Forum Regular

Pulled the trigger!

I have finally taken the plunge, i have sitting infront of me a pair of studio 20 v3's and a pio 72txv, no i havent set anything up yet but i will be playing with this for a few hours tonight and likely for the next week. I'm quite happy with my purchase, and i would like to thank all of the regs on this site for pointing me in the right direction both directly and indirectly, i appreciate all of the insight!! As for now i have work to do, Peace!

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!

My experience with all the Paradigms that I've owned is that they will tend to sound a little bit compressed and harsh out of the box, compared to what you might have heard from the dealer's demo units. Go out of the house for a few hours and let them run with some music playing at a moderately high volume. When you get back you'll be good to go, and ready to rediscover your music and movie collection.

The functions on that receiver will also give you a lot of things to tinker and experiment with, especially the room calibration and virtual surround DSPs.

Now that you got your first two speakers, what comes next? The center? The surrounds? Or the subwoofer? (Personally, I would go with another pair of Studio 20s as the surrounds)
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!

My experience with all the Paradigms that I've owned is that they will tend to sound a little bit compressed and harsh out of the box, compared to what you might have heard from the dealer's demo units. Go out of the house for a few hours and let them run with some music playing at a moderately high volume. When you get back you'll be good to go, and ready to rediscover your music and movie collection.
    Wooch is right...I don't think Paradign actually uses these speakers for audio for any length of time at all, maybe just a quick white noise/phase test to make sure the drivers work and the the polarity is right. All my Paradigm's seemed to need break-in. I bought Studio 20 v.2's about 6 months apart, and when I did a quick a/b, there was definitely a a difference.

My experience with drivers/speakers and break-in is that 95% of the break in will occur after the first 10 minutes or so. I actually took part in a short experiment where we took measurements of Thiel Small parameters of a few pairs of different woofers last year. It's amazing how much higher the frequency of resonance was than spec, and how fast it moved towards spec after just a few minutes of play. About 10 minutes at a few watts (enough to use a mm or two of excursion) really loosened things up. The lower the input signal the longer it took since there was very little work being done. I suspect if you gradually turned the volume up quite high the break in would happen faster.

I can say with full certainty that break-in for speakers is NOT a myth.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    ditto on Studio 20 break in.

Forum Regular
    They're breaking in as we speak, the salesman suggested 40 hours or so. As for whats next.....im really not sure, maybe the sub, or another pair of 20's, i was also considering adding a Nad c272 to the mix. The receiver does the speakers justice, but its hard for me to explain being an audio novice, the receiver sounds excellent, but the amp made them sound like there was more there, it was clearly a different sound, if that sounds right to you guys (i lack the technical vocab). I have also found a Canadian dealer of Hsu subs, and i've been reading up quite a bit on the VTF line, and i have to give them a listen. If i were to live in the U.S. i would be buying an Omni s12 for $400 from vanns.com (retails for $800 us). Perhaps it'll be the sub i can hold off on the amp for now since im using this for 2ch until i have the funds to get the full surround set, and i can biwire for now. I'll keep you guys posted as my system progresses

Forum Regular

Sub arrived

VTF-2 Mk2 arrived a couple days ago. All i have to say is wow. Wow.

Wayne

Thread Information