• 09-11-2008, 08:30 PM
    markw
    Texas! BAH! Now I'm really, REALLY pissed!
    OK, we fly down last Wednesday into Houston to spend a week or so in a primitive condo no internet and barely any cell phone service) on Padre Island with the grand-daughters and we hear something about a Tropical storm named Ike that might, just might hit Corpus. No biggie. We're headed north on Tuesday.

So, we drive back to Houston Tuesday to spend a day or so with friends. Now we hear that Hurricane (notice it's been upgraded?) may be going through Galveston and Houstron may get some wind and rain. No biggie. We're headed to College Station on Wednesday to spend the rest of our vacation (sunday) there at our son's house. Our other son and grand-daughter are supposed to come down from Gainesville on Friday.

So, here it is Thurdsay night and guess where the eye of the hurricane is supposed to be Saturday afternoon? Yep, smack-dab over Bryan/College Station! We called our son and told them to stay in Gainsville rather than risk trouble. Besides, there's rumors that Rt. 6 will be all northbound and we wouldn't be able to get back to Houston anyway..

We may be spending a few extra days here. Too bad nothing will be open, save for a few roofs.

I blame this all on you, Rich. If you really didn't want us here, you could have just said so!!!
  • 09-12-2008, 04:25 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    OK, we fly down last Wednesday into Houston to spend a week or so in a primitive condo no internet and barely any cell phone service) on Padre Island with the grand-daughters and we hear something about a Tropical storm named Ike that might, just might hit Corpus. No biggie. We're headed north on Tuesday.

So, we drive back to Houston Tuesday to spend a day or so with friends. Now we hear that Hurricane (notice it's been upgraded?) may be going through Galveston and Houstron may get some wind and rain. No biggie. We're headed to College Station on Wednesday to spend the rest of our vacation (sunday) there at our son's house. Our other son and grand-daughter are supposed to come down from Gainesville on Friday.

So, here it is Thurdsay night and guess where the eye of the hurricane is supposed to be Saturday afternoon? Yep, smack-dab over Bryan/College Station! We called our son and told them to stay in Gainsville rather than risk trouble. Besides, there's rumors that Rt. 6 will be all northbound and we wouldn't be able to get back to Houston anyway..

We may be spending a few extra days here. Too bad nothing will be open, save for a few roofs.

I blame this all on you, Rich. If you really didn't want us here, you could have just said so!!!

I have connections.

:ihih:
  • 09-12-2008, 04:32 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Wow Mark. I hope that you and your family stay safe and that one of those open roofs isn't the one over your head!

And to think that I was going to post here this morning to complain about the 13 cent per litre overnight gas increase. I was going to fill up on the way home yesterday at $1.22 but was feeling tired and lazy. This morning the prices are $1.35!

But at least my roof is secure and suddenly a little gas hike doesn't seem so bad. Thanks for the perspective.
  • 09-12-2008, 05:04 AM
    GMichael
    Keep your head down, and one eye on Rich.
  • 09-12-2008, 06:22 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Keep your head down, and one eye on Rich.

Don't you mean Ike? :smilewinkgrin:

I PM'd both Mark and JSE last night, but got no response.
  • 09-12-2008, 07:58 AM
    markw
    We're here in college Station and doing fine.
    Friday, 11:00 am and no signs of funky weather yet. It seems that tomorrow is the time to worry. The daughter-in-law and his family will be joining later us to ride out the storm. It seems that manufactured housing might not be the best bet in this part of the country.

We're going to C&J's BBQ later to lay in a stash of briskit and ribs, just in case.

We got hold of our airline this morning and they rescheduled us for Monday afternoon out of Houston.

If all goes well, we should be back in scenic Noo Joisey by Monday night.

Got your email, Rich and I/we apprecite it. Computer time is limited and cumbersome with a three and a six year old jumping on and climbing all over you. ...but I love it :)

I'll try to let y'all know what goes down, God willing and the crick don't rise, and the power and net are functional.
  • 09-12-2008, 08:16 AM
    dean_martin
    Be safe and be careful.

Your situation reminds of a trip my family took to Mexico in the early 80s. We were driving back from Mexico to Galveston listening to spanish-speaking stations and had no idea a hurricane had the same destination. Fortunately, we got tired of listening to stuff we couldn't understand and found the news just in time to go up to Houston.
  • 09-12-2008, 08:52 AM
    GMichael
    We took a trip to Florida a few years ago. It's the year that two hurricanes hit central Florida within a week of each other. (Charlie was one I think) We got to be there for both. We were evacuated and ended up at Central Florida High School, sleeping on the gym floor with a couple thousand others. There were about 20 TV's on with different news broadcasts. (At least until the power went out) We made a lot of new friends that night. My wife wouldn't stop laughing. She said that she'd been through hundreds of typhoons back home and this was the first time she was treated like a refugee. Apparently we go overboard with the safety thing compared to them. Maybe, but I'm glad to be here to laugh about it.

Mark, hope it all works out. Be sure to do whatever they recomend, even if you end up trying to sleep on a hardwood floor with a few thousand stragers. You'll never forget it.
  • 09-12-2008, 10:00 AM
    Feanor
    Good luck to Texans all
    ... Even Rich.

Where I pious I might see this as devine punishment on Texas for having so many Republicans.

But I'm an atheist so I blame gobal warming.
  • 09-12-2008, 12:53 PM
    topspeed
    Nice timing there, Mark. Nothing like a little driving rain and gale force winds to spice up a visit to the grandkids, eh?

Seriously tho, you guys take care. This ain't no thunderstorm, Ike is serious.

Speedy
  • 09-12-2008, 01:16 PM
    JSE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    Friday, 11:00 am and no signs of funky weather yet. It seems that tomorrow is the time to worry. The daughter-in-law and his family will be joining later us to ride out the storm. It seems that manufactured housing might not be the best bet in this part of the country.

We're going to C&J's BBQ later to lay in a stash of briskit and ribs, just in case.

We got hold of our airline this morning and they rescheduled us for Monday afternoon out of Houston.

If all goes well, we should be back in scenic Noo Joisey by Monday night.

Got your email, Rich and I/we apprecite it. Computer time is limited and cumbersome with a three and a six year old jumping on and climbing all over you. ...but I love it :)

I'll try to let y'all know what goes down, God willing and the crick don't rise, and the power and net are functional.

Mmmmmm! Bar-B-Q................................................. .................:p

Take care and you always come to my place if needed.....oh, what a minute :idea:
    .........Can I come to your place?
  • 09-12-2008, 02:05 PM
    Don't envy y'all. I guess I prefer earthquakes over hurricanes. At least they don't seem to be influenced by global warming, so comparatively, we will probably have less of them as things heat up. The thing about hurricanes is that you know when they are coming because you hear it on the news. With earthquakes it's always a surprise, sometimes not a happy one, but I guess because there's no warning, we just kind of don't worry about them so much.

JSE, Tex, et. al., what about the A/V gear? I tie my racks to the wall, so I suppose you could that too.