Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

This crow tastes like crap

Ok, Woochier,

I am sitting here eating a little bit of crow pie. My beloved XBOX 360 suffered the dreaded "freeze". I put it off for as long as I could but finally relented when it wouldn't work at all.

However, all is well that ends well. I called MS last Thursday.
    The call went like this:

MS: Hello, how may I help you.
    Me: My 360 keeps freezing up.
    MS: (After the usual, turn it off, try again). Literally about 1 min into call she says, OK, we are going to get it fixed for you ASAP. We will send you a box to return yours in tomorrow. And as soon as we get it, and repair it, we send it back. No charge to you.
    Me: Oh, ok.

Next day, DHL drops off return box. I filled it w/ 360 and hard drive, call DHL and request pickup that day.

Today I get an email from MS stating the repairs are finished and I will get it in 2-5 days.

At 10:30 AM UPS rings my doorbell and hands me a box from MS repair center.

I open it up, and it is a Brand New 360, minted on 1-18-06 according to the tag on the rear.

They even put my old Hard Drive on it, so my data wasn't lost!!

Runs like a champ, and I can't belive how fast the turn around was.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Woudn't it have been great

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Ok, Woochier,

I am sitting here eating a little bit of crow pie. My beloved XBOX 360 suffered the dreaded "freeze". I put it off for as long as I could but finally relented when it wouldn't work at all.

However, all is well that ends well. I called MS last Thursday.
    The call went like this:

MS: Hello, how may I help you.
    Me: My 360 keeps freezing up.
    MS: (After the usual, turn it off, try again). Literally about 1 min into call she says, OK, we are going to get it fixed for you ASAP. We will send you a box to return yours in tomorrow. And as soon as we get it, and repair it, we send it back. No charge to you.
    Me: Oh, ok.

Next day, DHL drops off return box. I filled it w/ 360 and hard drive, call DHL and request pickup that day.

Today I get an email from MS stating the repairs are finished and I will get it in 2-5 days.

At 10:30 AM UPS rings my doorbell and hands me a box from MS repair center.

I open it up, and it is a Brand New 360, minted on 1-18-06 according to the tag on the rear.

They even put my old Hard Drive on it, so my data wasn't lost!!

Runs like a champ, and I can't belive how fast the turn around was.
    If they didn't make a bunch of toasters to start with?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Probably didn't allow...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    If they didn't make a bunch of toasters to start with?
    ...for a sufficient burn-in period...

jimHJJ(...in the traditional sense...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

And this is what drives me nuts about such matters. People such as I scream that Microsoft makes crap, sure they fix it, but it's still crap and there's no excuse, and then some fine gentleman such as yourself gets caught in this and becomes dazzles by the excellent customer service and turn around time that you completely forget that it was a failed product and there's no excuse for it. It's a classic bait and switch. Forget the failure and stand before this giant amazed at their return service. For someone like me, I focus on the failure. There's just no excuse. Get it right or leave us alone.

Addition: I simply don't know why people tolerate such business practices.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Its not that the product was flawed on the whole. There were units that were defective, and MS is working to fix the problem.

With every product there are lemons. Thats why there are service stations everywhere for cars, and repair centers for appliances.

I was just pointing out that a 6 day turn-around is excellent. BTW the 360 is AWESOME. Just was playing Fight Night 3 today, and it is like watching a boxing match on TV. The resolution at 1080i on my plasma is unbelivable.

Groundbeef,

It takes guts to admit your mistake, and you did it in pretty funny way.

However, as much as you're a MS fanboy, the bottom line is that so many of us have been burned by them that there's really nothing you can do or say that will change our opinion of the Evil Empire. They rushed a product to market before getting all the bugs out. Gee, that never happens with Microsoft .

I've played with my neighbor's 360 and admit the graphics are stunning. I'm still waiting for the PS3 tho.

Let's be fair here

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    there's really nothing you can do or say that will change our opinion of the Evil Empire. I'm still waiting for the PS3 tho.
    If Microsoft is the Evil Empire, then SONY is the Fourth Reich.

I don't trust either of them. Especially after SONY put spyware into their CD's. I expect they will try something similar with the PS3.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Sorry to hear that your X360 went kaput. But, it is good to hear that you were able to get your X360 back in such a short turnaround ... and that the fault occurred within the warranty period. Now, if only MS can provide this kind of service with their software!

As topspeed mentioned, a lot of us have gotten burned by MS' persistent rush to get things to market in the past (my history with them goes all the way back to Word 3.0 for the Macintosh, which was more unstable and bug-ridden than most beta software I've used), so there's a lot of skepticism to overcome. QC is not their strongsuit, nor their priority. It's all about market share, and IMO the primary reason they're bending over backwards for X360 owners is because they don't hold a monopoly in the video game market. Somehow I get the impression that if MS attains a market share with console gaming similar to the ~90% levels that they command with desktop operating systems and business productivity software, they won't be nearly as accommodating.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Sorry to hear about the Xbox 360 woes...

The irony in the gaming console market is that the highest quality product is also the cheapest...Nintendo. But man, nobody would admit to owning one of those cube things because Nintendo is cute, made for kids, etc...

I've been burned by MS and Sony enough times that I hate both equally. I think the difference is when MS screws up, it usually costs people more time and money than when one of Sony's inventions bombs.

For some reason, I like my Xbox more than my PS2 though. I think it was Halo and the Star Wars games that did it for me...That and all the PS2 controllers I've owned seem to have usuable lifespans of 7 months. Grrrrrr.

I think I might end up buying both again, against my better judgement.

Got all three

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Sorry to hear about the Xbox 360 woes...

The irony in the gaming console market is that the highest quality product is also the cheapest...Nintendo. But man, nobody would admit to owning one of those cube things because Nintendo is cute, made for kids, etc...
    The unholy trinity of Xbox/PS2/GameCube.

The youngest one likes the GC a lot, but it's got the lowest rez graphics.

The best by far in both graphics, and sound is the Xbox. I have it configured to output 1080i via Component cables, and 5.1 audio via a toslink cable. I don't think many people have taken advantage of this capability in the original Xbox. My daughter also uses it as a mp3 jukebox, and it don't sound too bad.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    The unholy trinity of Xbox/PS2/GameCube.

The youngest one likes the GC a lot, but it's got the lowest rez graphics.

The best by far in both graphics, and sound is the Xbox. I have it configured to output 1080i via Component cables, and 5.1 audio via a toslink cable. I don't think many people have taken advantage of this capability in the original Xbox. My daughter also uses it as a mp3 jukebox, and it don't sound too bad.
    That's been my experience...w/component video cables and an optical cable, the games are just a better experience than my PS2.
    I'm guessing the new consoles will be pretty much even in that regard. I haven't actually had time to check out the 360 yet. I'm always a late buyer when it comes to game consoles. I find myself with less time to play as I get older.
    Hopefully when I have kids of my own I'll have more excuse to find the time.

I would think -Even- is a good bet

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    That's been my experience...w/component video cables and an optical cable, the games are just a better experience than my PS2.
    I'm guessing the new consoles will be pretty much even in that regard .
    In the graphics/sound dept. Although if the PS3 doesn't have a hard drive then it's going to be at a real disadvantage.

Already it's looking like the hardware is going to be a massive loss-leader for them, as it has been for MS.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Thread Information