Requiescat in pace...

Printable View

• 12-12-2008, 05:28 PM
    bobsticks
    Requiescat in pace...
    This morning my Grandfather passed away.

Well into his nineties he led a wonderous life of many successes and a few failures, always anchored by familial devotion. He is survived, though I suspect not for long, by his wife of seventy-two years, as well as three daughters and a host of grandchildren. Of note too would be the many of his compatriots who visited in his last days to give support and strength, respect and rememberance. I'm thankful to them for making his way easier.

I always remember the house as one of warmth and laughter. He was a man of words though he often became entangled in them...and usually at the least opportune time. A spectacular visage he, and while I'm not entirely convinced that he didn't wear a cardigan and tie everyday for the last thirty years of his life, I could not conceive of him as stern.

This particular time of year is most poignant. I remember vinyl recordings of old-time radio shows, the smell of the Meerschaum pipe, Dickens and Poe and London and his indulgence of this adolescent's young taste for rock and roll...a taste that would ultimately be balanced by his own love of Classical.

I can see in the mind's eye the handstrung rows of popcorn and handmade ornaments, and snow on the trellis and across the fields. I can smell fresh pine and hear fresh words and bizarrely conjuncted descriptors as the angel fell from the top of the tree.

It should come as no surprise that I've walked a few dark roads. When the wild years passed my Grandfather was one of the first to welcome me back to the family, without judgement and without condition.

I want to thank Feanor. I would imagine it's frustrating posting so many seemingly ill-received missives on the Classical genre but they have been a gift to me. Over time, as I've needed to find common ground, I've used your shared knowledge to bolster my own perfunctory and humble learnings. In my last conversation with ye ol' patriarch we discussed Dvorak and Handel, Tchaikovsky and Schubert...and how Gershwin was the "Devil's Music" (lol)

Thanks for helping me reconnect with my Grandfather. It means more than you'll ever know.

Love 'em while you can

---sticks
  • 12-12-2008, 05:54 PM
    Luvin Da Blues
    I'm so very sorry that you have lost such an important influence in your life Mark. The man sounds like he was a great fellow with loads of personality. No doubt he had a hand in molding you into the good man you are today.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and I pass my condolences to all affected by this untimely passing.

May peace be with you my friend,

Larry
  • 12-12-2008, 06:25 PM
    Feanor
    A fine tribute
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks
    This morning my Grandfather passed away.

I want to thank Feanor. I would imagine it's frustrating posting so many seemingly ill-received missives on the Classical genre but they have been a gift to me. Over time, as I've needed to find common ground, I've used your shared knowledge to bolster my own perfunctory and humble learnings. In my last conversation with ye ol' patriarch we discussed Dvorak and Handel, Tchaikovsky and Schubert...and how Gershwin was the "Devil's Music" (lol)

Thanks for helping me reconnect with my Grandfather. It means more than you'll ever know.

Love 'em while you can

---sticks

It is a fine tribute to your grandfather, bobsticks.

I'm please to think that, in some very tiny way, I might have helped you fine more common ground with him. Though it might seem unimportant when we are young, I believe it behoves us to discover an empathy with our forebearers, hopefully before it is too late.
  • 12-12-2008, 11:17 PM
    RoadRunner6
    An incredibly beautiful tribute to your grandfather, Sticks. You have touched my heart with your words. He obviously had a warm and positive effect on you. Great that you had many wonderful moments with him.

May you and your family continue to celebrate his life.

RR6
  • 12-13-2008, 02:39 AM
    bobsticks
    Gracias,mi amigos.
  • 12-13-2008, 03:41 AM
    kexodusc
    Sorry to hear about your loss, Sticks.

Grandfathers are special people. When my folks were younger and found themselves with a kid they weren't ready for, they separated and loaned me to my grandparents. Like you, I had a very good relationship with my Grampy.

2 years ago I lost them and not a day goes by that I don't think about them. Some days more than others. I only hope someday I can be someone's Grampy too.

Some of us are very fortunate to have men like your Grandfather to help shape who we become. Sounds like you got some good genes in you 'Sticks....
  • 12-13-2008, 05:21 AM
    Groundbeef
    Sorry for your loss Sticks. He sounded like a fine man, and it was a very loving tribute.
  • 12-13-2008, 09:26 AM
    Worf101
    Wow...
    My heartfelt condolences to you and yours. What a moving tribute. Your words ring like truth and I thank you for sharing them with us and giving us all a chance to share a piece of this remarkable mans life.

Blessings and love...

Dave Macks and Family.
  • 12-13-2008, 06:55 PM
    bobsticks
    Thanks characters. Worf, I think you and he would have gotten along famously...both military men, both with a genuine concern for their fellow man. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall if you'd ever have had the chance to introduce him to the Fender.

I've had a chance to reflect on this and I'm pretty well at peace with everything...whatever that means and for whatever that's worth. He lived a great life and died a man's death.

I'll probably be gone well into the week making arrangements and such. Thanks for the thoughts.

...and yer right Kex, they're ain't nobody like Grandpas.
  • 12-13-2008, 08:31 PM
    Auricauricle
    I am truly, very sorry, Bobsticks. I may not know you, but I can see that you have been inflluenced and encouraged by many positive forces. Apparently, your Grandpas was a wonderful fellow who was an inspirational guide whose wisdom is of the rare sort that we can only hope to experience....All best, take care, and stay in touch.

--Aa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkZ6SmvXOEY
  • 12-13-2008, 09:46 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Very sorry for your loss Sticks. Thanks for sharing that tribute with us. If he had any part of helping to form the man you appear to be today, he must have been a great guy.

There is no good time to lose a loved one, but there are certainly worse times. Around any holiday or important event is one of those worse times. I'm sure that Christmas (or whatever you celebrate) will be hard this year. But I'm sure that he would want his family to enjoy the season, so celebrate and enjoy in his honour.

My thoughts are with you and your family.
  • 12-14-2008, 06:59 AM
    JohnMichael
    Bobsticks I am sorry for your loss but I am glad you had such a loving caring person in your life. All those wonderful memories will keep you company when you are missing him the most. My thoughts and prayers for you and family.
  • 12-14-2008, 07:18 AM
    audio amateur
    Sorry to hear it, friend. Just remember and cherish the good times, and the fact that you were able to know him. I didn't have the honour of meeting neither of my grandfathers. They had both past away long before I was born. That's what old parents do for ya!
  • 12-14-2008, 06:12 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Wow, Sticks, sorry to here about your loss man. I really had a moment reading your tribute. Amazing man, amazing grandson!
  • 12-15-2008, 01:52 AM
    Bernd
    Very sorry to hear the sad news. A great life lived full, and from what little I know a great influence on a fine young man I call my friend.
    Stay safe M. and I am thinking of you.
  • 12-17-2008, 04:25 PM
    Sugar Beats
    I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather,
    I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even in death.
    They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make.
    Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories.
    We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched and truly blessed by having shared their life and love.

I hope these words provide some comfort to you.

At times I know it feels like death can leave heartache that no one can heal, but remember that love leaves memories that no one can steal.

Someone told me that when my grandmother passed, and it's true.

I am truly sorry for you loss.
  • 12-17-2008, 07:28 PM
    YiddishaMama
    A Woman May Be A Sometime Thing, But Grampy is Forever

Somewhere in the heavenly Pentagon G is smiling. Had he been there on 9/11, Gramps would have been toast. You may have his uniform but he's up there in Air Force blue.
    Thanks for your steady arm...we didn't slip in any of those pastures. You'll need your cattle prod tomorrow.
    Thank you for a post that truly touched my heart. G is so damn proud of you.