Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Romanticist Philosopher

Lightbulb Turn on your TV!!!! Bin Laden Dead!!!!

Just heard that it appears American miltary forces have killed Osama Bin Laden and have his body in custody. Stay Tuned to your favorite news outlet. President Obama is about to speak on the matter. What a time we live in. I am excited to here this news but a bit dazed and confused with the targeted Nato attacks in Libya and how personal they seem to be. Uprisings in the Mideast only add to the air of optimism. Wow.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well they finally got that bastard.

Huzzah!!!!

I found out about 11:15 PM Sunday night EST that OBL was DOA. I found out from the K.N.N. "Knuclehead News Network". My son... affectionately known as "Da Knucklehead" had just came in from a graduation/birthday celebration for a classmate. He was doing his typical wandering around getting ready for school dance when he throws out the following on his way up to bed.

"Hey Pops they got Osama Bin Ladin tonight, he's dead."

"Yeah right kid, pull the other one while you're at it."

"No seriously, I heard about an hour ago."

I thought on this for a second, turned to CNN saw the headlines... then I got mad.

"You knew this an hour ago?"

"Yeah...,"

"And you were gonna tell me when?"

"It kinda slipped my mind."

"Anything else you hodlin' out on me? Amelia Erhardt found? Hoffa discovered in Cancun?"

After a while I just shook my head and watched the coverage until the wee hours. It was a bitter sweet moment for me. Bitter because my son and his mother were living and working in Manhattan that day and saw the whole thing unfold in real time. Bitter because a co-worker lost his brother in Building One that day. Bitter, because of all the people who've died that day and since due to OBL's twisted brand of Islamic Jihad. But I also feel proud and happy. Proud of the intelligence community and military who planned the operation. Proud of our President who proved that he's NOT a man you want to play poker with. And overjoyed at the spontaneous outpouring of joy expressed through out the country last night. Particularly at the Mets/Phillies game where the players stopped playing to cheer right along with the rest of us. Oh to live in such mighty times.

Worf

Romanticist Philosopher

Lightbulb I have one regret last night

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I found out about 11:15 PM Sunday night EST that OBL was DOA. I found out from the K.N.N. "Knuclehead News Network". My son... affectionately known as "Da Knucklehead" had just came in from a graduation/birthday celebration for a classmate. He was doing his typical wandering around getting ready for school dance when he throws out the following on his way up to bed.

"Hey Pops they got Osama Bin Ladin tonight, he's dead."

"Yeah right kid, pull the other one while you're at it."

"No seriously, I heard about an hour ago."

I thought on this for a second, turned to CNN saw the headlines... then I got mad.

"You knew this an hour ago?"

"Yeah...,"

"And you were gonna tell me when?"

"It kinda slipped my mind."

"Anything else you hodlin' out on me? Amelia Erhardt found? Hoffa discovered in Cancun?"

After a while I just shook my head and watched the coverage until the wee hours. It was a bitter sweet moment for me. Bitter because my son and his mother were living and working in Manhattan that day and saw the whole thing unfold in real time. Bitter because a co-worker lost his brother in Building One that day. Bitter, because of all the people who've died that day and since due to OBL's twisted brand of Islamic Jihad. But I also feel proud and happy. Proud of the intelligence community and military who planned the operation. Proud of our President who proved that he's NOT a man you want to play poker with. And overjoyed at the spontaneous outpouring of joy expressed through out the country last night. Particularly at the Mets/Phillies game where the players stopped playing to cheer right along with the rest of us. Oh to live in such mighty times.

Worf
    BTW, A great description of how you came to hear the news. It definitely is one of those where were you moments.

The one Met game I don't watch has a moment that I would have loved to see and the game seemed like a great one that in a bit of poetic justice the New York team won in extra innings.

I too was loving staying up watching all those college kids excited and gathering near the White House. Oh what a night!!!!!!

I think I have a new nickname for Barack Obama. Don't piss off the Obaminator. He will have you erased from existence. He will find you anywhere at any time. You can run but you can't hide.

It sure is joyous news but it is bittersweet and kinda sad that it came to this. The fact that all those people died on 9/11/01 and around the world in other attacks and military operations. Not to sound like the narrator of a cheesy fantasy movie but the face of evil may have been defeated for now but time will only tell if a new face will manifest itself.

Inject Sarcasm

So when is the Michael Bay movie coming out starring Ben Affleck?

Suspended
    I have to admit I wondered if we'd ever get him. It shows we never give up. This has to be a significant boost in morale to our troops, their families, and all touched by 9-11.

Not to rain on the parade but an internet web post is already out saying Gehod is not over. In a society where suicide is a weapon can we really instill any fear.

Worf, your son actually did you a favor. I was scanning the channels and landed on CNN to see if I could catch any news, this was when they heard the president was going to make a speech but no one knew about what. The commentaries made while they were waiting I thought were nothing short of stupid. Then the speech kept getting pushed back and the announcers kept sounding stupid. Look if there's nothing to say go to regular programming until the time don't sit and ramble, and if you do, please sound intelligent.

Bye bye Bin. I hope your replacement thinks twice about following in your foot steps.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

You're so righ

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I have to admit I wondered if we'd ever get him. It shows we never give up. This has to be a significant boost in morale to our troops, their families, and all touched by 9-11.

Not to rain on the parade but an internet web post is already out saying Gehod is not over. In a society where suicide is a weapon can we really instill any fear.

Worf, your son actually did you a favor. I was scanning the channels and landed on CNN to see if I could catch any news, this was when they heard the president was going to make a speech but no one knew about what. The commentaries made while they were waiting I thought were nothing short of stupid. Then the speech kept getting pushed back and the announcers kept sounding stupid. Look if there's nothing to say go to regular programming until the time don't sit and ramble, and if you do, please sound intelligent.
    +1 my friend. There's nothing more mind numbingly stupid than pundits with no knowledge of the facts or reporters with nothing to report!!!! Is there anything wrong with saying "I don't know"? Sheesh. But such is the life of the 24-hours news cycle.

Worf

Great to hear that they finally snuffed Bin Laden.

Makes Pakistan look bad, but what else is new.

Romanticist Philosopher

I always thought he was in Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Great to hear that they finally snuffed Bin Laden.

Makes Pakistan look bad, but what else is new.
    And from the facts that seem to arising it seems like he was probably there all along and I think Obama and the parties inlvolved in the miltary got sick of warning the Pakistani government everytime they acted so they went ahead and took him out BEFORE telling them. Its funny when you tell the Pakistani government you are going to strike and when you do strike somehow the targets suddenly left. Anyhow good riddance.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    +1 my friend. There's nothing more mind numbingly stupid than pundits with no knowledge of the facts or reporters with nothing to report!!!! Is there anything wrong with saying "I don't know"? Sheesh. But such is the life of the 24-hours news cycle.Worf
    The best example that I saw of this last night was one of the networks reporting on what another network was reporting. I kid you not...it went something like this:

"We're hearing that another network is reporting that Bin Laden was found at a mansion just outside of Islamabad, but the reports that we have are not showing that detail".

Then I turned on CNN and, sure enough, they were reporting the Islamabad story.

Good riddance to the most evil man on earth.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I feel a pride for the American Special Forces units that accomplished this task and a hope that the families that experienced loss can find some closure. That said, I'm a bit less celebratory than many.

Tha "Face of Evil" has been vanquished but let us remember that nature abhors a vacuum. As long as there are conditions of economic disparity and hopelessness and religions to practice exclusion and blame these wars will continue.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

^ Party pooper!

Of course you're right. This isn't over by a long shot. But let people bask in a little sunshine for a bit, will ya?

Until we shut down all the training camps around the world, there will be no time for basking.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I have never pooped in, on, or at a party.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I lost my favorite Uncle and cousin in the twin towers, but I am not celebrating Osama's death. I never celebrate someones death, even someone as evil as this man. I have to agree with sticks - this is no time for celebration. We should be more alert than ever, because there is going to be a retaliation...no doubt about it.

As a part time New Yorker, I hope this brings some closure for some who do not already have it. For me, killing Bin Laden did give me closure, I got it a long time ago.

I do want to thank those servicemen who conducted the raid. Pakistan is not a friend, and we should immediately stop supporting them. They lied, stalled, and tried to deflect us from getting this man, and I know they knew he was there. I am beginning to wonder just how much effort Bush really put into finding Bin Laden after this.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I lost my favorite Uncle and cousin in the twin towers, but I am not celebrating Osama's death. I never celebrate someones death, even someone as evil as this man. I have to agree with sticks - this is no time for celebration. We should be more alert than ever, because there is going to be a retaliation...no doubt about it.

As a part time New Yorker, I hope this brings some closure for some who do not already have it. For me, killing Bin Laden did give me closure, I got it a long time ago.

I do want to thank those servicemen who conducted the raid. Pakistan is not a friend, and we should immediately stop supporting them. They lied, stalled, and tried to deflect us from getting this man, and I know they knew he was there. I am beginning to wonder just how much effort Bush really put into finding Bin Laden after this.
    I agree with you and sticks on this, but I must admit that I'm not at that level of maturity yet so I'm happy that Bin Laden met his end...

I remember being a university student 10 years ago when I saw the news of the attacks on CNN... I skipped classes and spent the day glued to the TV, convinced that World War 3 had just started... I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that some fool could/would attack the US....

It's just insane that between the attack and now I've lived in 3 countries and now teach at that same University... It's just crazy to think how long that bastard managed to escape justice...

Sir T, you raise some serious questions that will be asked again and again and hopefully one day answered: Did the Bush admin give up on the hunt for Bin Laden too easily? & Was Pakistan helping to hide him?

When 9/11 just happened, I couldn’t get over the films of kids dancing in the streets. It’s etched in my memory as badly as the sight of seeing the towers drop into a pile of dust, steel and bodies. I can’t bring myself to celebrate in any way. It would make me a hypocrite.
    I feel a relief that he has been removed from the world but sadness that it is far from over. There will always be people who want to destroy others regardless of the reasons of the day.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I kinda feel like this should make me feel better. It doesn't really. Makes me sick to read comments from other countries attributing martyrdom to him. Just a sobering reminder that there's some evil people in the world.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I agree with you and sticks on this, but I must admit that I'm not at that level of maturity yet so I'm happy that Bin Laden met his end...

I remember being a university student 10 years ago when I saw the news of the attacks on CNN... I skipped classes and spent the day glued to the TV, convinced that World War 3 had just started... I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that some fool could/would attack the US....

It's just insane that between the attack and now I've lived in 3 countries and now teach at that same University... It's just crazy to think how long that bastard managed to escape justice...

Sir T, you raise some serious questions that will be asked again and again and hopefully one day answered: Did the Bush admin give up on the hunt for Bin Laden too easily? & Was Pakistan helping to hide him?
    A,
    I also remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. I remember my aunt calling me to tell me she cannot contact my Uncle or cousin. Both worked for Canter Fitzgerald in the north tower, a brokerage firm whose offices took a direct hit from one of the planes. I tried to get on a flight immediately after that phone call, but was unable to. So I ended up driving across the country to be with my aunt. When I got there, she had stopped speaking, and remained so traumatized she was mute for months.

Pakistan has some questions that need answering. How is it that Osama was in a compound just miles away from a military base, and the ISI did not know about it? Has elements within the ISI been protecting Bin Laden? Has the Pakistani government been protecting Bin Laden, which is why they were protesting our bombing Al Qaeda terrorist in Pakistan's tribal area.

I do think it is time to end the war in Afghanistan and Iraq, but I do not think we should leave the middle east. Iran, and the Muslim Brotherhood have said we should leave, but I believe they are up to something, or our presence would not be such a threat to them.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    So I ended up driving across the country to be with my aunt. When I got there, she had stopped speaking, and remained so traumatized she was mute for months.
    That's horrible Sir T. Your poor aunt. How is she now?

I spoke to a guy from another music site on-line last September. He was one of the people you saw running away as the first tower came down. His story is terrifying. After his experience he became an alcoholic; had a meltdown during a board meeting two years later, of which he would not discuss the details; has since been diagnosed with PTSD and bi-polar disorder, and is permanently psychologically disabled. Although is alive, he says that he also died that day as the man he woke up as on Sept. 11 no longer exists. His story broke my heart.

We think so often of the victims who died, but the one's who survived are still suffering.

I hadn't seen the news since Obama's speech last night, so I wasn't aware of the celebrating that was going on in Washington and New York until I got home from work. I'm glad that Osama is dead, but the celebrating does disturb me and reminds me of how some in the middle east celebrated the towers falling. Death should not be celebrated in this way. Now I understand Bobsticks comments.

Romanticist Philosopher

Lightbulb It doesn't make you a hypocrite

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    When 9/11 just happened, I couldn’t get over the films of kids dancing in the streets. It’s etched in my memory as badly as the sight of seeing the towers drop into a pile of dust, steel and bodies. I can’t bring myself to celebrate in any way. It would make me a hypocrite.
    I feel a relief that he has been removed from the world but sadness that it is far from over. There will always be people who want to destroy others regardless of the reasons of the day.
    You relish the fact that a man of such evil has been erased. You relish that so much hard work went into finding him and eventually killing him. There is a huge difference between celebrating the death of a mass murderer and people celebrating the murder of innocents.(Brainwashed children don't know any better) It is of polar opposite points of view. We are not celebrating the death of a victim. He is and always was a criminal and certain perps are so far beyond saving or forgiving that they must be extinguished. I'm proud to be an American more now than perhaps in recent times. We set out to do something and we did it.

It is a different kind of celebration than say Happy New Year. Of course there is a sadness as well as we mourn the murdered. Many of the tears are not from exultation like winning the Super Bowl. There is joy in the accomplishment and sadness in needing the accomplishment. I say enjoy this moment as best you can especially if you are personally affected. You earned it and there is nothing wrong thinking I'm glad that SOB is dead.

Suspended
    Robert you make an excellent point. Let's not also forget OBL had his hand in terrorist acts before 9-11 as well. I am glad he is dead and feel he deserved it. He was a legitimate threat.

Well Said

Quote Originally Posted by Robert-The-Rambler
    You relish the fact that a man of such evil has been erased. You relish that so much hard work went into finding him and eventually killing him. There is a huge difference between celebrating the death of a mass murderer and people celebrating the murder of innocents.(Brainwashed children don't know any better) It is of polar opposite points of view. We are not celebrating the death of a victim. He is and always was a criminal and certain perps are so far beyond saving or forgiving that they must be extinguished. I'm proud to be an American more now than perhaps in recent times. We set out to do something and we did it.

It is a different kind of celebration than say Happy New Year. Of course there is a sadness as well as we mourn the murdered. Many of the tears are not from exultation like winning the Super Bowl. There is joy in the accomplishment and sadness in needing the accomplishment. I say enjoy this moment as best you can especially if you are personally affected. You earned it and there is nothing wrong thinking I'm glad that SOB is dead.
    Very succinctly put. Well done.

Worf

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert-The-Rambler

Very well said

I agree with the others Robert, very well said.

You stated earlier that you had one regret that night and so do I...that I didn't pull the trigger. My statement earlier shouldn't be taken as intending to chastize anyone on any moral grounds. That a primary sponsor of terrorism has been vanquished is a good and just thing and that is cause for celebration.

For my own part I think caution is in order when we use phrases like "The Face of Evil" because it leads to the "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" conundrum. It would be unwise to assume that Osama's demise necessarily means that the world has become a safer place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information