Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

"Aren't we better than this?"

That's what some are asking after thousands wait in line to get on Sect.8 Housing waiting list in East Point, GA.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_678840.html

Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's going to get worse, before it gets better. I haven't seen anything, as far as new manufacturing jobs, (or the return of old ones) to make me think anything different.

Apparantly not...

Just where are all these "free" houses supposed to come from?

For all the huffing and puffing going on in political circles about how well the stimulus packages have worked (for who? the banks and unions?), It's about time that some new jobs opened up. ...here, not in foreign countries.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I received the link in my original post from an email through a professional list serve membership with a warning (someone's opinion) that scenes like the one in E. Point, GA will be popping up all over the country.

I'm on the side of government injecting money into the private sector (if done wisely) and government hiring to some extent to fend off economic catastrophies even at the expense of deficits and the national debt. OTOH, lots of money has gone out but it hasn't made much difference on the ground, where the rubber meets the road, etc.

It's all very sad. I hope it gets better soon. We're living week by week, but as I look around, I see many people far worse off than us.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

It all started 30 or more years ago, as corporations started sending jobs overseas.Most said they had to, to compete. But most of the competition was right here. Profit before country. Like it or not we are all guilty of it for the most part. We need a level playing ground.Maybe tax on imported goods. The good ol days are gone, until we start making things here again

Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by luvtolisten
    It all started 30 or more years ago, as corporations started sending jobs overseas.Most said they had to, to compete. But most of the competition was right here. Profit before country. Like it or not we are all guilty of it for the most part. We need a level playing ground.Maybe tax on imported goods. The good ol days are gone, until we start making things here again
    Sad but true. So sad but true. And as a parent, even if you yourself are set (to a certain extent) you worry like hell that your children are going to live in a country of vastly diminished prospects or even worse, abject poverty.

Worf

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Sad but true. So sad but true. And as a parent, even if you yourself are set (to a certain extent) you worry like hell that your children are going to live in a country of vastly diminished prospects or even worse, abject poverty.

Worf
    Could not agree more. As my daughter enters her junior year of college and my son his senior year of high school I try to remain optimistic about what lies ahead. We can not continue to have an economy based on Starbucks and $5 coffee. We have already spent our imagined wealth while living in the real estate bubble. Our political leadership needs to man up and get serious about what needs to be done instead of papering over everything to look good before the next election cycle.

Thread Information