Forum Regular

Hooh-ray for me today!!

I made a deal on a 2004 Audi 1.8 Turbo today. It's loaded and in immaculate condition. I got it for $7K and I think today and from now on .....I'll just have to be the man about town...lol

I am on my way now to pick it up.

Leroy

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Congrats! I think Audi is in a different league than their bretheren VW. With the turbo that thing should be able to get down the road for you. Post some pics when you get it!

BTW- For the regulars who have been subjected to my Thrift and CL finds over the years I actually went out and bought a brand new car last week. Nothing Fancy just a 2010 Hyundai Elantra SE. My other car just had the alternator go out and the transmission is also about to go so thought it was time to get something else that I can use when gas hits $4-$5 dollars this Summer. I am finding myself addicted to the XM radio.........

Wooo! What color? Can we expect to see some pics?
    I used love driving my friend's VW Jetta 1.8T Worfsburg Edition. But I love Audi's internior much better.

Very cool,

Forum Regular

Thanks fellas...

The color is black with chrome trim. Moon roof, black leather interior, and the sound system is pretty darn good. I was very surprised to find the SQ to be very respectable indeed. I've decided the "theme music" for my car will be Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon. I already have the disc in the car CDP and of course it's a match.

I should be getting a digital camera in the next couple of weeks or so... then I'll post some pics.

The Turbo works quite well I guess I put it through its paces today...lots of fun behind the wheel.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy
    I made a deal on a 2004 Audi 1.8 Turbo today. It's loaded and in immaculate condition. I got it for $7K and I think today and from now on .....I'll just have to be the man about town...lol

Leroy
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    I actually went out and bought a brand new car last week. Nothing Fancy just a 2010 Hyundai Elantra SE.
    Alright, who wants to race?

I picked up my brand new Ford Escape Limited Edition today.

It's the week of the car here on AR! Must be something in the water.

Congrats to you both on your purchases. New cars are so much fun!

Forum Regular
    Thank you and congrats to you too FA and Kid!!

FA, did you get a 2011 model? I have a friend who has an Escape...I think it's a 2006 model and I really like that vehicle. Will you have a theme song for you new car?

Kid, I was looking at the Sonata, Elantra, and Genesis Coupe as well......it was hard for me to walk away from the Sonata with all that warranty...are you gonna have a theme song for your new wheels?

Yes, mine is a 2011. This is my third Escape. I leased my first one in 2005, then 2008, and this time I decided that since I liked the car so much and the 2012s will be redesigned models, I decided to purchase a 2011. Plus they were offering 0% financing...

My theme song is always Sammy Hagar's I Can't Drive 55.

Chicago IL
    Seems that I am stuck with my old BMW. Soon I am looking at the Mercedes AMG Series!

I am glad they changed the law so no more tickets for the tinted windows!

Last edited by dakatabg; 01-22-2011 at 09:51 PM.

My vintage gear!!! http://i48.tinypic.com/t66o1v.png

Leroy
    Very cool, LeRoy; I expect you'll enjoy it a lot.

I'm not sure I could afford the upkeep on such a vehicle. I'm finding maintenance a drag with my '02 Ford Taurus but I'll probably stick with it for another year or two.

I'll be doing major downsizing with my next car: depending what models look like when the time comes, maybe Hyundai Elantra, Elantra Touring, VW Jetta, or perhaps a weid looking but apparently practical Kia Soul ...

Thank you and congrats to you too FA and Kid!!
    Kid, I was looking at the Sonata, Elantra, and Genesis Coupe as well......it was hard for me to walk away from the Sonata with all that warranty...are you gonna have a theme song for your new wheels?
    Never thought of a theme song for the car but it is an interesting idea.
    As you can see from the pic and if you know the engine in these things then "Little Red Corvette" is out as an option.

According to the spec sheet the satellite antenna is called a shark fin antenna so maybe "Fins" by Jimmy Buffet would work or we could go with a bit of a rhyme and go with the "Sinatra Elantra". I just get in it cruise down the road with my 6-speaker audio system playing "My Way".......

Wow! It must be new car time. Congrats to all the new owners.
    I just picked up a 2011 Subaru Legacy Limited (1.9% finance). There were several cars in the running including the Nisson Altima, Hyundai Elantra, and a used Audi A4.
    The Altima cost the most and had no traction control. I was afraid of buying a used turbo. Audi may have made one that lasts decades, but I was still shy. It came down to the Hyundai or the Subaru. Both were about the same price. The Hyundai has more power but I couldn't resist the all wheel drive. Blue is my color.
    Hope that everyone is enjoying their new rides as much as I am.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Wow! It must be new car time. Congrats to all the new owners.
    I just picked up a 2011 Subaru Legacy Limited (1.9% finance).
    I love Subarus. The Forester would have been my first choice, but Subaru financing here was 4.9% versus Ford's 0%. That made the Escape a no brainer for me.

Enjoy your Legacy.

A question to the new car owners...do you buy extended warranties? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I love Subarus. The Forester would have been my first choice, but Subaru financing here was 4.9% versus Ford's 0%. That made the Escape a no brainer for me.

Enjoy your Legacy.

A question to the new car owners...do you buy extended warranties? Just curious.
    I really did not need to with the Hyundai warranty. 10/100,00 on the Power Train and 5/50,000 on alot of the other systems.

I do not buy extended warranties on cars but have a good bit of experience with them when I used to handle mechanical claims for GM. You really need to know about the car you are buying, the manufacturer's warranty and who is underwriting the extended warranty. Extended warranties are usually sold by the dealers as a second source of income for either the F&I people or the sales people themselves as they usually are paid a commission on the sale. My experience is that the people who are selling them know nothing or next to nothing about what is covered and so you really need to do your homework.

Some of the private vendors out there have policy's which have some tricky exclusions. For example one comapany that was popular among dealerships in the 90's (because of its commision rate) said that the transmission cooler was covered but the radiator was not because it was considered a "wear and tear" item. Well I watched a Service rep tell a customer whose transmission cooler had failed that the extended warranty denied the claim because the transmission cooler was located in one of the side tanks of the radiator. The only way to replace the trans cooler was to replace the radiator but the radiator is not covered under the warranty. Pretty slick huh?

An option you might have is actually through your current auto insurance carrier. Some of them actually sell mechanical breakdown insurance as a rider onto your current auto policy. The cost is usually lower and the coverage is pretty straight forward. They don't normally have any kind of tricky language in there because if they get too cute they stand to lose the other policies in the house if you are not happy.

Long answer but I hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

Enjoy your Legacy.

Tanx!
    Normally I do not bother with the extended warranties. They are just a cash cow for the dealers. Most of the time they cost way more than the average repair costs over the same time frame. But this Legacy has a CV transmission. I love it, but it's unproven over the long haul. So I did spring for the extra warranty (5yr/100k mi) this time. And I hope that I wasted my money.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Dakatabg....Man, your state has some weird laws for window tint. I've never heard of laws prohibiting tint. The BMW looks to be in great condition so its a great car to be stuck with...

Feanor-- I really think the Soul is very, very cool. I got in one last year at an Auto Show and thought it was the coolest car I've seen in a really long time.

Kid-- you got it right...play the music your way

Gmichael-- Congrats on the Legacy purchase. I believe the Legacy is a very under the radar and underrated car and should serve you well.

Dakatabg....Man, your state has some weird laws for window tint. I've never heard of laws prohibiting tint.
    It's against the law here (Ontario) to tint windows that would obscure the driver. So basically you can't tint your front windshield or the windows on the front doors. You can do whatever you want to the rear windows.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I sat in a new-in-the-showroom Audi S4 a couple of weeks ago and I can't stop thinking about it. I suffer from new car lust every two years like clockwork but I have to resist. Curse you, inadequate check book!

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I sat in a new-in-the-showroom Audi S4 a couple of weeks ago and I can't stop thinking about it. I suffer from new car lust every two years like clockwork but I have to resist. Curse you, inadequate check book!
    Audi sure does make a sweet car. If I had the cashflow, that would be my car. For now (and by now, I mean this lifetime) it will have to just be my dream car.

Congrats to everyone...we have a 2000 Audi A6 wagon. Owned it for 7 years now w/155k miles. Great safe car, but expensive to repair. Find a good mechanic and your set.

Me? I cruise in an old 1992 Saab 9000. Great car! Hope it goes for another year or so.

No car payments rule!

Charm Thai™
    Nice choice LeRoy. Better see some pics soon!

Forum Regular
    Thank for all the congrats everyone. Now, as most of you probably know....I am a lackey when it comes to digital cameras....I really don't know why one is preferable to another...any advice would be appreciated..I have a Mac desktop computer so whatever I get needs to be compatible with my Mac.

Suggestions anyone?

Any digital camera that you buy will be compatible with iPhoto. I am, of course, assuming that your Mac included the iPhoto software.

Forum Regular
    FA, I ordered a Sony camera today and it should be arriving in about a week or so. It was the most idiot proof camera I could find so I think I picked the right one.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/HX1/HX1A.HTM

Thread Information