Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

Lightbulb plasma, anti-matter, dark matter and lunar colonies...

A NASA update. I saw a presentation by a NASA physicist/engineer last night that was really fascinating. This physicist is presently working on a plasma propulsion rocket that will allow humans to travel to Mars. His slide show included an artist's rendition of the craft. It reminded quite a bit of space artist's Chesley Bonnestell's work.

He also said that a newer program is underway to develop an antimatter propulsion rocket. We are currently able to produce antimatter in small quantities. Antimatter in the size of a penny can produce heat up to 50,000 degrees F (I think I heard him correctly).

Apparently, either one or both of the Voyager probes is/are headed to the outer edge of our solar system at a much faster rate of speed than NASA anticipated. Some believe that the ostensibly blank space just outside our solar system actually contains matter, currently labelled dark matter, and that this dark matter may be having an effect on Voyager.

Finally, this guy was almost accepted as an astronaut and as part of the process he was able to meet several including two who have landed on the moon (he wouldn't name names). It seems that the old fly boys are pushing for a colony on the moon which may be likely in about 40 years.

Fascinating stuff as told by a local boy who's made it big at NASA. Unfortunately, his presentation was part of a banquet for honors students and was limited by time.

Forum Regular
    Did you see those pictures of the first extra-solar planet? 'Twas a gas giant 5 times the size of jupiter, orbiting a brown dwarf(kind of fuzzy as it was thousands of light years away). Hopefully in the next ten years, technology will allow people to see thousands of new worlds in greater resolution and detail.
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    Did you see those pictures of the first extra-solar planet? 'Twas a gas giant 5 times the size of jupiter, orbiting a brown dwarf(kind of fuzzy as it was thousands of light years away). Hopefully in the next ten years, technology will allow people to see thousands of new worlds in greater resolution and detail.
    No, our NASA presenter did not have a slide of that planet, but I will look for pics on the web. Thanks for the heads-up. He did discuss the number of planets discovered thus far, but no pics. But this guy began his career working with the Hubbel before getting into propulsion. There's no telling what he's seen out there!

Forum Regular
    The future where dark matter can be used to generate energy is probably too far away. Now we have just learned how to use solar energy. We are still a young civilization.

Forum Regular
    Indeed, the sci-fi future will not come soon, but many technologies have already been able to change our world quite a lot. I can state the fact that solar energy has become more accessible to everyone, and this is already a big step towards making the future cleaner and closer. I advise you to read more information here , if you are interested in this topic.

Thread Information