Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I own several guns, a Navy issue M9 Baretta 9mm hand gun, a WWII Russian made Moisin Nagant rifle, a 12g shot gun and a .22 hunting rifle. All are unloaded, with a trigger lock and in a Gun Safe. You should be required to have all guns locked and stored in a Gun Safe of good quality to own a gun of any type. You should be required to take a gun safety course as well. With that being said, I would have no problem if they were to outlaw handguns , semi autos and assault type rifles. In addition, they should put gun owners in prison if any of their children get caught with their guns.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    What percentage of sales is acceptable without checks?
    I agree with Feanor here. If it's true that you can buy a gun at a show without a license or security check, I think that's wrong. As for a private sale...the sale should require registration with the proper authorities for it to be legal. And there should be repercusions for both the seller and purchaser if licenses are not in place and confirmed before any guns change hands.

Just let me write your guns laws. I'd do a good job, I promise.

Suspended

Some gun restrictions that would helpful:

• Require a thorough background check for all gun buyers -- better yet, require licencing of all gun owners
    • As above for ammo purchases
    • Prohibit semi-auto rifles with detachable magzines or a capacity of over 5 rounds
    • Prohibit handguns of over 6 round capacity
    • Institute government programs to purchase guns at fair market value
    • Combined with the above, offer a temporary amnesty on illegal guns turned in
    • And/or confiscate existing prohibited guns and magazines, compensating owners at fair market value; (as was done in Australia).
    I agree with most of these points above but the one thing I am not hearing from anywhere is Education. You surely cannot go back in time but how about for every new gun purchase while waiting for background check, the individual is required to take a Gun Safety Class as well as learn how to properly use and care for the weapon they are purchasing?

If they reduce all capacity to only 6 rounds, how will Hollywood show all it's senseless killing where all the guns have endless rounds between magazine swaps?

I did hear this morning that someone finally wants to see if Violent Video Games cause violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I agree with most of these points above but the one thing I am not hearing from anywhere is Education. You surely cannot go back in time but how about for every new gun purchase while waiting for background check, the individual is required to take a Gun Safety Class as well as learn how to properly use and care for the weapon they are purchasing?

If they reduce all capacity to only 6 rounds, how will Hollywood show all it's senseless killing where all the guns have endless rounds between magazine swaps?

I did hear this morning that someone finally wants to see if Violent Video Games cause violence.
    Yes, good point about education. Here in the Great White North you need a permit to own acquire a gun and to get that you need some sort of training course; (the exact requirement varies by province).

Up here too there are elaborated requirements for gun storage -- a big consequence of this is that guns, (especially hand guns), are virtually useless for home defence. There is certainly nothing like "concealed carry permits".

Do violent computer games inspire real violence among players? Yes, they do -- not for all but for the minority who are prone to it on account of personality disorders.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I own several guns, a Navy issue M9 Baretta 9mm hand gun, a WWII Russian made Moisin Nagant rifle, a 12g shot gun and a .22 hunting rifle. All are unloaded, with a trigger lock and in a Gun Safe. You should be required to have all guns locked and stored in a Gun Safe of good quality to own a gun of any type. You should be required to take a gun safety course as well. With that being said, I would have no problem if they were to outlaw handguns , semi autos and assault type rifles. In addition, they should put gun owners in prison if any of their children get caught with their guns.
    It's good to hear a gun owner with a rational perspective. I too own guns but would give them up if it came to that; (I would like reasonable compensation like was offered in Australia).

There is a certain strange parallel with today's air travel security. We all hate the intense security checks we need to endure to fly anywhere -- and let's face it, in a truly civilized world, nobody would threaten the lives of innocent people. But we don't have a truly civilized world.

Same with guns. We ought to be able to own any guns and use them with regard for our own and others safety. But not everybody uses them with regard to everyone's safety. So we have to put up with disagreeable restrictions that impinge on our rights to a necessary extent.

What percentage of sales is acceptable without checks?
    When rational analysis of actual data shows any significant amount of criminal activity that should be addressed. "Feel good-do nothing" legislation serves no real purpose.

USA Today published an article recently showing that over a period of five years, there were 774 victims of mass murder committed by all means. Please read the last two sentences of the article.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    When rational analysis of actual data shows any significant amount of criminal activity that should be addressed. "Feel good-do nothing" legislation serves no real purpose.

USA Today published an article recently showing that over a period of five years, there were 774 victims of mass murder committed by all means. Please read the last two sentences of the article.
    My gosh, I think we now need a Bill and Legislation to block out the Sun too.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post

Three things I agree with:

1. Make guns illegal and only criminals will have guns
    2. Gun control is "feel good" legislation in as much as it allows politicians to seem to be doing something even if it isn't necessarily useful
    3. You have better chance of being kill by lightning than randomly by a mass killer

But this isn't to say that reasonable gun control wouldn't help.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    One Bullet -One Gun
    If it was good enough for Mayberry its good enough for America........

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    One Bullet -One Gun
    Aunt Bea's "Kerosene Cucumber" pickles were an effective deterrent...

Suspended
    LOL, there you go, legislation in a nutshell. And, don't forget the bullet stays in your pocket until needed.

Every one have a great holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    One Bullet -One Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    LOL, there you go, legislation in a nutshell. And, don't forget the bullet stays in your pocket until needed.
    Well, if Sheriff Andy said it's OK...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information