Thread: Why?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Why?

Brazil arrests British would-be spider smuggler

RIO DE JANEIRO (AFP) - A Briton has been arrested in Rio de Janeiro airport after security X-rays discovered he was trying to smuggle 1,000 live spiders out in his luggage, reports said Thursday.

The man, unnamed in online reports by the state Agencia Brasil and other outlets, was apprehended late Wednesday for violating laws banning the export of Brazilian animals without authorization.

He faces imprisonment of up to a year and a fine of up to 2.3 million dollars for trying to fly out with the arachnids in his two suitcases.

After being charged and processed, he was released on bail pending a court date.

The seized spiders were taken by Brazil's environmental watchdog agency Ibama to a museum in Rio's federal university

Maybe he has a fly infestation at home.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    He faces imprisonment of up to a year and a fine of up to 2.3 million dollars for trying to fly out with the arachnids in his two suitcases.
    Not too harsh at all. Apparently Brazilians cherish samba, football and spiders.

Chicago IL
    2.3 million for having spiders in your luggage! Ha ha that is funny!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'm glad there are laws against that. He should be flogged for trying to spread those nasty things.

Brazil arrests British would-be spider smuggler

RIO DE JANEIRO (AFP) - A Briton has been arrested in Rio de Janeiro airport after security X-rays discovered he was trying to smuggle 1,000 live spiders out in his luggage, reports said Thursday.

The man, unnamed in online reports by the state Agencia Brasil and other outlets, was apprehended late Wednesday for violating laws banning the export of Brazilian animals without authorization.

After being charged and processed, he was released on bail pending a court date.

The seized spiders were taken by Brazil's environmental watchdog agency Ibama to a museum in Rio's federal university
    FA, I'm sure you're aware that transporting species from one global locality to another is a huge ecological problem, (e.g. rabbits and frogs to Australia).

That said, it's not clear why the exporting locality, (versus the importing locality), would care so much.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    FA, I'm sure you're aware that transporting species from one global locality to another is a huge ecological problem, (e.g. rabbits and frogs to Australia).

That said, it's not clear why the exporting locality, (versus the importing locality), would care so much.
    Perhaps my question should have been more specific. I was questioning why anyone would want to smuggle 1000 spiders.

What would one do with 1000 spiders?

Perhaps my question should have been more specific. I was questioning why anyone would want to smuggle 1000 spiders.

What would one do with 1000 spiders?
    I suggested a fly problem back home.
    Or maybe they are tasty. A little BBQ sauce on them and they slide right down.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information