Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Parlez vous francais?

I am considering some language programs to become more conversational in French. I am looking at the Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur Approach and Fluenz. I am doing this both for future trips to Quebec City and Paris and a mental exercise. I do have neighbors who are fluent so I can practice speaking with them. My goal is not to be fluent but more conversational.

I first studied French in a rather progressive Catholic elementary school. My teacher knew then what we know now that children learn languages easier at a young age. When I studied French in high school my teacher was surprised what I already knew. I want to be more conversational but my brain also needs the exercise.

If you have used any of the systems available please let me know.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I am considering some language programs to become more conversational in French. I am looking at the Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur Approach and Fluenz. I am doing this both for future trips to Quebec City and Paris and a mental exercise. I do have neighbors who are fluent so I can practice speaking with them. My goal is not to be fluent but more conversational.

I first studied French in a rather progressive Catholic elementary school. My teacher knew then what we know now that children learn languages easier at a young age. When I studied French in high school my teacher was surprised what I already knew. I want to be more conversational but my brain also needs the exercise.

If you have used any of the systems available please let me know.
    I'll be staying tuned for responses. In particular I'd like to bone up on my French Canadian French.

Canadian French has a significantly different accent and many different words and usages from Parisian/cosmopolitan French. You will be easily understood speaking the latter in La Belle Province but you might not always get what the Quebecois are saying; many Quebecois consider a Parisian French snooty or pretentious.
    Last edited by Feanor; 07-15-2013 at 06:05 AM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Funny story from the bar in the Manoir Victoria Hotel in Quebec City. I was sitting and drinking some wine when a gentleman from Paris sat beside me. The bartender was having a hard time understanding him but I knew what he was asking. I relayed his request since she could understand my French.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I'll be staying tuned for responses. In particular I'd like to bone up on my French Canadian French.

Canadian French has a significantly different accent and many different words and usages from Parisian/cosmopolitan French. You will be easily understood speaking the later in La Belle Province but you might not always get what the Quebecois are saying; many Quebecois consider a Parisian French snooty or pretentious.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Funny story from the bar in the Manoir Victoria Hotel in Quebec City. I was sitting and drinking some wine when a gentleman from Paris sat beside me. The bartender was having a hard time understanding him but I knew what he was asking. I relayed his request since she could understand my French.
    Good one!

Thread Information