Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

What the hell yellow!

As many of you know I like things that are French or remind me of Paris. I love yellows and blues together. I decided to hire a painter to paint my walls yellow. We looked at sample colors and between his times in Provence and my visiting Paris we thought we had the perfect yellow. This is what I came home to expecting the place to look like the paint sample we had chosen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What the hell yellow!-004-smaller.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Well it certainly is....cheerful!

Thanks but I wanted it to look French not French's Mustard.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    As many of you know I like things that are French or remind me of Paris. I love yellows and blues together. I decided to hire a painter to paint my walls yellow. We looked at sample colors and between his times in Provence and my visiting Paris we thought we had the perfect yellow. This is what I came home to expecting the place to look like the paint sample we had chosen.
    Yikes! The yellow is great per se. But really it really doesn't go with your couch or drapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Yikes! The yellow is great per se. But really it really doesn't go with your couch or drapes.

Because it is not the right yellow! The curtains have two shades of blue and the couch has blue and my two chairs are blue. The right yellow would have been pretty.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

What does Corky think of it?

Because it is not the right yellow! The curtains have two shades of blue and the couch has blue and my two chairs are blue. The right yellow would have been pretty.
    Yes, perhaps. It would need to be a paler, somewhat less saturated yellow. Have to say it: I hate the drapes in any, or maybe it's just the picture.

Yes, perhaps. It would need to be a paler, somewhat less saturated yellow. Have to say it: I hate the drapes in any, or maybe it's just the picture.

What is your advice great interior decorator? I should mention the curtains look like they have a sheen but that is the effect of the flash.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

What is your advice great interior decorator? I should mention the curtains look like they have a sheen but that is the effect of the flash.
    Now, now, I make no claim to greatness. But the intricate, scroll work design of the drape fabric clashes with the rustic fabric of the couch ... no?

Now, now, I make no claim to greatness. But the intricate, scroll work design of the drape fabric clashes with the rustic fabric of the couch ... no?

Only until I buy the new settee. This is a work in progress. If I were wealthy sure I could do a room all at once but such is not my lot.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    What does Corky think of it?

I do not think he liked being in his bedroom while someone was in the apartment. When I came home and let him out, while the painter was still there, he was very affectionate and stayed close. I wonder if he thought I was home and ignoring him. I do think the paint smell affected his appetite I know the color affected me.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    If you're going to keep that color, I'd suggest crown molding. Even if you change colors later, the crown molding adds elegance and sophistication, but crown molding really, really is almost required for bold wall color (IMO, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    If you're going to keep that color, I'd suggest crown molding. Even if you change colors later, the crown molding adds elegance and sophistication, but crown molding really, really is almost required for bold wall color (IMO, of course).
    That's a great suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post

I agree with crown molding but that is more I want to get into for a rented apartment.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    The problem is this...color is light. You can go to a paint store and look at colors all day long under fluorescent lights and it won't tell you squat about what it's going to look like on your walls, in your lighting. When you hire an interior decorator, do they say: "come on over to my office and we'll pick colors"? Nope! They have to come to your house and see those colors on your wall, in your light. That's why most major paint retailers are now offering 1/2 pint samples for you to try out. You can get a few square feet on the wall, which will really help you home in on that Perfect Color. Don't forget to look at it in the morning, the afternoon and the evening...as the light changes, your perception of the color will change. Better to make a $3.00 mistake than a $25 to $35 one.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Yellows are the trickiest colors to get "right" They have a way of "taking off" on you, usually in the wrong direction. Try going to a lighter, more muted version than what you think you want.
    Last edited by RoyY51; 09-29-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyY51 View Post
    The problem is this...color is light. You can go to a paint store and look at colors all day long under fluorescent lights and it won't tell you squat about what it's going to look like on your walls, in your lighting. When you hire an interior decorator, do they say: "come on over to my office and we'll pick colors"? Nope! They have to come to your house and see those colors on your wall, in your light. That's why most major paint retailers are now offering 1/2 pint samples for you to try out. You can get a few square feet on the wall, which will really help you home in on that Perfect Color. Don't forget to look at it in the morning, the afternoon and the evening...as the light changes, your perception of the color will change. Better to make a $3.00 mistake than a $25 to $35 one.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Yellow are the trickiest colors to get "right" They have a way of "taking off" on you, usually in the wrong direction. Try going to a lighter, more muted version than what you think you want.

Very good advice and where the hell were you when I needed you. Yes yellow really got away from me. I wish the painter I hired had as much knowledge. I should have chosen the paint independently of him and just had him apply it. Lesson learned and thanks for the information.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    My pleasure.

Well I think I need more light so I am going to switch to the shear curtains. I will also bring out the rug I have used in the past. It has more blues and some yellow. I saw a settee that was beautiful and the right shade of blue but the wrong price at $4,600.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Here is a new idea I had. I combined my new curtains that I like with my shears for more light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What the hell yellow!-002-smaller.jpg   What the hell yellow!-006-smaller.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I agree crown molding is a must. I like the yellow - furniture and drapes need to somehow match up. Softer colours probably go better with bold wall colours.

Here's a page of room ideas where yellow is prominent

Warm up the season with yellow walls, fabrics and sunny accents

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    I agree crown molding is a must. I like the yellow - furniture and drapes need to somehow match up. Softer colours probably go better with bold wall colours.

Here's a page of room ideas where yellow is prominent

Warm up the season with yellow walls, fabrics and sunny accents
    There might be simpler alternatives to crown molding. I have seen plan white, embossed wall paper strips, ~6" wide, that would have a similar effect.

I have installed crown molding, and although it doesn't require a lot of technical skill, it is a pain. Transporting, precision cutting, and installing long strips high on the wall is tedious.

Here are a couple of pics -- yes, the walls are yellow I also installed the wainscotting ...

Last edited by Feanor; 10-01-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Monday the dining area walls are going to become steel blue. The painter is coming at 8:00 AM to transform my walls. This blue is similar to the light blue in my curtains. I will post a picture or a red X for some.

I have been watching too much HGTV and David Bromstad told me not to be afraid of color. So David hold me and I will not be afraid of color anymore.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Hello Yellow meet Blue

I love yellow and blue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What the hell yellow!-003-smallest.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    I only have three words for you... Sunblock SPF 1000

Seriously, it is rather intense, but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

How about a new curtain???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What the hell yellow!-004-smaller-new-curtain.jpg  

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    Or how about some strips??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What the hell yellow!-white-strips.jpg   What the hell yellow!-brown-strips.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information