Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Suspended
    A topical treatment I use on my kitchen table which is soft but elegant looking is Scott's Liquid Gold. It really brings up the finish by deep cleaning it. I only use it once-in-a-while though.

So was that helpful info for you FA?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    A topical treatment I use on my kitchen table which is soft but elegant looking is Scott's Liquid Gold. It really brings up the finish by deep cleaning it. I only use it once-in-a-while though.

So was that helpful info for you FA?
    Will it get out minor scratches?

It looks like the scratches that I put into the table are definately into the wood (I'm bonehead!). But the marks from the cat are just superficial in the finish.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Any type of "polish" will mask the surface scratches. However, especially if they have wax in them will cause serious issues down the road if you ever want to refinish it.

For cleaning, use Murphy Oil soap. Anything in a can (think Dust-off, or "liquid gold") are crap for future work.

The problem for you is that it is a "new" table and already suffering loss of finish. That doesn't bode well for future wear. It is possible that your new table is so fresh tha the finish hasn't had time to "set" but I would think that highly unlikely. Usually the window for that is less than 30 days.

Your best bet is a clear plastic tablecloth. Or paw removal.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

I looked online and came up with a listing for an ash table on Sears (Canada) and guess what...lacquer finish. Blows my idea out of the water. Apparently the finish you're having a problem with is already lacquer.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I looked online and came up with a listing for an ash table on Sears (Canada) and guess what...lacquer finish. Blows my idea out of the water. Apparently the finish you're having a problem with is already lacquer.
    I don't think that my particular table is on the Sears website. It's a custom deal. You pick the table top shape, leg shape and stain. Then there's like 10 chairs to pick from, the stain and at least 20 fabrics for the seats. They build to order. Thanks for looking though.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    The problem for you is that it is a "new" table and already suffering loss of finish. That doesn't bode well for future wear.
    Yeah, that's my concern. I expect wear and tear over time. I'm not going to cry over a few scratches, but it's too soon. We've only had it since Christmas. And we've only used it a handful of times. I'll pick up some Murphy Oil Soap and give it a try. Thanks.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Will it get out minor scratches?
    Well, I guess not since "liquid gold is crap for future work".

Quote Originally Posted by FA
    It looks like the scratches that I put into the table are definately into the wood (I'm bonehead!). But the marks from the cat are just superficial in the finish.
    No, I'M the bonehead here. OTOH, I don't plan on doing any "future work" on my kitchen table. Just polish to keep the grain looking luxurious. I'll live with the cat claw scratch by covering it with a centerpiece, placemat or other ornament.

I have a friend who took some heavy, heavy stuff on the door to his house--I'll send y'all a snap in a bit--even a hurricane won't touch it....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Wax

I've tried waxing my dining table...it's maybe 25 years old. I have mostly all the same dents and scratches, but now they're shiny.

Yeah, but dents, warts and other marks are signs of character! Unless yours is a Chippendale or god-only-knows-how-expensive...

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Yeah, but dents, warts and other marks are signs of character! Unless yours is a Chippendale or god-only-knows-how-expensive...
    'tis true. With FA's table, the marks probably stand out because of their new surroundings and the watchful eye of the table's new owner. At age 25, our Pulaski table indeed shows the warts more like character than flaws. Besides, its condition is better than that of the 80-year-old floor.

Pulaski...Had to look that one up...Looks pretty Rococo-esque! Should blend nicely.
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

They do seem to have quite a but of the highly-ornate styles, but there's a little of the more-casual, too...

http://www.pulaskifurniture.com/inde...l%20Dining.cfm

Very handsome, indeed! I'm a fan of Fosots*, m'self...

*Found-on-the-side-of-the-street

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    'tis true. With FA's table, the marks probably stand out because of their new surroundings and the watchful eye of the table's new owner. At age 25, our Pulaski table indeed shows the warts more like character than flaws. Besides, its condition is better than that of the 80-year-old floor.
    That's probably very true. But does that mean that I have to wait 25 years for all the dents and scratches to give the table character instead of just looking dented and scratched?

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    That's probably very true. But does that mean that I have to wait 25 years for all the dents and scratches to give the table character instead of just looking dented and scratched?

No, considering that your table is mass produced in 25 years you will simply have a mass produced table with substancially more scratches.

Have you contacted Sears?
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information