What did you all think of Howard Dean's concession speech in Iowa?

I'm sure you all have heard about it so I won't have to rehash it (to make a long story short, Dean let out an enthusiastic yell after listing the primary states that he wants to win).

Let me start out by stating that I can't stand Howard Dean, he comes across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk and I firmly disagree with his politics but in this instance I have to defend him. I hear people on the street and in the media say all the time that they wish that candidates didn't acted so coached and manufactured all the time (*cough, Algore, cough*) and for once, would be real. Here is a guy who is expressing his genuine enthusiasm in a non-offensive way and how do the people react? They slam him and now he is late-night show fodder. Come on, folks, is what he did really that bad?

I'll readily admit that this hurts his image and further supports his "angry" label, but part of this criticism comes down to this: people just plain don't "like" him. Dean just does not project himself as likeable guy, but in this instance, I can't fault him for his enthusiasm.

Forum Regular
    I did not take his response as an angry one, but rather as a passionate one. Either way, it made him lose some credibility. To be honest, it scrared me a little!
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

JSE
    I don't see what the big deal is, and this is coming from a conservative! Sure he looked a little silly, but not mad. He seemd to be fired up and in the moment. I don't agree with Dean politically, but I think he getting a bad rap as being the angry democrat. Actually, I find it a little refreshing to see someone with his in your face bluntness and enthusiasm. Now, if he was only conservative. I think we need more people with his personality in Washington. He does not take jack from anyone. That's the one thing I like about him. I don't think he will ever get to the White House for these same reasons. Conservative, Democrat, Independent or whatever, the parties will never allow such outspokeness to get far. That, I think, is a shame. I think we need people like that. To shake things up a bit.

JSE

Sorry it took me this long to reply

I've taken some interesting impressions from the post Iowa event. Some of Dean's former supporters are withdrawing their support because he "didn't look Presidential." First of all, these hypocrites are not withdrawing their support because of the yell; they are only sycophants who want to hitch onto a winning bandwagon (Kerry). Also, what does it mean to "look Presidential?" Is an enthusiastic yell less Presidential than a guy who cheats on this wife in the Oval Office and lies to his supporters, Cabinet, and wife in order to get them to put their reputations on the line to defend him? Or how about this same guy who used the Arkansas National Guard to sneak women into the governor's mansion for him. How 'bout them apples?

I don't know about you guys but I've played sports and it's a lot like politics because both can get emotional. When something good or bad happened to me in sports, I would let out a yell to express how I felt.

What's amazing to me is that in less than 30 days, Dean went from being the frontrunner to being the goat. Just shows the fickleness of human nature, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Widowmaker
    What's amazing to me is that in less than 30 days, Dean went from being the frontrunner to being the goat. Just shows the fickleness of human nature, I guess.
    Looks like Dean isn't alone. Check out this thread to see how the DUh'ers react when they find the "current" frontrunner says things that concur with the Bush administration and criticizes the Clinton administration's actions.

Trouble in paradise!
    Click here to see my system.

JSE
    " First of all, these hypocrites are not withdrawing their support because of the yell; they are only sycophants who want to hitch onto a winning bandwagon (Kerry):"

Widowmaker,

Good take.

I think the "yell" was just a good excuse to for many to jump ship. They knew Dean's popularity was dropping and they saw an exit.

JSE

Thread Information