Eating Grapes at supermarket

Wonder if I'm only one eating grapes while shoppinng at local grocery store?

Usually take a small bunch, wash it at drinking fountain and eat one at a time while grocery shopping.

Some poeple might call that stealing. But I'm regular customer, so I call it loyalty fee

SMH
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I love grapes! I eat grapes every single day to the tune of about 3 pounds of grapes a week. It's the only produce that I'll buy regardless of the cost (within reason). But I always pay for them first.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Yep stealing. I prefer my grapes fermented but I can not uncork a bottle of wine while shopping. Well I am a regular so I deserve this one glass.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I prefer my grapes fermented but I can not uncork a bottle of wine while shopping.
    Now that would be stealing

If you remember in the old mama&papa's grocery stores or street fruit stands, they let customer sample the product (within common sense) before buying. So traditionally, it is kosher.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Wonder if I'm only one eating grapes while shoppinng at local grocery store?

Usually take a small bunch, wash it at drinking fountain and eat one at a time while grocery shopping.

Some poeple might call that stealing. But I'm regular customer, so I call it loyalty fee
    Sorry, Smokes. That's a pretty feeble rational for malfeasance.

I've been know to take a single grape or pistachio but I don't do it often and haven't recently. Taking a whole punch, even if small, is over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Now that would be stealing

If you remember in the old mama&papa's grocery stores or street fruit stands, they let customer sample the product (within common sense) before buying. So traditionally, it is kosher.
    Smokey, you are not just sampling the product before buying. I will, on occasion, do that before paying $4.99 a pound for grapes. I take one grape though. Eating a bunch while you shop is not a sample IMO, it's stealing. Why not just munch on an apple or a banana while you're at it? It's no different.

Most of the grocery stores that I shop at will let you sample a product, if you ask first.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 06-25-2014 at 08:00 AM.

If an employee would be terminated for the same behavior I would think they do not want their customers doing it.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Eating a bunch while you shop is not a sample IMO, it's stealing. Why not just munch on an apple or a banana while you're at it? It's no different.
    Criticism well taken

Sorry that you brought it up now?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Sorry that you brought it up now?
    Not really. I thought it was kind of funny (at expense of store). I have seen the same scenario used in TV sitcoms as sarcastic joke, so apparently I'm not the only one

Charm Thai™
    When i was a lad my mom used to take my hand and slap it if i tried to grab for a grape when grocery shopping. She explained it to me as stealing so to this day i do not "sample".

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Smokey, the consensus appears to be that your behavior is not only abnormal, but also criminal. Ergo, you should seek help and delete this thread to avoid self-incrimination.

I sampled olives at the Fresh Market olive bar a couple weeks ago. I'm glad I got that off my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Smokey, the consensus appears to be that your behavior is not only abnormal, but also criminal. Ergo, you should seek help and delete this thread to avoid self-incrimination.

I sampled olives at the Fresh Market olive bar a couple weeks ago. I'm glad I got that off my chest.

But did you have intent to purchase?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information