Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question: Haircut makes you sick?

So we have this Chinese girl at work, and she claims getting a haircut makes her sick everytime...

For that, she always take a day off after getting her haircut. I don't remember who it was, but I've had someone tell me this before as well.

Have you guys ever heard of it or know anyone who gets sick over a haircut?

She's not the type who's concerned about her looks, and I really don't think it has anything to do with a bad haircut. She claims it throws her "Qi" off balance...

Sure haven't, and I sure pity her!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Due to whiplash from a car accident my aunt becomes sick from the pressure of the shampoo bowl against her neck. Some people are very sensitive to strong odors and perms and other hair treatments could trigger migraines. When I was in management one of the women wore too much Estee Lauder "Youth Dew" and if she stopped by my office and stayed for more than a few minutes I was soon on my way to a migraine. I think most styling shops are toxic nightmares.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Not sure if there is a medical issue going on, but from a work performance stance I would tell her to get her hair cuts on Fridays, so it does not interfere with work. This type of issue can cause problems in the work place with fellow co-workers that may have to take up her slack/absence from this issue and cause resentment toward her
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

I'm wondering if it's more than a simple negative association.
    Perhaps some of has more "Qi" in our hair and others?

Not sure if there is a medical issue going on, but from a work performance stance I would tell her to get her hair cuts on Fridays, so it does not interfere with work. This type of issue can cause problems in the work place with fellow co-workers that may have to take up her slack/absence from this issue and cause resentment toward her
    Agree 100%

Suspended
    She's a woman, tell her just don't get it cut. Sounds strange. Never heard of "Qi" I thought it was one of those oriental religious things similar to ones ora.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I agree with Recoveryone on this one. This can really lead to bad employee moral if she is able to continue with this game. This is a game IMO.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    She claims it throws her "Qi" off balance...
    What a load of crap!

Tell her that since missing work over this "problem" is nothing more than a scheduling conflict, she will have to use a vacation day after her haircuts. See how quickly she moves her appointments to weekends or resolves her Qi issue.

There are legitimate medical conditions that can be affected by the fumes and chemicals in salons, but with a little planning they can probably be avoided. I find that fumes from perm solution affects my asthma and makes it difficult for me to breath. I ask my salon not to book any perms while I'm there. Most of the time this works. The odd time that they've had to book a perm during my appointment, they situate me near the back door and open the door to air the place out for me. They are very accomodating so it's seldom a problem.

I personally don't believe in "Qi", but if she believes in the element then anything goes.
    It's hard to say really, perhaps she had a traumatic event over hair/haircut...

BTW due to this symptom, she only gets a haircut 2-3 times a year. So it's not like she takes a day off every 3-4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I personally don't believe in "Qi", but if she believes in the element then anything goes.
    It's hard to say really, perhaps she had a traumatic event over hair/haircut...

BTW due to this symptom, she only gets a haircut 2-3 times a year. So it's not like she takes a day off every 3-4 weeks.
    My husband is a Human Resources manager. I asked him what he would do in this situation. He said that if its not a frequent thing, which it sounds like its not, he wouldn't do anything about it. Even if it psychological rather than physical, its still an ailment for her and should be treated as such.

He's much more compassionate and understanding than I am. LOL.

Suspended
    One article does not an expert make but it would seem if she is a true believer in Qi then there should be something to do to keep her from getting sick. http://taoism.about.com/od/qi/a/Qi.htm

Any way if she is sincere then FA's husband makes sense. We often tend to play down mental aspects of health. It's interesting to get others perspective and see how it sometimes changes our own.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I can sort of understand it. Looking at receipts of my wife's haircuts makes me sick, close enough.

Just so you know, she has a strong faith in Christianity, and does not practice Taoism. But, she's a huge believer in Chinese superstitions. I could tell you guys all the abnormal facts about her, but that would only lead to assumptions that she's just mentally unstable.

Have you guys ever heard of anything like this before?

Generally, Christianity and superstition don't go together

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Ok maybe I started it, but let's not touch on that subject..

Ok maybe I started it, but let's not touch on that subject..
    Did I say something bad?

Did I say something bad?
    I just didn't want this thread to be based on religious beliefs.

Suspended
    Coincidently, I just watched Dragon Ball Evolution, I'm stoked on finding all my Qi

AA, Feanor would differ with you on your superstition/Christianity post, he feels it's one in the same, but we're not going there as JRA requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Coincidently, I just watched Dragon Ball Evolution, I'm stoked on finding all my Qi
    Are you saying that you must have hair to become a Super Saiyan?
    Now that's the craziest thing I've read on this thread.

Suspended
    Are you saying that you must have hair to become a Super Saiyan?
    Now that's the craziest thing I've read on this thread.
    Huh?

Coincidently, if you had to have hair I'd be super for sure. Apparently, all body parts have Qi that surrounds them. In Dragon Ball Evolution they took it to another level where they could harness wind and fire. Need a light/

I could tell you guys all the abnormal facts about her, but that would only lead to assumptions that she's just mentally unstable.

Have you guys ever heard of anything like this before?
    I'm long past that assumption.

No, I've never heard of anything like this before. But the mind can be a very complex thing.

All religion is superstition, mon cher ami. Just sayin'.

So we have this Chinese girl at work, and she claims getting a haircut makes her sick everytime...

For that, she always take a day off after getting her haircut. I don't remember who it was, but I've had someone tell me this before as well.

Have you guys ever heard of it or know anyone who gets sick over a haircut?

She's not the type who's concerned about her looks, and I really don't think it has anything to do with a bad haircut. She claims it throws her "Qi" off balance...
    Negative placebo effect. Duh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    AA, Feanor would differ with you on your superstition/Christianity post, he feels it's one in the same, but we're not going there as JRA requests.
    I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    All religion is superstition, mon cher ami. Just sayin'.
    Well then I would rather you didn't. It seems as though you have issues with Chrisitanity. The Chrisitan belief has nothing to do with superstition, well on the contrary!
    If you are mostly reading books to the likes of Richard Dawkins, then pehaps you should broaden you horizons.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information