Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar

Micro Brewery Beer

Hi Guys, Looking for a new micro brew to wet my whistle. I like the pumpkin ales and such that come out this time of year. Went into the store this morning and was overwhelmed by the number of beers. I'm not much for the heavy stouts. I like the pale ales and lagers.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Suspended
    I just had a bottle of Founders Cerise Cherry beer that was nice. I'm not a fruit beer nut but it was given to me to try.

http://www.foundersbrewing.com/found...d=67&Itemid=66

Currently working through cases of:

Slam Dunkle by Wayerbacher
    Double Witt from River Horse
    60 Minute IPA from Dog Fish Head
    Shock Top Belgian style White by ssshhhhhhhhh Michelob

Thanks for the tips. One of the younger guys at the store gave me a hand. He hadn't heard of the Slam Dunkle or the Double Witt. He said the 60 minute IPA was a big seller, so of course they were out of it. I spotted the 90 minute IPA, but he said it was really strong. They had the Shock Top so I got a 6 pack of that and he recommended another pale ale called Primal Pale Ale. So a little later I'll kick back, turn on the tube amp and sample a couple of these. Thanks for the suggestions.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Suspended
    Over the weekend I picked up a few larger bottles in singles.

St Bernardus Wit was excellent but then again all their ales are, and Belgian not US Micros.

I also picked up a few by Southern Tier but have not had them yet:
    Barleywine ale
    and the Creme Broulet (cant spell) I had this one on tap once and it tasted just as the name implies.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Jack, if you like pumpkin ales, then keep an eye out for Dogfish Head's Punkin' Ale. It's good stuff! Plus, that guy was on the money re: 60 Minute IPA which is great. I need to try the 90 Minute myself, just haven't gotten around to it.

Stone IPA and Stone Ruination in the 22oz bottle are good are good and hoppy with citrus notes. (I like hop bombs so you may want to work up to these.)

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues is good. It comes in cans only, but it made me re-think my anti-can prejudice.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is often recommended at beeradvocate.com, but I skipped it and went straight to their Torpedo which is a huge piney hop bomb. Pretty good, if you're prepared to pucker.

A little less hoppy and a tad sweeter is Denver Pale Ale from Great Divide. It's a good summer brew as is Sierra Nevada's Summer Fest (crisp and refreshing) and Bell's Oberon. Bell's Two Hearted is a good IPA.

Brooklyn Lager.

Just about anything from Lagunitas if you can get it in your area.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Jack, if you like pumpkin ales, then keep an eye out for Dogfish Head's Punkin' Ale. It's good stuff! Plus, that guy was on the money re: 60 Minute IPA which is great. I need to try the 90 Minute myself, just haven't gotten around to it.

Stone IPA and Stone Ruination in the 22oz bottle are good are good and hoppy with citrus notes. (I like hop bombs so you may want to work up to these.)

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues is good. It comes in cans only, but it made me re-think my anti-can prejudice.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is often recommended at beeradvocate.com, but I skipped it and went straight to their Torpedo which is a huge piney hop bomb. Pretty good, if you're prepared to pucker.

A little less hoppy and a tad sweeter is Denver Pale Ale from Great Divide. It's a good summer brew as is Sierra Nevada's Summer Fest (crisp and refreshing) and Bell's Oberon. Bell's Two Hearted is a good IPA.

Brooklyn Lager.

Just about anything from Lagunitas if you can get it in your area.
    I like the 60 and 90 Minutes but the 120 is a bit over the top and does not remind you of beer. Kicks yer booty tho!

I'll have to give the single bottles a closer look, now I have a lot to try. Going to an end of summer party this Friday and the guys usually bring a sixer of their brew of the week. Then we trade and that way you get to try some new brews.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Couldn't name names, but here's a li'l shop that opened up here a few months ago. It's been a boon to us with a mouth watering for something different and a nice kick to the town who needed to step up to the 21st Century....

http://www.charlestonbeerexchange.com/

Let's just say if they sold stock, I'd be there already....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Thread Information