Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Ajani
    Assuming the events actually unfolded in that manner, then clearly there is no excusing the teacher's behaviour nor the principle's lack of appropriate action.

To be honest, I blame that kind of situation on nasty politics: convincing ignorant people that all their problems are due to someone else... "They took 'ar jowbs!" and caused our taxes to be raised... It's a real shame that an immigrant country like the US is now becoming more and more anti-immigration...

It's all very sad. Discrimination isn't justified

I find can't blame Latinos and others who go to the US to make a buck. The vast majority of them, (legal or illegal), are in the US to work for better wages than they can get back home -- they're not there to with the primary aim of exploiting the welfare, health, or education systems. Nor I don't blame them for wanting to retain vestiges of their own, familiar home countries.

It is wrong to discriminate against these people. They are only doing what the ancestors of all native-born people did, (including those of so-called aboriginals).

If can be construed that immigrants are stealing jobs or leaning on public systems, it isn't their fault. It is the fault of employers who relentlessly seek the cheapest possible labor they can find -- lowest wages, no benefits, no resistance to employer abuse & exploitation.

Various measures would help to ensure justice to native-born and immigrant workers alike:
    • Make it heavily fined offense to employ an illegal immigrant; this should be whether or not the employee knows or doesn't know that the person is illegal -- no excuses like "I didn't know" or "they showed me forged documentation".
    • Make it a criminal offense (vs. misdemeanor) to be in the country illegally
    • Institute and enforce a universal identification system: everybody gets a maximally secure, biometric ID record whereby their identity and citizen status is proven legally.
    • Maintain and strength worker health & safety standards (that must apply regardless of worker status).
    • Define and enforce a reasonable minimum wage
    • Define & enforce rules that prevent the exploitation of temporary and part-time workers.
    • And given all the above, make it illegal to deny education, health, or welfare benefits to residents regardless of citizenship or immigration status.

So the teacher asking a question---potentially inappropriate, we don't know the context---is worth a million dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    It's a real shame that an immigrant country like the US is now becoming more and more anti-immigration...
    No, it's not. It's a matter of reasoned proportion and no one should be made to feel bad for the recognition of that.

That said, there are issues at play and both sides have informed opinion,,,ridiculous, horseshit lawsuits like this go a long way toward preventing any useful dialogue.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    So the teacher asking a question---potentially inappropriate, we don't know the context---is worth a million dollars?
    2 things here:

1) According to the article, she did a lot more than ask a question... She proceeded to rant about Mexicans causing her taxes to be raised... what she is alleged to have said is deeply offensive...

2) I don't think it is worth a million dollars - that is a frivolous lawsuit... The aim should be to have teacher disciplined or even fired, not to get money...

Ajani
    No, it's not. It's a matter of reasoned proportion and no one should be made to feel bad for the recognition of that.

That said, there are issues at play and both sides have informed opinion,,,ridiculous, horseshit lawsuits like this go a long way toward preventing any useful dialogue.
    Yes it is... There is a nasty racist undertone in a lot of the political arguments against illegal immigration.... And there is way too much effort to ignite the hatred of ignorant masses...

However, you are correct that illegal immigration is a serious issue and needs to be addressed...

Not necessarily.

Thread Information