Police nab Craiglist robbers

Lets hope this story don't give more crooks ideas.

UPDATED STORY-After a rash of Craigslist customers in Chicago were robbed on the South Side, police scoured the popular Web site's ads for similar posts and posed as buyers.

When the purported seller of plasma TVs at bargain-basement prices lured undercover detectives to gangways and then brandished weapons, the officers pulled out their guns and made arrests. The bandits started off by claiming to be selling smaller electronics such as $100 Xboxes and then graduating to higher-priced TVs for $500.

"It's robbery by appointment", Detective Joseph McGuire said.

To add legitimacy to their ads, the three always asked for "serious buyers only" and requested that buyers contact them by phone, not e-mail, police said. But that proved to be their downfall. Those were the two phrases we were looking for," Lt. John McMurray said. "We had an idea, based on the language in the ad, that this was our individual."

Detectives built the case over a month, scouring the Web site every day for ads and subpoenaing Craigslist for information on previous posts.

Dwayne Williams, 20, was charged with robbing a dozen victims on eight occasions. Most of his crimes took place within a three-block range of the 8700 block of South Parnell Avenue, a block away from his grandmother's house, police said.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I hate to say it, but I think people's greed helped to motivate these crimes. I mean if it look's too good to be true...

This guy lured em in like curious cats.

If you really think about it, that could happen any where where an item is sold thru ads, even thru local paper classified.

One could read the ad in paper, go to seller’s house and rob them/him/her if the coast is clear.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    If you really think about it, that could happen any where where an item is sold thru ads, even thru local paper classified.

One could read the ad in paper, go to seller’s house and rob them/him/her if the coast is clear.

For sure, but this particular thief was preying on people's greed, plain and simple. That was the bait. He knew, put an outrageous deal on CL and someone is sure to rationalize why it's so cheap and bite. I mean, when something is well below its market value, whether its stolen, or DOA or whatever, I think that people should know better.

Chicago IL
    Not surprised! On the south side is full only with african americans! They will do anything to get your money! Like the people say don't go to the south area especially when the sun goes down! I have been there couple of times and it is scary! On the stores says like this:
    1. No hats and sunglasses.
    2. No hands in the pockets
    3. No big bags and etc.

If you have any of the above we have the right to call the police!

Imagine guys what I am talking about!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    Not surprised! On the south side is full only with african americans! They will do anything to get your money! Like the people say don't go to the south area especially when the sun goes down! I have been there couple of times and it is scary! On the stores says like this:
    3. No big bags and etc.

Huh

What is that suppose to mean?

Chicago IL
    I meant that there are more criminal people around that area and people are poor so they will do anything to get your money! You know what I mean! no racism in my words!

Well the need to say "African American" was inappropriate..... All races have their poor and desperate people. And for the record this is LJ's wife. Its all good though. Just felt that was a little to blunt.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    this is LJ's wife.
    Hi Mrs. L.J.

Craig's list makes me nervous.

I have friends who sell stuff on Craig's list all the time and they keep telling me that we should do the same with some of the stuff that we want to get rid of. But I'm really uncomfortable inviting strangers over to our house to see the stuff we want to get rid of (and the stuff that we don't).

Reading things like this doesn't help me feel better about it.

I'm glad to hear that the cops caught up with these guys though.

Not surprised! On the south side is full only with african americans! They will do anything to get your money!
    That is a quite bit large brush you are using my friend. I never been to Chicago, but I am sure the South side is not the only part of town that crimes happens.

Quote Originally Posted by FA
    But I'm really uncomfortable inviting strangers over to our house to see the stuff we want to get rid of (and the stuff that we don't).
    That is very clever sentencing

I’m also very uncomfortable having strangers over looking around. Last year I had a TV in local paper for sale, and for three days that Ad was in the paper, did not answer the phone during day and let the buyer leave a massage. Then I called them back at night (so they can’t come over) to see which is serious buyer, or just browsing

Then I only give my address to the individual that will probably buy. You will know whom is potential buyer just by talking to them.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    CL is no different than a lot of sites on the web whether it be a dating service or a social network in that those who are running a scam or committing criminal acts use it as a tool to lure their naive or unsuspecting victims. A little common sense and an ounce of precaution and you should have no problem with 90% of the people or items posted on CL. Think of it as an electronic garage sale with some great deals out there.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    3. No big bags and etc.

Ya know, Bernie Madoff was not African American and didn't live in the South side of Chicage (by the way love your city), and he also did everything to get people's money. And what about that guy from Texas Sanford, he wasn't African American either, and he also did whatever he could do to bilk folks out of their money. What about the Wall street guys, they basically stole American's 401k with their greed, and those firms do not employ mostly African Americans. Greed and thievery transcends color and race. Yes the south side is bad, but in my neck of the woods so is Antioch, and it is not populated predominately by African Americans.

This post does smell like racism, and even if you didn't mean it - it does not change that fact. There is a great rule that should be wisely followed when you participate in forum such as these. Think before clicking submit. Had you used your own race instead of African American, you could plainly see how badly this can be taken.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Well the need to say "African American" was inappropriate..... All races have their poor and desperate people. And for the record this is LJ's wife. Its all good though. Just felt that was a little to blunt.
    Dang Mrs LJ, you and your husband must be on one accord. I could have sworn this was LJ writing this instead of his better half.....not that his other half is bad
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs