Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Is it all relative?

So a while back we were all sitting around here *****ing about the price of gas. At the time, I think that gas had peaked here at about $1.38 a litre. This morning, gas was $0.76 a litre. That's a 45% decrease. It's been several years, I think, since I've seen it that low.

I also took a peek, this morning, at my retirement fund and investments. They too have experienced a 45% decrease. It's also been many years since my retirement fund has been this low.

Coincidence or conspiracy?

Or the company of indecency and piracy....

Coincidence, yes; conspiracy, not yet

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    So a while back we were all sitting around here *****ing about the price of gas. At the time, I think that gas had peaked here at about $1.38 a litre. This morning, gas was $0.76 a litre. That's a 45% decrease. It's been several years, I think, since I've seen it that low.

I also took a peek, this morning, at my retirement fund and investments. They too have experienced a 45% decrease. It's also been many years since my retirement fund has been this low.

Coincidence or conspiracy?
    Pretty remarkable: I saw 74.9 /litre cents around here noon today.

Look for gasoline prices to go up a lot faster than your portfolio value, (or mine). OPEC will cut production and drive the price back up to at least $.90 /litre, very soon. That will be your conspiracy.

Suspended
    TV news shows stations with $1.45/gal, but I'll be darned if I can find them.

Conspiracy:

Dick Cheney...

Exxon/Mobil...

Enron...

'Nuf said.

nightflier

What really matters....

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Pretty remarkable: I saw 74.9 /litre cents around here noon today.

Look for gasoline prices to go up a lot faster than your portfolio value, (or mine). OPEC will cut production and drive the price back up to at least $.90 /litre, very soon. That will be your conspiracy.
    Is what we all know: the market is not going up, but gas prices will. On December 17th, Opec is expected to raise prices and everyone is projecting it to be marginal, but just enough to keep the price going up slowly and steadily. So what does that tell us? Short of stoking up on Oil in our own backyards, we can buy shares in Oil-price-tracking indexes. Even if the rise is slow and could see a few more corrections, the fact is that this is the most stable investment you could make right now.

Some other good bets: Visa seems to be improving. For all those who couldn't get into the IPO, that's one hell of a buy right now. Visa isn't as affected by the home-loan / banking crisis because unlike Discover & Chase, they aren't a bank. In fact, as the economy gets worse, more people have to buy on credit (not that it's a good thing, I'm just saying this is the trend), so they use their Visa cards.

So is the price of oil conspiracy-influenced? Well not unlike any other election. It seems that every presidential election the price of oil goes down. Timing was a little off this time, probably because Obama's black (chew on that one for a while, if you like), but for the most part, this is consistent with every other election. My guess is that this is artificial, that China and Venezuella may have been the targets, but I'm not going to cry over it. Buy some DIG, wait for it to bypass DUG by a healthy margin, then sell and buy DUG until it peaks. You'll be cashing out every three months or so, and have some extra money to buy the wife some jewelry or those shiny new PSB Synchrony speakers, or whatever suits your fancy.

Thread Information