Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hint: Make up little sticky notes with each of the pieces of information given. Then put them together like pieces of a puzzle. Should take about 10 minutes.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I put together a "can go together" "can't go together" list and went from there. Got the water question, felt satisfied, now I'm gonna watch FA clean up her head.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    ok, pretty darn sure Norway guy = fox now!...I isolated his neighbors facts to solve it...
    His neighbor is Ukranian or japanese, because he can't be spanish, english or norwegian on accounts of clues 1,2, and 15.
    If he was Japanese he owns a Porche.

If he was Ukranian he drinks tea.

We know neighbor doesn't drive Ford or Toyota, or Drive a Dodge AND drink OJ on account of that mutual relationship. We know he doesn't drink oj, water, coffee (clue 4) or milk (clue 9), so that leaves Tea, which means neighbor = Ukranian.

So the neighbor now doesn't drive the porche, Toyota, Dodge or ford, so he drives a Chevy...

Now we solve the Spaniards profile then place the houses:

Spaniard owns a dog, and doesn't drive Ford, Toyota, Chevy, or Porche, so that leaves the dodge and OJ!!!
    Which means he can't be the middle milk house and must be the Ivory house...House order is:
    Yellow, Blue (and since green coffee house follows Ivory), Red, Ivory Green.

So the middle milk house is Red, which means the English dude lives there...and the Japanese Porche driver is at the end in the green house. Only car left is that ford with the snails.

Since the blue house has the chevy, next to the fox, Blue house has the fox, and greeb house has the zebra!!!

So the answer is Norwegian = water
    Japanese = Zebra

Am I even close?
    Okay, I have pieced my head back together, consumed a few Cosmopolitan's and am back at work on this puzzle.

Kex, I have reviewed this post in detail. I don't see how you concluded that the Norwegian's neighbour (who, I agree, must be either the Ukranian or Japanese) can't drink orange juice. I also don't see how you concluded that the Spaniard can't drive a Chevy.

BTW, here's how I chose to approach this....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Got my hubby working on this now. He's way smarter than I am. Let's see how he fares.

Forum Regular

How can anyone own the Zebra...

...when no Zebra is mentioned in the setup? Are we to assume that each neighbor owns one and only one pet?

Laz

Quote Originally Posted by trollgirl
    ...when no Zebra is mentioned in the setup? Are we to assume that each neighbor owns one and only one pet?

Laz
    The exact reason why I am still in the starting blocks.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Quote Originally Posted by trollgirl

Laz
    Yes, only one drink per household also. Strange world.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

My husband solved the full puzzle. However, he had to make an assumption to do so.

GMichael, are we to assume that the person who drinks water and the person who owns the Zebra are two different people?

If so, then the because the Norwegian drinks water, he can't also own the Zebra. Therefore, the Japanese guy owns the Zebra.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    My husband solved the full puzzle. However, he had to make an assumption to do so.

GMichael, are we to assume that the person who drinks water and the person who owns the Zebra are two different people?

If so, then the because the Norwegian drinks water, he can't also own the Zebra. Therefore, the Japanese guy owns the Zebra.
    If you follow through to completion, and eliminate possibilities, you don't have to make that assumption...there's only one possible solution

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    If you follow through to completion, and eliminate possibilities, you don't have to make that assumption...there's only one possible solution
    That may be true, but we're not seeing it. Neither my Hubby nor I can find any way to solve this conclusively, without making that assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Okay, I have pieced my head back together, consumed a few Cosmopolitan's and am back at work on this puzzle.

Kex, I have reviewed this post in detail. I don't see how you concluded that the Norwegian's neighbour (who, I agree, must be either the Ukranian or Japanese) can't drink orange juice. I also don't see how you concluded that the Spaniard can't drive a Chevy.

BTW, here's how I chose to approach this....
    Okay, neighbour is Japanese or Ukranian...if he's Japanese, he drives a Porche...If he's
    ukranian, he drinks tea. Those are given clues. The key here is that the guy who drinks orange juice ALSO drives a dodge...get it? The ukranian drinks tea, not OJ so he can't drive the dodge...The Japanese drives a Porche, so he can't drink OJ. For him to drink Oj, he owns a Dodge, not possible...since the guy who drinks orange juice drives a dodge.

We arrive at the fact the Spaniard doesn't drive a Chevy because at this point Chevy is the only possible car for the Ukranian...we place the Ukranian in the blue house with the horse...Ford driver has snails...not a horse, so he doesn' drive a ford...or Porche, that's the Japanese guts...Toyota belongs to the Norweigan...that leaves the Chevy or the dodge...We know the dodge can't be at the house that drinks milk or coffee, so that places the dodge at the Ivory house, by process of elimination the Chevy is at the Ukranian's house, not the Spaniards.

Just in case

anyone was wondering, Kex got the answer correct already.

Congratulations on solving this Kex! This was fun.

Actually, I couldn't have done the first part so fast if not for you and paul...man, I was way off. Not too good at starting these things...

Gald to help. It reminded me a bit of the analytical section of the GRE exam, which I hear is a lot like the LSAT.

The AR crew make a good team.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Smile Answer to who owns the zebra!

I believe the answer to "Who owns the zebra?" is the Japanese gentleman. Please, let me know if I am correct.
    Thanks.
    Harry A.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information