Suspended

Remembering 9/11

As we spend this day remembering 9/11, I wanted to share a site I found days after the tragedy that is a collection of photos as well as my favorite.

Most are amateur along with some pro shots but all touching in their own way.

Here Is New York

My favorite and one that has been my desktop background many times over the last 10 years is #0569

My Story

I was at my desk in Albany. My son and his mother were living in New York City. Ian was attending the Parkside School in Manhattan and his mother was working as an Occupational Therapist at a school closer to ground zero than I'd like to say. I found out that there was something wrong from a co-worker, now retired, who chimed in "some fool just pioleted himself into the WTC."

Like him I assumed it was a Cessna or Piper Cub piolted by the worlds worst student pilot. However when he told the second tower'd been hit and both planes were commercial big boys, my blood ran cold. By the time the Pentagon got hit I assumed we were at war. I immediately called down to my son's mum but couldn't get through. As I was trying and re-trying the State ordered the evacuation of all "non-essential personnel". This kinda pissed me off because as an ex-service man all I wanted to do was suit up and strike back.

I went home, watched footage and kept phoning. I found out the next day that Ian was finally reunited with his mom and they walked 4.5 hours to get home that night. The only good thing out of this tradgedy for me is that it finally convinced her to get out of NY City (the world largest target) and move upstate with me.

Worf

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Worf, that must have been terrifying for you. The waiting and not knowing would be pure hell.

Thanks F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Worf, that must have been terrifying for you. The waiting and not knowing would be pure hell.
    I appreciate the love. Actually as comemorations go, this one was more subdued than I expected. Strange.

Worf

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    I appreciate the love. Actually as comemorations go, this one was more subdued than I expected. Strange.

Worf
    I think people reach a time where they just need to move on. I can't speak for others but, personally, I'm tired of seeing such tragic images forced on me by the media year after year.

When I log on to my Yahoo home page and I'm faced with the photograph of a man falling/jumping to his death, or a woman covered in the dust of the WTC, I get sick to my stomach, and I start to have nightmares...still...10 years later. I can't even begin to imagine how people who were directly affected must feel! I will never erase the memory of what I watched unfold on TV. Why must the media continue to drum it back into my head year after year, and starting weeks before the 11th? I don't think it's healthy.

I understand the need to remember and commemorate. But I also believe that it's time to move on and, not forget the incident, but try to forget the pain.

Perhaps that's why things were a bit more subdued this year. People are moving on with their lives, because...well because if you can't move on then you are stuck in a very bad place.

This is, of course, my own opinion so I could be way off base. But that's what I think.

Thread Information