• 08-12-2006, 01:53 PM
    kexodusc
    Story for the Ages & my worst day of the year...
    Well, broke 2 fingers and fractured my hand...

I wuz playin a softball tourney this weekend... made 2 finals - winning team got $16000 in funds for charity of our choice...(united way)

Reliving my glory days of college, I took to center field and was smokin' all week... our rivals - the CIBC World Markets team!!! (cancer society)...
    Top of the 9th, we're up by 2 - their ringer smoked a sure bet 3 run shot to the fence - but in an athletic feat of epic proportions, I jumped off the fence wall and caught the ball - sort of! .

Bare handed grab shattered the pinky/ring finger in a few places....I think...ya see, I dropped the freakin' thing.
    Team player that I am, I picked it up (later I realized with 3 fingers ) and managed to further fracture the tiny bones in my fingers....

Surgery is tentatively for Monday AM, plastic/ceramic plates and adhesive as I understand it....

I'm high as a kite on pain killers now, can't type witm my right hand, and not looking forward to going under the knife...

Oh, the throw beat the final runner to the plate and he wuz tagged out!!! How's that for a Hollywood baseball script??? Eat your heart out Billy Bob Thorton!!!

Didn't get MVP though, the .238 average killed me...
  • 08-12-2006, 02:20 PM
    JohnMichael
    Kex very sorry about your hand and needing surgery. Glad you got the man out and glad you have pain pills.
  • 08-12-2006, 02:30 PM
    bobsticks
    OOOOuuuchh!!!

Damn, Kexo, I feel for you. I swear to god, sports stunted my musical growth by ten years. I'm the only guy I know that could break a finger in the penalty box or on a bus...

...that's right yer one of them musician type people too. No guitar or cello for a while, unless you can come up with some revolutionary techniques.

Well, the only thing you can do at this point is look at the meager bright side--Happy Pills for quite some time!! Just remember, friends don't let friends booze it up, take a bunch of vicadin and drive...

I hope you feel better, but I fear it's going to take awhile.
  • 08-12-2006, 04:02 PM
    kexodusc
    Yeah, thanx for the love guys...I have 6 speakers partially built that will be on the backburner for awhile now, that sucks.

I'm probably going to be less active here since my words per minute have gone down 90%.

Did win the ball game and got a cool tale that will go down in annual softball torney lore... can't wait to see the video.

Music is definitely out, my working fingers are even too sore to strum.
    Ugghhh still have to tell my wife - she's in Melbourne till Christmas and there's a 13 hour time diff...I'm going to get yelled at for sure.
  • 08-12-2006, 06:31 PM
    cam
    That sucks Kex. I have never broken a bone in my body (knock on wood) but I did dislocate my pinky finger when I was 13. That son of a *****en finger was useless for about 4 weeks. I couldn't imagine breaking a couple.

As far a pain killers go, percocets work really good. I herniated my disc between the L4 and L5 earlier this year and percocets saved my life. They are a narcotic. If your Dr. prescribes them for you, you have 5 days to fill the prescription and you also have to sign for them. Take 2 every 6 hours and just about all your pain will go away. They are addictive, so they say, so use caution.

I'm sure you are pissed about breaking some fingers, but just imagine how pissed you would have been if you didn't throw out that runner.
  • 08-12-2006, 07:09 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Oh, Kex. That sucks. But at least you have a great story to tell! Think about how much worse it would be if you had broken those fingers doing something totally lame.

A few years ago I badly sprained my hand and fractured a bone in my finger when I was running up the stairs and got my pinky finger caught in one of the stair rails. I wore a splint for a few weeks and it was really embarassing when people asked me how I got hurt. I eventually just started making stuff up.

Good luck on the surgery, and even thought it's tough to type, I hope that you'll still manage a few words here and there to let us know how you're healing.
  • 08-13-2006, 12:22 AM
    Bernd
    Oh man Kex, that sucks.:sad: I hope it all goes alright tomorrow. A great story to tell though. Wishing you all the best and good luck for a speedy recovery.
    And remember "The Power of Music gives you Wings".:6:

Good luck pal

Bernd:16:
  • 08-13-2006, 05:20 AM
    GMichael
    Nice play Kex. Good focus.
    "Yeah! I got that sumb.tch" "Hey, why are my fingers hanging down like that?"
    Get better fast.
    Wifey will only yell because she cares so much.
  • 08-13-2006, 06:54 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Nice play Kex. Good focus.
    "Yeah! I got that sumb.tch" "Hey, why are my fingers hanging down like that?"
    Get better fast.
    Wifey will only yell because she cares so much.

My mutilated hand made me nauseous to look at...fingers looked like a "z", but twisted about 90 degrees, and pointed backwards...

feels like crap today...I'm not good with pain it hurts me...
  • 08-13-2006, 09:04 AM
    Feanor
    Yuck!! Get well soon.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    My mutilated hand made me nauseous to look at...fingers looked like a "z", but twisted about 90 degrees, and pointed backwards...

Like Cam, I'm lucky I've never broken anything -- yet.
  • 08-13-2006, 11:27 AM
    Woochifer
    Geez, talk about takin' one for the team! Ouch! Gotta salute you for your competitive spirit, and I would hope that United Way gives you some recognition. In the meantime, might be time to look into speech recognition software to keep up the pace on the board ...
  • 08-13-2006, 12:43 PM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Geez, talk about takin' one for the team! Ouch! Gotta salute you for your competitive spirit, and I would hope that United Way gives you some recognition. In the meantime, might be time to look into speech recognition software to keep up the pace on the board ...

curious...they have any that works out there?
    had Dragon Naturally Speaking a few years back...it stunk.
    i probably type 1400 words/day on average. sure would help.
  • 08-14-2006, 02:10 AM
    likeitloud
    Sorry to hear that kex, I broke my hand on my dirt bike, That is pain man. Hey I got
    some vicodin, let me know..Nice grab on the fence tho. That should be on Berman's
    top 10 plays of the week. The United Way thing is also very cool.
  • 08-14-2006, 07:47 AM
    noddin0ff
    Oh man! What a play by play! ...pictures?
  • 08-14-2006, 08:15 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Ouch!:eek:

I know what it feels like. I had the pleasure of breaking 8 bones at once about 5 years ago. Vicodins and sleeping pills became my best friends. :sleep:
  • 08-17-2006, 08:51 PM
    likeitloud
    Hey, Kex
    Hows the hand doing, are you playing guitar yet, banging a 4 speed. Just kidding,
    hope it's getting better, atleast painwise.
  • 08-18-2006, 03:56 AM
    kexodusc
    This is easily the most uncomfortable injury I've ever head - torn knee was easy.
    All in all, doing fine... there's some ligaments/tendons that will need more surgery later, but the Doc thinks I'll make a fiull recovery without losing any use of my fingers...

Coolest part - this didn't cost me 1 red cent! First time in my life I've used this wild Canadian health-care concept for something other than a check-up! 4 years ago, food poisoning ran me $1200 in Atlanta - I'd hate to know what it would have been without insurance :D

How is it we still don't have this back in the USA? Seriously - my taxes aren't any higher here than Maine or Georgia - what would 4 bone breaks, some cartilage, tendon, and ligament repair run back home?
    Oh 4 weeks of Tylenol 3 - $1.97 cdn!!! I almost wept...
  • 08-18-2006, 07:12 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

This is easily the most uncomfortable injury I've ever head - torn knee was easy.
    All in all, doing fine... there's some ligaments/tendons that will need more surgery later, but the Doc thinks I'll make a fiull recovery without losing any use of my fingers...

Coolest part - this didn't cost me 1 red cent! First time in my life I've used this wild Canadian health-care concept for something other than a check-up! 4 years ago, food poisoning ran me $1200 in Atlanta - I'd hate to know what it would have been without insurance :D

How is it we still don't have this back in the USA? Seriously - my taxes aren't any higher here than Maine or Georgia - what would 4 bone breaks, some cartilage, tendon, and ligament repair run back home?
    Oh 4 weeks of Tylenol 3 - $1.97 cdn!!! I almost wept...

Glad to hear that you're doing well and can expect a full recovery Kex.

Our health care system is far from perfect but, overall, it's there when we need it. My mother-in-law broke her shoulder a couple of weeks ago. Two trips to the emergency room (1st Dr. didn't x-ray, told her that she may have fractured a bone in her arm, and sent her home...quack!), emergency surgery to replace her shattered shoulder and repair torn tendons, five nights in hospital, and all the drugs that went with that, for no cost. The only thing that we had to pay for was the TV service in her room which was $9 a day. My M-I-L lives on a very fixed income, so the medical bills would have fallen onto my husband and I. I shudder to think of what that might have cost us.

I'm off the doctor now to get an allergy shot. I wonder what that would cost me if I lived in the US?