Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who Owns The Zebra?

The facts essential to solving the problem-which can indeed be solved by combining deduction, analysis, and sheer persistence-are as follows:

1. There are five houses, each of a different color and inhabited by men of different nationalities, with different pets, drinks and automobiles.

2. The Englishman lives in a red house.

3. The Spaniard owns a dog.

4. Coffee is drunk in the green house.

5. The Ukrainian drinks tea.

6. The green house is immediately to the right of the ivory house.

7. The Ford driver owns snails.

8. A toyota driver lives in the yellow house.

9. Milk is drunk in the middle house.

10. The Norwegian lives in the first house on the left.

11. The man who drives the Chevy lives in the house next to the man with the fox.

12. A Toyota is parked at the house next to the house where the horse is kept.

13. The Dodge owner drinks orange juice.

14. The Japanese owner owns a Porche.

15. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.

Now, who drinks water and who ownes the zebra?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

This forum is filled with good minds. I know you people can get this.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Come on guys (& galls)

Don't give up on this. I know you can do it.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Give me some time. I love **** like this. I'm up for the challenge! But if I find out that there's no real answer and you're just pulling my leg, I'm gonna tell the whole world that you have a pink kitchen and you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Give me some time. I love **** like this. I'm up for the challenge! But if I find out that there's no real answer and you're just pulling my leg, I'm gonna tell the whole world that you have a pink kitchen and you like it.
    I do have a pink kitchen and I do like it. H.ll, I even posted pics of it for the whole world to see.
    But there really is an answer. Can I pull on your leg anyhow?

Im not doing your homework

Well this is what I came up with:

The Norweigen lives in a yellow house, first on the left, therefore has a toyota. Because of the rules on the arrangement of colors matching nationality and nationality matching drinks, I deduce that it is the Norweigen who owns the zebra and drinks water, primarily because I think water is the only option for the norweigen. The norweigen, as far I figured cannot drink coffee, or orange juice or tea or milk. I hope this is right as I could not complete all possible arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Well this is what I came up with:

The Norweigen lives in a yellow house, first on the left, therefore has a toyota. Because of the rules on the arrangement of colors matching nationality and nationality matching drinks, I deduce that it is the Norweigen who owns the zebra and drinks water, primarily because I think water is the only option for the norweigen. The norweigen, as far I figured cannot drink coffee, or orange juice or tea or milk. I hope this is right as I could not complete all possible arrangements.
    I also got that the Norwegian drinks water, but confirmation of the Zebra will have to wait until tomorrow.

Your right; my scheme accounts for the water but not the animal.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Your right; my scheme accounts for the water but not the animal.
    Nope, I think you're right paul, I got the same answer of water and zebra...
    The animal scheme is as follows:

Spaniard = dog
    ford = snails,
    Horse = norwegian's neighbor
    by default, that leaves zebra and fox...just need to place the fox...50/50 chance?!

of course, i could be wrong....

You guys & dolls are on the right track with most of this. But not all is correct. I will PM the answer to anyone who wants to give up.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Nope, I think you're right paul, I got the same answer of water and zebra...
    The animal scheme is as follows:

Spaniard = dog
    ford = snails,
    Horse = norwegian's neighbor
    by default, that leaves zebra and fox...just need to place the fox...50/50 chance?!

of course, i could be wrong....
    11. The man who drives the Chevy lives in the house next to the man with the fox.

ok, pretty darn sure Norway guy = fox now!...I isolated his neighbors facts to solve it...
    His neighbor is Ukranian or japanese, because he can't be spanish, english or norwegian on accounts of clues 1,2, and 15.
    If he was Japanese he owns a Porche.

If he was Ukranian he drinks tea.

We know neighbor doesn't drive Ford or Toyota, or Drive a Dodge AND drink OJ on account of that mutual relationship. We know he doesn't drink oj, water, coffee (clue 4) or milk (clue 9), so that leaves Tea, which means neighbor = Ukranian.

So the neighbor now doesn't drive the porche, Toyota, Dodge or ford, so he drives a Chevy...

Now we solve the Spaniards profile then place the houses:

Spaniard owns a dog, and doesn't drive Ford, Toyota, Chevy, or Porche, so that leaves the dodge and OJ!!!
    Which means he can't be the middle milk house and must be the Ivory house...House order is:
    Yellow, Blue (and since green coffee house follows Ivory), Red, Ivory Green.

So the middle milk house is Red, which means the English dude lives there...and the Japanese Porche driver is at the end in the green house. Only car left is that ford with the snails.

Since the blue house has the chevy, next to the fox, Blue house has the fox, and greeb house has the zebra!!!

So the answer is Norwegian = water
    Japanese = Zebra

Am I even close?

Blue house has the fox?

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Blue house has the fox?

Meant yellow house had fox....

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

A more...

...important question:

Who stole the kishka?

BTW...the man who owns the fox, drinks water and the man who lives in the green house, owns the zebra...and in my version (the one I'm familiar with, that is) they don't own cars, they smoke cigarettes...

jimHJJ(...and the green grass grew all around, all around...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...important question:

Who stole the kishka?

BTW...the man who owns the fox, drinks water and the man who lives in the green house, owns the zebra...and in my version (the one I'm familiar with, that is) they don't own cars, they smoke cigarettes...

jimHJJ(...and the green grass grew all around, all around...)
    That's the old version and the answer can be found on the internet.

The blue house owns the horse.

A Toyota is parked next to the house where the horse is kept.

I can't remember how I figured it out but the Norwegian lives in the first house on the left, which is yellow and he drives a Toyota. Since the Norwegian lives in the first house (and drives the Toyota), there can only be one house next to him. Therefore, that house has the horse.

Also, The Norwegian lives next to the Blue house, so the horse house is blue.

So, here's the dilemma that I'm trying to figure out. I think the key is clue number 11. I thought that before GMichael posted that clue earlier.

The man who drives the Chevy lives in the house next to the man with the fox.

So, who drives the Chevy? Is it the man in the blue house with the horse, or not? If it is, then the Norwegian has the fox. If it's not then, by process of elimination (see Kex's post on animals), the Norwegian has the Zebra.

AND NO CHEATING BY LOOKING THIS UP ON THE INTERNET!!!!

Yellow, Blue (and since green coffee house follows Ivory), Red, Ivory Green.
    Couldn't the house order be Yellow, Blue, Ivory, Green, Red?

That's the house order that I formulated last night.

No, there's a clue that prevents this if you keep going...

That's the house order that I formulated last night.
    I think that you guys are getting stuck by forgetting Clue 9. "Milk is drunk in the middle house."

I think that you guys are getting stuck by forgetting Clue 9. "Milk is drunk in the middle house."
    But I see nothing that leads to the conclusion that milk is drunk in the red house. Or that the middle house is red.

I came up with two possible house orders last night...

Yellow, Blue, Red, Ivory, Green
    or

Yellow, Blue, Ivory, Green, Red.

I could find nothing that confirmed either order. Kex, if I'm missing something, please share.

The Spaniard can't be in the milk house (dodge and OJ), and he must be in the Ivory house...for him to be in the ivory house, clue 6 forces the ivory house to be house # 4, left to right. This is because he drives a dodge and drinks the oj (not milk in the middle house).
    You may wish to refer to my earlier post to see how i arrived at the spaniards profile (cars isolated it for me by eliminating possibilities)

Please excuse me for a few minutes while I go clean up the mess made from my head exploding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information