    Daddy3Legs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Marcus vick made an obscene gesture at the fans and issued an apology (at the vatech v. wvu game). Now i understand that's the politically correct thing for him to do, to hold the student-athletes to a higher standard than to hold the students-students, but.... why? so it's ok for all the students and fans to yell obscenities, curse, obscene gestures, etc. down at the field, but if those self-same pure and innocent fans are the subject of the same treatment from the field.... lord help us all. WTF????

peace
    k2

Make an obscene gesture and you are WRONG! Period. If anyone looks at an apology as "politically correct" and not "common decency" in a case such as this, then it's no wonder perverted and onscene gestures are rampant in sports and society.

Celebrating and jumping around after a score is another story. The rules against celebration are clearly ridiculous. But, there is no place for obscenity in gesturing or celebrating.

"WTF" means what? Certainly nothing obscene, I'm sure. Get real and get off your high horse. You're just as gutter as the rest of us "MFs" --- "HOLMES"!!!
  • 10-09-2005, 09:14 AM
    Daddy3Legs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MomurdA
    shouldnt vick apologiz for smoking dope and sleeping with underage girls first?

Why? There's not one phony moron on this forum that wouldn't do the same thing if they had a chance. If you're 18 and the girl is 17, you get crucified for sleeping with "underage"
    girls?

When I was a freshman in college, I dated another freshman - she didn't turn 18 until the 2nd semester. So I guess I am guilty of statutory rape, right? I was 18 she was 17, so I am a MENACE to society, right??

Some of you idiots LOVE to buy into the media's bull**** and slanted attacks on athletes of certain backgrounds. The same media types are the ones that will do anything or interpret anything in a way that sheds a negative light on them.

Can't some of you THINK for yourselves?

Why should he apologize for smoking dope? He's as sorry for smoking dope as anyone else in here is for having smoked it while in high school, college, or last night, for that matter. If he's not sorry, he shouldn't apologize.

Now, I think it is WRONG to break the law, and smoking dope is illegal. However, if the man is punished or fined or somehow faces legal consequences, why then does he HAVE TO face the media and apologize?

All I know is that had he been nailed for smoking weed at my alma mater, he would have been expelled before the news of the arrest made national news. For THAT, I am sure, he would be sorry!

It is AFTER a school takes appropriate action and dismisses troublemakers from the campus that an apology would matter. Why? Because at THAT point we would know that in saying "I am sorry", a "former" student athlete will in fact BE SORRY!!!!!!! Anything else is just rhetoric.

As far as VA Tech is concerened, Vick can copulate and dope his way to the National Championship and mega dollars that help pay for the new wing on the University Hospital as long as he contiues to apologize along the way!!!!!
  • 10-09-2005, 09:23 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddy3Legs

Can't some of you THINK for yourselves?

Sure, we all think that.............. and............... while............. and.........
    That's why we all........ at the thought of......... or........... with............
    Someone....... when.......

What do you think?
  • 10-09-2005, 09:35 AM
    Daddy3Legs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Sure, we all think that.............. and............... while............. and.........
    That's why we all........ at the thought of......... or........... with............
    Someone....... when.......

What do you think?

I have much respect for those who are adept at conveying their thoughts --- no matter how simple.
  • 11-26-2005, 06:21 PM
    Daddy3Legs
    ....and he still doesn't have to apologize for SHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Wake up in 2005!!!!!!