Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pet Peeves While Driving

The new Cars movie has me thinking about my favorite hobby and combined with the cell phone thread, I noticed that I'm not the only one supressing road rage towards my fellow motorists that are...um...less attentive than they should be.

So...

What are your pet peeves regarding other drivers?

Some off the cuff observations:

* Cell phones: Get off your phone and drive. This ain't no moving toll booth, sunshine.
    * Portable DVD players...on the dash!. While driving. In traffic.
    * Sitting in the left lane while forcing others to go around you to the right.
    * Eating, putting on make-up, reading the paper, or anything else not related to driving.
    * Young kids that should be in car seats but aren't.
    * Driving slower than the speed limit. (Yes, yes, I know this is perfectly legal. It's also perfectly annoying...particularly when I'm stuck behind you )
    * Weaving in and out of traffic lanes, usually without a signal

C'mon, join in on the fun! It's cathartic!

What drives me nuts is when people feel compelled to come to an almost complete stop when making a right turn even though the light is green or otherwise an unobstructed pathway to the right turn. When I lived in Madison, it seemed like every driver had to come to a complete stop when turning right. I wanted to go nuts so often, I just couldn't stand it. Back here in LA it's much better but you still get the occasional moron who feels compelled to slow to 5mph to turn right when there's no need to.

Likewise, I hate people who drive 60mph in the fast lane of a freeway.

All good points so far. How about this one? As a Harley rider, this one gets me the most. Someone stops at a stop sign on a side street. Sees a car (or motorcycle) coming about 1/2 mile away. They wait until the car is just about to go bye, and then they pull out in front of them.

People who think that they can get me to go faster by getting 3 inches fron my rear bumper. Can't you see that there is a car in front of me? How can I go faster?

People driving down the road with their blinker on. Where ya turning?

People from the other direction turning left in front of me with no blinker.

Waiting on a side street for someone to pass by so you can get behind them. But they turn down another street. No blinker.

People who slow down to 30 in a 55 mph zone because they saw a cop. Duh...

One for the flag guys/ladies. You are coming up to construction. One flag person is waving for you to stop. The other is waving you though. Both are upset with you for not following. Get your act together will ya.

I could go on all day.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

People that swing out to the left before turning right.

People that swing out to the right before turning left.

People that, at the last minute, go almost diagonally from the leftmost lane, across traffic, into the exit.

People who see leaving any more than one car length between me and the car in front of me as an invitation to cut in and step on the brakes.

People that stay in the right lane of a limited access highway and intentionally match the speed on traffic entering it ...when they could either speed up, slow down, or safely pull into one of the middle lanes, thereby granting access to the entering vehicle.

People who crawl up my arse when they could easily pass me.

Anyone in front of me that goes slower then I do and won't let me pass.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

OK two things...

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    What drives me nuts is when people feel compelled to come to an almost complete stop when making a right turn even though the light is green or otherwise an unobstructed pathway to the right turn. When I lived in Madison, it seemed like every driver had to come to a complete stop when turning right. I wanted to go nuts so often, I just couldn't stand it. Back here in LA it's much better but you still get the occasional moron who feels compelled to slow to 5mph to turn right when there's no need to.

Likewise, I hate people who drive 60mph in the fast lane of a freeway.
    Didja' ever think maybe there's a good reason to make a turn at the speed you feel comfortable with and if that's 5-10mph, well...I've never noticed my speed, I'm usually looking for the errant pedestrian or vehicle to pull an @hole move...I wouldn't think it would be more than 10-15mph certainly not the NYC limit of 30 or the Nassau county 40mph...we have 90deg corners and don't have banked turns in my neck of the woods!

60mph on Long Island Expressways would be speeding...the limit is 55 with a minimum of 40...

Back on topic...the ones who are on the horn the millisecond the light turns green...I'd love to stick that horn where the sun don't shine...

jimHJJ(...People who park at bus stops, or who use handicapped parking spots when they aren't, or have baby-on-board signs...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

people driving slow in the left lane (especially when they are holding up a line of cars)

people on the phone, too focused on their conversation to drive (almost got whacked by one of these idiots yesterday)

people who don't use turn signals, especially the ones who weave in and out of lanes without signalling (rampant in in northern cali)

RUBBERNECKERS!!!! especially at the stupid things like some idiot who just got pulled over, everyone has to slow down to gawk. just drive, a-holes!!

people who slow to a crawl as soon as they see a cop - hello, you are still allowed to go the speed limit!! there is no need to drop to 40mph, especially after you were going 70!!

old people.

giant suvs that drive slow and i can't see around. Lexus SUV drivers tend to be exceptionally bad drivers for some reason.

prius drivers - that stupid gauge on made them discover that the slower they go, the better mileage they get. now we all have to drive 45 mph. (FKA volvo driving hippies)

who me, road rage??

OK, now I'm...

...curious...what constitutes driving slow in the "fast" lane...

It's been mentioned a coupla' times, in a coupla' threads and I'm wonderin'...Is the posted speed limit considered slow?

I mean if everyone was doing the limit, wouldn't that obviate the need for such a lane?

jimHJJ(...hmmm...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

What constitutes driving slow in the "fast" lane?

IMNSHO, the fast lane should be for passing only. It matters not what the speed one is traveling there, but if someone wants to go faster, then the driver in the leftmost lane should yield to the faster one.

IOW, unless one is a policeman or my mother, they have no right to tell me how fast I can drive.

And, this brings up ANOTHER pet peeve. Rolling roadblocks, (or embolisms) which occur when cars ride side by side in all lanes and maintain a constant speed, thereby preventing anyone from passing.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    IMNSHO, the fast lane should be for passing only. It matters not what the speed one is traveling there, but if someone wants to go faster, then the driver in the leftmost lane should yield to the faster one.

IOW, unless one is a policeman or my mother, they have no right to tell me how fast I can drive.

And, this brings up ANOTHER pet peeve. Rolling roadblocks, (or embolisms) which occur when cars ride side by side in all lanes and maintain a constant speed, thereby preventing anyone from passing.

DMV would be quick to point out, there is no fast lane. It is called the passing lane. It's for passing. Anyone not passing someone should move right.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...curious...what constitutes driving slow in the "fast" lane...

It's been mentioned a coupla' times, in a coupla' threads and I'm wonderin'...Is the posted speed limit considered slow?
    I think the accepted speed is five mph over the speed limit. cops never pull you over below 10 mph over of the speed limit. that said..

WHen there's a line of cars behind you, and you are in the left lane, you are driving too slow.

when you are moving slower than the speed limit, then you are driving to slow.

when you're on a cell phone, you're driving too slow.

if you're forcing people to pass you on the right, you're driving to slow.

when i want to get around you, you are driving too slow.

that answer is better than mine. It's the passing lane!! it should stay clear. too often you see EVERYBODY cruising in the left lane, and the right is open.

What's this blinker thing you guys keep referring to?

Double.hmmm...

...anarchy? So let me get this straight...If I'm doin' 55 (the limit on LI) while passing a gaggle of geeks (your embolism) doin' 54 and some numnutz drives up my backside blowin' his horn and flashing his highs, I'm required to exceed the speed limit or jeopardize myself, my passengers or other drivers with an patently unsafe move, simply because he's got a bug up his backside? Eventually, I will get ahead of the pack, see both headlamps of the nearest passed vehicle in my inside rearview mirror and be able to safely move to the right. Are you (or anyone else) saying I'm wrong?

Following the logic of your cop or mom statement, no one has the right to say I shouldn't head to high ground with a 'scoped rifle...

Might have been in the AAA mag or a local paper's police blotter column: When finally stopped for repeated unsignalled lane changes and when asked why signals weren't being used, a motorist replied "You have no right to know what I'm going to do"

jimHJJ(...that seems about right...)
    Last edited by Resident Loser; 06-06-2006 at 11:37 AM. Reason: consonant correction in final paragraph

...anarchy? So let me get this straight...If I'm doin' 55 (the limit on LI) while passing a gaggle of geeks (your embolism) doin' 54 and some numnutz drives up my backside blowin' his horn and flashing his highs, I'm required to exceed the speed limit or jeopardize myself, my passengers or other drivers with an patently unsafe move, simply because he's got a bug up his backside? Eventually, I will get ahead of the pack, see both headlamps of the nearest passed vehicle in my inside rearview mirror and be able to safely move to the right. Are you (or anyone else) saying I'm wrong?
    Nope, keep going as you are. As long as you are passing and not pacing.

Following the logic of your cop or mom statement, no one has the right to say I shouldn't head to high ground with a 'scoped rifle...
    I dn't follow.

Might have been in the AAA mag of a local paper's police blotter column: When finally stopped for repeated unsignalled lane changes and when asked why signals weren't being used, a motorist replied "You have no right to know what I'm going to do"

Sounds like my dad is driving again.

JIm, I just gotta ask this...

Might have been in the AAA mag of a local paper's police blotter column: When finally stopped for repeated unsignalled lane changes and when asked why signals weren't being used, a motorist replied "You have no right to know what I'm going to do"

If you were behind that rolling embolism, you wouldn't be passing anybody. All available lanes in front of you would be populated with cars, side by side, going the exact same speed. You'd be stuck behind, and staring at a "my kid is on the dumfuk high honor roll" sticker on the rear end of the car in front of you, slowly going into a slow burn with steam coming out of your ears and nostrils. Actually, I'd like a scoped rifle at times like this, particularly if some bozo climbs up my arse and starts honking.

Seriously, in a situation where I'm passing someone and some speed demon wants to go faster then me, I'll cut to the right as soon as I'm done passing the gaggle of goonies. No, I ain't gonna slam on my brakes and slow down to cut into the line but I might speed up a bit to hasten the process.

Common sense and courtesy should prevail but hey, we're from Noo Yawk and Noo Joisey, what do we know about dat stuff? Heck, the only thing using directional signals does here is give the other guy advance warning of our intentions and a chance to block us.
    Last edited by markw; 06-06-2006 at 11:49 AM.

Man o' man...

...markw, your "edit" confused the bejebbus outa' me!

jimHJJ(...thought I wuz havin' a siezure...)

sorry, I misinterperted one of yer sentences.

...markw, your "edit" confused the bejebbus outa' me!

jimHJJ(...thought I wuz havin' a siezure...)
    Ithought you said you were going 55 and someone going 54 came up on you from behind and, oh well, never mind. No more edits on that one.

Markw(sometimes I confooze meself)

Oh man, you guys are great! I agree with everything that has been noted. I loved Mark's observation about people swerving left to turn right and vice versa. SO TRUE!

A short story about rubberneckers:

While living in LaLa Land, I decided to visit my girlfriend who lived in San Bernardino. For those of you unfamiliar with the unique driving environment that is SoCal, this area is the World Record Holder for Rubberneckers. If you pull over to change a tire, you will back up the freeway for 5 miles. If it's an accident: 50 miles. Easy.

But I digress...

Normally, the LA to San Berdoo drive takes a bit over an hour. Less if there's light traffic.

3 1/2 hours later...

Yep, I'm fuming. Thank God I had a sunroof otherwise the steam pouring out of my ears would have completely fogged up my car. I've travelled exactly 50 miles. In over 3 hours. On the freeway. There was no use turning around because the other direction was as snarled as mine. That's the beauty of SoCal. An accident won't just screw up your lane. Oh nooooo, SoCal's bevy of morons going the other direction will have to slow down to look too. Truth. Anywho, I finally arrive at the accident somewhere around Ontario whereas I yell something regrettable out the window and finally sail on to San Bernardino.

And yes, she was hot enough to actually go through that Hell .

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I love this thread! You've all raised some great pet peeves. Rubberneckers is certainly one of my biggest peeves. You know, if someone is in an accident or parked on the side of the road for whatever reason...it's none of your GD business!!! Mind your own business and just drive. Unless you're pulling over to help them, MOVE ON people. If you're pulling over to help then pull over already and get out of the way.

Here's another one. I'm stopped at a red light and I'm the second car in line. The car in front of me is crawling (roll, stop, roll stop) over the line and into the intersection like they're in a big hurry. When the light finally turns green, they just start rolling and crawl along way under the speed limit with me stuck behind them. C'mon! Go already!

People who move into "Right turn only" lanes, sit through a red light, and then go straight. Thus keeping the people who want to turn right from turning because they're stuck behind this a-hole who can't read a sign (this one happens to me almost daily).

People who don't wait their turn at 4-way stops. Or worse, people who don't stop at Stop signs altogether.

People who steal the parking spot that I've been sitting and waiting for.

People who cruise up and down the isles in the mall waiting for a spot close to the door instead of just parking further away where there are lots of spots. If you're going to spend hours walking around the mall, is it going to kill you to walk another 50 steps in the parking lot????

People who speed in School Zones.

People who drive along side me and won't let me change lanes.

People who don't wave to thank me when I slow down to let them change lanes.

People who drive on the same roads as me!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

OK, what really burns me

My pet peeve is when I'm rolling up in the left lane @ 72mph, and the guy in the center lane figures it the perfect time to pass the guy in front of him that's going 62mph, by pulling into the left lane (my lane) and speeding up to 63mph JUST as I'm about to overtake him. Oh, and without using a blinker either!

I ALWAY use my blinkers when ever I change lanes. One of my biggest pet peeve is when I'm looking to get into the right lane, put my blinker on and the guy in that lane speeds up as fast as he can to cut me off. If I see you do that prepare to take evasive manouvers as I'm going to pull right in front of you regardless and your either going to jam on the brakes or pull out your insurance card.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Goeff, goeff, Goeff... didn't you read what I said earlier?

A brief reprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Markw
    Common sense and courtesy should prevail but hey, we're from Noo Yawk and Noo Joisey, what do we know about dat stuff? Heck, the only thing using directional signals does here is give the other guy advance warning of our intentions and a chance to block us.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Nope

A brief reprise.
    I didn't even read what you wrote now
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Did you ever notice that anybody that drives slower than you is an a$$hole and anybody that drives faster than you is a maniac?

"Would you look at this a$$hole?!? Get out of the way!!!"
    Vrrroooooommmm!!!
    "Holy sh!t! That guy's a maniac!!!"

-George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    People who drive on the same roads as me!
    Got on a roll huh?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Got on a roll huh?
    Yeah. I'm the only good driver on the road. Everyone else are morons who should just stay out of my way.

And don't even get me started on the bike couriers downtown! That's a whole 'nother rant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information