Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fried Chicken, silent killer

What an eye openning experience eating fried chicken.

Recently we went to out to eat at buffet style restaurant, and took two pieces of fried chicken breasts home. The next night to warm up the chicken I put two breasts in the oven for 15 minutes and when took it out, there must have been at least about 4 table spoon of grease ozzing from breast into the pan.

Now am looking at breast and all that oil, and thinking to myself any time I eat fried food, I swallow all that grease also without even thinking it. And not any kind of oil, but rather the oil that has been used to fry everything in the restaurant for last 4 to five days.

Now imagine eating fried chicken at room temperatue or at a picnic, and all that oil has been solidified inside the meat. If that doesn't cause one to develop clogged up arteries, I don't know what else will.

Now I think twice before eating fried food from now on.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Fried food, and oil in general, is a killer. I have terrible Gerd. I stopped eating all fried food and stopped cooking with oil (I'll sometimes use a bit of olive oil to saute stuff) in January. My Gerd is way better now and I've lost weight.

I do miss French Fries though.

Last week we went to an Italian restaurant for dinner. I asked the server if there was a lot of oil in their tomato sauce and she told me, no. I enjoyed half the pasta and took the other half home. I had such terrible heartburn that night that I had to sleep on the couch, sitting up. When I looked at my leftovers the next day, the oil had separated from the sauce and you could see how much oil they used. No wonder I was sick.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Fried food, and oil in general, is a killer. I have terrible Gerd. I stopped eating all fried food and stopped cooking with oil (I'll sometimes use a bit of olive oil to saute stuff) in January. My Gerd is way better now and I've lost weight.

I do miss French Fries though.

Sorry to hear about your GERD -- same problem here.

It's impossible for me to control entirely with diet. I have to take strong prescription meds daily to suppress it.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I think the other problem in the U.S. is the portion sizes. It really is kind of sick. I was in vegas and ordered breakfast. The omelette was made with 8 eggs. EIGHT!. I mean it was a good breakfast but that's absurd. 3 eggs is pretty big.

The oil and fat can be bad but the high salt content is worse. I eat out less and less these days. Avoid the fast food chains pretty much completely now. The odd time a Tim Hortons or A&W. The former for the hot chocolate and sandwiches and the latter for a burger - but once in a blue moon.

KFC I believe filed for bankruptcy in Canada. Just buy those Chickens they sell at the grocery store on the rotisserie. They're inexpensive - not fried and in Canada - even the bigger places like Save-On claims to be using free run local chickens (they're kind of normal sized so they're probably telling the truth. They do add salt though.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Sorry to hear about your GERD -- same problem here.

It's impossible for me to control entirely with diet. I have to take strong prescription meds daily to suppress it.
    That sucks Feanor, sorry to hear it. I've been taking Nexium and then Tecta for years. Even with the medication I couldn't sleep lying down. I've been sleeping upright, propped up on pillows, for at least the last year. But since changing my diet I can sleep lying down like a normal person.

I still need the medication though. I forgot to take it a couple of weeks ago and was in serious pain after breakfast. On occasion I'll eat something that I shouldn't (like that pasta) and still have to sleep upright. It's actually good because now I want to make healthier food choices so that I don't get sick. Hence the weight loss...just over 10 pounds so far without even really trying.

My Hubby has high blood pressure so we've been watching our sodium for years. It's amazing how much sodium is in prepared foods. Even something simple like canned tomatoes can be loaded with it. I found it shocking when I started to read labels.

Last week we went to an Italian restaurant for dinner. I asked the server if there was a lot of oil in their tomato sauce and she told me, no. I enjoyed half the pasta and took the other half home. I had such terrible heartburn that night that I had to sleep on the couch, sitting up. When I looked at my leftovers the next day, the oil had separated from the sauce and you could see how much oil they used. No wonder I was sick.
    That is exactly right. Untill one see all that oil in front of their eyes, it does not hit home. If you like french fries, a healtier version (for lack of better word ) can be made at home. Just have to make sure to take out potato strings from frying oil right before all moister cells inside potato are exhausted and oil cells take their place.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I think the other problem in the U.S. is the portion sizes. It really is kind of sick. I was in vegas and ordered breakfast. The omelette was made with 8 eggs. EIGHT!. I mean it was a good breakfast but that's absurd.
    I hate to ask you how large were their steak sizes

Popeyes Fried Chicken!!!!!

Public enemy number one.

I know it's bad for me. I know it's killing me. I know it's cloggin' my arteries, pasting my veins...I know everytime I lift that YardBird to my mouth I'm reinforcing stereotypes worldwide.... BUT

To quote the late great philosopher Sir Redmond of Foxx.

"I'm tired of people saying what they won't eat and all that chit."

"You claim you wanna be healthy. Don't eat no pork, no firied yard bird, don't smoke, don't drink, don't snort don't do nuthin'. Run everyday work out and all that stuff."

"In the end you gonna be the only person in the world dyin' from NOTHIN'!!!!!"

Bottom line?

We all gonna go. And I don't mind the few days of life that box of chicken might cost me.

Worf

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I gave up fried chicken when I had a friendly confrontation with EL Pollo Loco(the crazy chicken!). When I do fast food, that is where I go and nowhere else. 97% of the time I cook at home because I do not trust that the food I eat out is all that healthy. Too much salt, too much fat, too much cholesterol and preservatives.

When I was younger KFC used to be my place to go, and what I did was remove the skin before eating the chicken. I hated its taste with a passion, and I know that is where most of the oil is. I stuck to breast meat when I went to KFC, even though I knew it still had some oil in the meat. I used to have problems with GERD for a few months. My Doctor put me on Previcid, and I took it for a few months and quit. I don't need it now because I do not eat spicy foods, or late at night anymore.

I run everyday(except in the rain out comes the treadmill), lift weights three days out of the week, and walk everyday with my pack of dogs. Aside from almost dying in 2009, I have not had any health related issues even though I have lupus. I am not taking any medications, and hope I never have to.

You guys take care of yourselves, I would hate to not see you disappear one day like what happen to Woodman.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    The last time I went into a KFC, and it was 20 years ago, I took one inhale and turned around and walked out the door. I have not eaten any fast food for at least that long.

After watching Super Size Me, I no longer even have an urge for it.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I think the other problem in the U.S. is the portion sizes. It really is kind of sick. I was in vegas and ordered breakfast. The omelette was made with 8 eggs. EIGHT!. I mean it was a good breakfast but that's absurd. 3 eggs is pretty big.

The oil and fat can be bad but the high salt content is worse. I eat out less and less these days. Avoid the fast food chains pretty much completely now. The odd time a Tim Hortons or A&W. The former for the hot chocolate and sandwiches and the latter for a burger - but once in a blue moon...

I agree with this.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible

You guys take care of yourselves, I would hate to not see you disappear one day like what happen to Woodman.
    Thanks for the kind sentiment, Sir T.

Unfortunately I take handfuls of meds every day, not only for GERD but also for high blood pressure and coronary artery disease. I do exercise 6-7 days week, usually either elliptical or fast walking, plus Bowflex 2-3 times week. I'm finding it harder & harder to keep up the frequency and intensity of the Bowflex because of my arthritis however.

In my case the cause of worst GERD is sugar, alone or combined with fat or oil -- donuts are deadly for me, and I haven't had a non-diet carbonated drink in 20 years.

I'm sitting home today recovering from the shock the doctor gave my right kidney. Hopefully he got that stinking stone taken care of. With the list they gave of foods not to eat, plus the list of foods not to eat due to my diabetes, there isn't much left. I can have water.
    I think I'll still enjoy all the same foods I've ever had, but less of it. It doesn't hurt to read the labels either. Some foods have in excess of 4000 mg of sodium. I'll pass on those. A little more walking each day and some light reading at meal time should help.

As far as fried foods. Well, no shocker there (no pun). I have been avoiding those for years. Once in a while I'll have a bite of what wifey is eating though. Just the one bite won't kill me right?

FA,
    Sorry to read that you have so much trouble with your foods. I hope that you have it under control now. How much have you lost? (Can I ask that?)

Feanor,

Ditto to you. Hope you have it under control. Your diet is one of the hardest things to change.

RGA,
    Yeah. Portions are stupid big. On the few occasions that I do eat out, I start off by putting half to one side to not be eaten. Sometimes Wifey and I split one meal. We usually end up full anyhow.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

GM, sorry to hear about your kidney shock. I hope that you're feeling better soon and that the stones pass easily. What did the doctor do to break it (them) up?

I've lost a bit over 10 pounds so far. I'd be happy with another 20 gone but that's not my main goal in changing my eating habits...just a happy byproduct . When I changed the way that I ate I thought that it would be hard and that I'd get bored with food. But a friend recommended a really great cookbook for me and I'm enjoying food more now than I ever have AND I feel great! Even my husband (who is naturally thin and can eat anything he wants) has gotten into the groove and is eating things that I thought he would never eat in a million years...like tofu!

We've also cut out all processed white foods like sugar, white flour and white rice. We only use natural sweeteners like honey or fruit juice and only eat whole grains.

If your doctor wants you to change the way you eat to a healthier lifestyle I'd be happy to recommend the cookbook to you. It's been a serious life-changer for me, not just for the gerd but for my whole well-being.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now.

GM, I hope you are recovering from that kidney stone. The diet recommendation Dr. gave you, is that going be permanent or just temporary untill the stones are gone. I would hate to live on a rigid diet for rest of my lfe.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    To quote the late great philosopher Sir Redmond of Foxx.

"I'm tired of people saying what they won't eat and all that chit."

"You claim you wanna be healthy. Don't eat no pork, no firied yard bird, don't smoke, don't drink, don't snort don't do nuthin'. Run everyday work out and all that stuff."

"In the end you gonna be the only person in the world dyin' from NOTHIN'!!!!
    I guess there is some truth to that also. In my case if it isn't fried food, then it will be cigarettes, sodas or lack of excersize. Take your pick

Forum Regular
    Well, I had not had fried chicken in months....and is just so happened yesterday after work...I had a hankering for some F.C. so I got me a three piece chicken with fries and a sweet tea.

I then got on the forum yesterday as I am getting ready to eat my dinner and find this F.C post....lol....I was like....uh, okay, I will only eat 2 pieces and just half the fries and half the tea....man it was good too...but I'll have to go into fried chicken retreat again.

I'm hypertensive and take meds for it but I am addicted to sweet tea and only one-half a glass of that makes my BP soar. Coffee does not do that to me though.

So, the meal I had last night sure is a recipe for an early exit that's for sure...lol.

Hope everybody's health gets better and lay off the grease bombs if you can help it

Leroy

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy
    I am addicted to sweet tea
    That statement made me laugh! I am assuming that by sweet tea you mean sweetened ice tea. All they serve in Canada is sweet tea. I hate it! I look forward to going to the US where I can get a real iced tea that's not loaded with sugar!

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy
    Well, I had not had fried chicken in months....and is just so happened yesterday after work...I had a hankering for some F.C. so I got me a three piece chicken with fries and a sweet tea.

I then got on the forum yesterday as I am getting ready to eat my dinner and find this F.C post....lol....I was like....uh, okay, I will only eat 2 pieces and just half the fries and half the tea....man it was good too...but I'll have to go into fried chicken retreat again.

I'm hypertensive and take meds for it but I am addicted to sweet tea and only one-half a glass of that makes my BP soar. Coffee does not do that to me though.

So, the meal I had last night sure is a recipe for an early exit that's for sure...lol.

Hope everybody's health gets better and lay off the grease bombs if you can help it

Leroy
    Man you're killing me. That bird was a talkin' to yo son... sayin' "eat me,..... eat meeeee"

LOL A man's got to know his limitations.

Worf

Forum Regular

Hi Forever Autum

That statement made me laugh! I am assuming that by sweet tea you mean sweetened ice tea. All they serve in Canada is sweet tea. I hate it! I look forward to going to the US where I can get a real iced tea that's not loaded with sugar!
    Yes, I mean sweetened tea. During the summer months I used to drink 3 quarts of sweet tea every day but now I have about 1/2 glass every other day.

When are you going to vacation in the USA?

Forum Regular

Hi Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Man you're killing me. That bird was a talkin' to yo son... sayin' "eat me,..... eat meeeee"

LOL A man's got to know his limitations.

Worf
    Ya, your correct. It was talking to me....I even ate the dinner at the dinner table cause I did not want this F.C. thread staring back at me.

GM, sorry to hear about your kidney shock. I hope that you're feeling better soon and that the stones pass easily. What did the doctor do to break it (them) up?

I've lost a bit over 10 pounds so far. I'd be happy with another 20 gone but that's not my main goal in changing my eating habits...just a happy byproduct . When I changed the way that I ate I thought that it would be hard and that I'd get bored with food. But a friend recommended a really great cookbook for me and I'm enjoying food more now than I ever have AND I feel great! Even my husband (who is naturally thin and can eat anything he wants) has gotten into the groove and is eating things that I thought he would never eat in a million years...like tofu!

We've also cut out all processed white foods like sugar, white flour and white rice. We only use natural sweeteners like honey or fruit juice and only eat whole grains.

If your doctor wants you to change the way you eat to a healthier lifestyle I'd be happy to recommend the cookbook to you. It's been a serious life-changer for me, not just for the gerd but for my whole well-being.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now.
    Thanks FA, The doctor sent electricity through my kidneys to break up the stones. Hopefully it worked.

10 so far huh? That’s great. How long have you been at it? I lost 30 pounds when I first went to my diabetes diet in 2007. Then I put 10 back on. It looks like most of the foods I switched too for diabetes can cause some kind of stones. It depends on what they end up being made of as to which foods I should avoid. Two things that are common to any kind of kidney stones are to drink more water, and cut back on salt. I’ve already been watching salt for the diabetes, so I’m half way there. I also cut my coffee intake back to one cup/day and have been drinking lots of water, so I should be good to go. Peanuts are the things that look like I may have to cut out. I depend on them for my protein intake. Let’s see what doc says before I change anything though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Thanks FA, The doctor sent electricity through my kidneys to break up the stones. Hopefully it worked.

10 so far huh? That’s great. How long have you been at it? I lost 30 pounds when I first went to my diabetes diet in 2007. Then I put 10 back on. It looks like most of the foods I switched too for diabetes can cause some kind of stones. It depends on what they end up being made of as to which foods I should avoid. Two things that are common to any kind of kidney stones are to drink more water, and cut back on salt. I’ve already been watching salt for the diabetes, so I’m half way there. I also cut my coffee intake back to one cup/day and have been drinking lots of water, so I should be good to go. Peanuts are the things that look like I may have to cut out. I depend on them for my protein intake. Let’s see what doc says before I change anything though.
    I really hope the electric shock works for you GM. I've seen the pain that my brother is in when he has kidney stones and it looks like a horrible experience!

I've lost 12 pounds since January. My weight has jumped around a bit (lose one week, gain the next week) as I've been searching for the right balance of what I can and can't eat for the gerd. In March I began seeing a Registered Dietician to help me with the diet changes. The weights been coming off a bit more consistently since I started meeting with her and getting professional advice. I'm also hopeful that I might be able to come off the medication at some point. That's my real goal.

I'll share a little secret that works to get me to drink more water. Put some lemon juice in it...assuming you can have lemon juice. Not a lot, just enough to give the water a bit of flavour, I find that when I add lemon to water I drink twice as much. My tastebuds like the lemony flavour. That might not work for you, but I was surprised how well it worked for me.

More water?! NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo......!!!!

I piss about 3 gallons a day already. No more please....

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Keep up the great work. Soon you'll need all new clothes though.

More water?! NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo......!!!!

I piss about 3 gallons a day already. No more please....

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Keep up the great work. Soon you'll need all new clothes though.
    Needing new clothes is the downside to weight changes. I hate shopping for clothes. LOVE shoe shopping though. Too bad I can't wear just shoes.

Needing new clothes is the downside to weight changes. I hate shopping for clothes. LOVE shoe shopping though. Too bad I can't wear just shoes.
    No one here would complain.

No one here would complain.
    That's because you can't actually see me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information