SLR Film Camera: Minolta 707Si ????

I've received two Minolta 707Si film camera from work today.
    Guess they are only interested in digital format...

They are kinda like this:

Are they any good? Also, as far as care/maintenance goes, are there anything I should be aware of?
    I don't plan to go crazy with this "analog", but I would like to at least perform some basis care.

I would appreciate any help I can received.
    I've tried browsing PhotographyREVIEW.com. but no dice. Eh?

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo

Are they any good? Also, as far as care/maintenance goes, are there anything I should be aware of?
    I don't plan to go crazy with this "analog", but I would like to at least perform some basis care.

JRA
    Hey There,

As with anything mechanical, cameras need periodic maintenance (cleaning, etc), but its something that can wait. I'm assuming that its in good working order?? I would put a few rolls of film through it to see if you even enjoy the hobby before spending any money servicing it. Hopefully, you were able to acquire a few lenses with it. Happy Shooting!

As far as the camera performance, I'm a Nikon man myself, so I'll let someone else chime in.
    It's a disease, really.
    -----------------------------------
    Sony
    CDP-X77ES, CDP-X55ES, TA-N90ES, TA-E90ES, 333ESXII
    Denon
    AVP-A1HDCI, POA-A1HDCI, DVD-5910CI, DVD-2500BTCI
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    BP2000TL, C/L/R 3000, BPX, BP1X
    Pioneer
    Pro-151FD

apart from cleaning it from time to time, and checking everything still performs as it should, there's not much you can do...

do try to use decent films, pretty important to make good quality pictures...

Cheers,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

JRA
    Nice. I suspect the 707 was a nice, upper mid-range model. I'd guess you can find out more about it with some searching. You'll find compatible lenses on eBay, but lenses in good condition run to too much money to be bought frivolously.

Of course I go quite a ways back with film cameras myself -- got my first adjustable camera in 1959 and I've owned quite a few since. Nicest one was a Leica M3 rangefinder which I owned briefly in the late '60s; (see a stock photo below). These are collectors' items today. I dearly wish I'd kept mine; (it would have appreciated about 5x in nominal dollars if I'd kept it in mint condition). I sold it to buy a Nikon F SLR which was a pretty darn nice camera too.

A couple of years ago I bought a Bessa R. It's a pretty nice rangefinder film camera, though nowhere near the Leica.

Too bad but I can't afford to burn film, get it developed and printed anymore. Plus nowadays I need to scan it to digital anyway. So my picture taking to day is essentially 100% digital. When I retire I'm going to get a film scanner and digitize my many thousands of negatives and slides.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like there are tons to stuff to look into.
    I'll see if I can acquire a manual from somewhere.

As far as I can tell at this moment, regular slim digital cameras are like HT receivers, and these SLR cameras are like integrated amps... I guess mine are like some Rotel or NAD integrated amps. Nothing spectacular, but offer tremendus amount of pleasure.
    I'm not going to get into digital and analog discussion here

One question - Batteries seem to be dead. Can I just get a replacement or do I need to get a charger cord?

Quote Originally Posted by frahengeo
    As far as the camera performance, I'm a Nikon man myself, so I'll let someone else chime in.
    Hey frahengeo,

I've been told Nikon offers one of the best SLR cameras. Do you have a film or digital camera?

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    Cheers,
    Bert.
    My Man!!!!!!!! Where have you been brother? Good seeing you around.
    I hope you had a great summer.

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

A couple of years ago I bought a Bessa R. It's a pretty nice rangefinder film camera, though nowhere near the Leica.
    Feanor,

Here is a fresh new word for this thread -
    Pikktin' - taking photographs.

Those vintage cameras looks very cool. Even I can appreciate its beauty without knowing anything about Pikktin'

Your Bessa R, Do they Pikkt nicely? It certainly looks beautiful.

I undestand my Minolta are nothing special and are not collectable.
    As suggested, I think the best thing to do is to take some photos and see if it's something I want to myself into.
    Thanks for sharing.

JRA the Aspiring Pikkter,

Feanor,

Here is a fresh new word for this thread -
    Pikktin' - taking photographs.

Those vintage cameras looks very cool. Even I can appreciate its beauty without knowing anything about Pikktin'

Your Bessa R, Do they Pikkt nicely? It certainly looks beautiful.

JRA the Aspiring Pikkter,
    Yeah, the Bessa R isn't bad pikkt-wise. Nothing beats the Leica M's in that regard though. No SLR or digital camera can match a decent rangefinder.

Gently press the button: there is a instant, subtle "pikkt". No noisy ker-klunk like with an SLR, virtually no vibration, no delay like a digital. It's a wonderous thing. With a Leica M it's so subtle you can wonder if you took the picture at all.

Hey frahengeo,

I've been told Nikon offers one of the best SLR cameras. Do you have a film or digital camera?
    Nikon is nice, but always seem to be playing catch up with Canon in terms of technology. I happen to have a Nikon F6 and F100, both film SLRs. I was waiting for Nikon to put out a full frame DSLR. They finally did, but its too expensive.
    If you're new to photography and eventually become a serious hobbyist, here's a tip: The place to spend the money are in the lenses. Lenses are like Speakers in audio. Get a decent lens or two and it will serve you for a long time. Also, much like audio there are good deals to be had in the used market.
    It's a disease, really.
    -----------------------------------
    Sony
    CDP-X77ES, CDP-X55ES, TA-N90ES, TA-E90ES, 333ESXII
    Denon
    AVP-A1HDCI, POA-A1HDCI, DVD-5910CI, DVD-2500BTCI
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    BP2000TL, C/L/R 3000, BPX, BP1X
    Pioneer
    Pro-151FD

JSE
    Minolta was a fine camera back in the days of film. I think your model is a early to mid 90's model. Not 100% sure and I am also a Nikon man myself. But, Minolta made great camera.

Minolta was bought out by Sony a few years back. Sony makes a lot of the digital sensors for other camera makes such as Nikon now and they needed a camera system of their own to put them in. Minolta fit that bill. Minolta was on death's door and Sony brought them back to life. Minolta just did not have the market share and financial assets to compete with Canon and Nikon. Sony changed that, to some degree. Canon and Nikon are still the big player and probably always will be. Your lenses for the Minolta will actually work on the new Sony DLSR cameras so keep the lenses regardless. Like others have mentioned, the value is in the lenses.

The film vs. digital is up to you. If your wanting to shoot film, your new cameras will do a fine job.

BTW, no cord needed for new power. Just replace the battery/batteries.

Party like it's 1999

Still rockin' that 20th-century technology...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SLR Film Camera: Minolta 707Si ????-000_0133.jpg  

JSE
    Yeah, the Bessa R isn't bad pikkt-wise. Nothing beats the Leica M's in that regard though. No SLR or digital camera can match a decent rangefinder.

Gently press the button: there is a instant, subtle "pikkt". No noisy ker-klunk like with an SLR, virtually no vibration, no delay like a digital. It's a wonderous thing. With a Leica M it's so subtle you can wonder if you took the picture at all.

Hey Feanor, I've got a Leica M4 Chrome, M4-P Black and M6 for sale right now along with 75mm Summilux and 35 Summilux lenses.

I'm just sayin.........

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Hey Feanor, I've got a Leica M4 Chrome, M4-P Black and M6 for sale right now along with 75mm Summilux and 35 Summilux lenses.

I'm just sayin.........
    Good stuff, JSE. What else have you got that you're keeping?

I'm sure you know about the Camera Quest site (?).

JSE
    Good stuff, JSE. What else have you got that you're keeping?

I'm sure you know about the Camera Quest site (?).

I'm selling it all. I have been done with 35mm for while. No need for fine cameras to collect dust on my shelf. They have all been used over the the years and none of them are "mint" but they are in good condition cosmetically and all work 100%.

Might keep the M6 and 35 Lux on hand. And maybe the Voigtlander 15mm Superwide. It's a fun little lens.

I also have a IIIf w/ 50 Summicron for sale as well.

Yes, I am very familiar with Cameraquest.com.

Thread Information