Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I am not the same around all people. At work I am quiet and guarded with what I say. When I am in a room of straight people I do not flame. When I am at a party with people who know me well I might say something outrageous. I think we all adjust our behaviors to some extent. Would you act the same way at a strip club as you would at a church.
    Ya know, all I did was post my personal observation of what I don't like about the big O. So far, all the push back I got has actually validated my observation.

I stated she acts one way with certain people and another way with others. Nobody has proved that otherwise. You say style, I say I don't care for it.

Sadly enough, I have only been to 2 strip clubs in my life over 30 years ago and I try not to go to churches unless it's a wedding or funeral, where there is protocol for both to follow no matter color or race.

Other than that, anyone who knows me personally knows that I don't pull too many punches. I'll tell you what I think and if you can't handle it, it's your problem. So the short answer is that I don't have multiple personalities but I am also not in your shoes and really wish it wasn't that way for you. We all have a right to be who we are without being judged by others, but we can all still have our opinions now can't we?

Why don't we attack Worf for his opinion on how she meddles in peoples relationships?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    So what you are advocating by this response is that all interviewers should act like Lenno, Letterman or Carson....all white men.
    OK, so lets look at Arsenio Hall. He was a black man doing interviews. He acted the same way with all guests from what I can remember.

I wasn't advocating anything. I was stating MY opinion as to what I don't like about her or her style if they are actually two different things.

You know better than this man. Everyone has their own style of interviewing. Winfrey has hers, Carson had his, Lenno has his, and Letterman has his. If all of these people interviewed the same, talk television would suck dog balls.

I personally think all these shows suck and I don't have time to watch them anyway.

Plus, I don't see you complaining about Ellen DeGeneres trying to dance like a black people, or using hip hop or rap on her show.
    Why don't you start an Ellen thread and I will put my comments about her there. This thread was about the Big O.

You have just degraded yourself with this response, and I know you are better than this. Remove that monochrome filter of yours and learn to accept the "uniqueness" of each individual talk show host approach to interviewing guests.
    First of all, you don't know me or anything about me besides what I post here. I haven't nearly degraded myself as you have playing good christian out of one side of your face, while attacking others for their thoughts and opinions from the other side.

I don't call flip flopping your personality or persona uniqueness, I call it phoney.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Wow. This thread sure went to hell quickly.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Pretty much everything non-audio related seems to run that course here.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Maybe we should go on the Dr. Phil show.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

But that's the way it is with threads, eh? Am I right. Well of course I started this thread, so mia coppa, I suppose.

I really don't have an opinion on Oprah for reasons I stated in the first place. However I do know that people tend to change their style depending on who they're talking to. I do this to a degree too; in my case it's typically to conform to the other person's expectations for their comfort and, consequently, my own.

However another person might change their style in a more exploitive way. I don't know whether this might be true of Winfrey.

I think Bobsticks went over the top when he shouted "Racist". Calling a person that tends create a lot of gratuitous acrimony. I tend to thing Hyfi's observation was a little more benign than 'Sticks' inference about it.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    If one read the content of my post and the included link one would see that I emphatically did not call anyone racist. I likened the situation to the dust up between a race-baiting, attention-seeker and a company that dared make light of her very public behavior.

One can easily dislike Oprah, or any other person, for reasons that have nothing to do with race.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post

I think Bobsticks went over the top when he shouted "Racist". Calling a person that tends create a lot of gratuitous acrimony. I tend to thing Hyfi's observation was a little more benign than 'Sticks' inference about it.
    I wasn't sure if Sticks was playin or what with that response, but I was only playin back with mine.

My original post, again commended her for the good she has done along with my personal observation as to how she acts with her guests. Several responses to that have validated my observation but somehow labeled me the racist. That was exactly why I prefaced my statement in the first place.

So here is another non racist observation. She has promoted way too many Fad Diets and Weight Loss schemes over the years, none of which she could stick to for any length of time as she has yo-yoed up and down continuously.

Did ya hear she got busted at the airport?

Yeah, they caught her with 100 pounds of crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post

So here is another non racist observation. She has promoted way too many Fad Diets and Weight Loss schemes over the years, none of which she could stick to for any length of time as she has yo-yoed up and down.

ack.

Yes weight loss is a struggle.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

She has promoted way too many Fad Diets and Weight Loss schemes over the years, none of which she could stick to for any length of time as she has yo-yoed up and down continuously.
    That's actually not true. As someone who has also battled with weight issues, I followed Oprah's weightloss programs. She always promoted healthy, nutritional foods and a good fitness regime. She never did the Jenny Craig or Dr. Bernstein thing. She promoted healthy living.

As for her yo-yoing, well that happens to the best of us fighting with being overweight. She was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism which affects your matabolism and makes it that much harder to control weight gain.

I criticize Oprah for lots of things but her weight is not one of them. She inspired millions of people to live healthier lives. I think that her openness and honestly about her weight is one of the things that endeared her to many people.

Suspended
    That's actually not true. As someone who has also battled with weight issues, I followed Oprah's weightloss programs. She always promoted healthy, nutritional foods and a good fitness regime. She never did the Jenny Craig or Dr. Bernstein thing. She promoted healthy living.

As for her yo-yoing, well that happens to the best of us fighting with being overweight. She was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism which affects your matabolism and makes it that much harder to control weight gain.

I criticize Oprah for lots of things but her weight is not one of them. She inspired millions of people to live healthier lives. I think that her openness and honestly about her weight is one of the things that endeared her to many people.
    I guess what I meant, is that Diets do not work. Lifestyle changes do. You can't just go on some fad diet and stick to it for any length of time. Any diet that cuts out a particular thing is bad.

If you want to try something that works, and does not have to be stuck to with unrealistic expectations is the Isagenix detox program. Email me if you want more info, but it completely changed my metabolism. It is a full body detox, not just a colon cleanse as some of the fads that O had guests on her show promoting. It is a cellular level detox with a fantastic side effect, weight loss and the ability to keep it off with regular maintenance.

Before I did the program, over 3 years ago, I weighed 184. Not way overweight, but ideally for my height, I should be near 165. After the initial 2 weeks of the program, I was at 157. After the program, I leveled at between 160 and 163 and have stayed there for 3 years.

I did change some of the things I eat as well as start eating many good things that I never used to.

The other thing to do is get a book called "SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life" along with it's accompanying recipe book.

I guess what I meant, is that Diets do not work. Lifestyle changes do. You can't just go on some fad diet and stick to it for any length of time.
    I think that Oprah would agree.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    OK, so lets look at Arsenio Hall. He was a black man doing interviews. He acted the same way with all guests from what I can remember.
    Once again, that is HIS style, not Winfrey's. Let her have her own space, and stop comparing her with others as if they set a precedence on how the job should be done. Nobody wrote a rulebook on how to interview people right?

I wasn't advocating anything. I was stating MY opinion as to what I don't like about her or her style if they are actually two different things.
    Her style is to make her guests as comfortable as they can be. If that means talking different ways or using different wordage or phrases with different guest, she will do just that.

I personally think all these shows suck and I don't have time to watch them anyway.
    This is not the point. The point is they have their own style - none of them have the same way of interviewing people.

Why don't you start an Ellen thread and I will put my comments about her there. This thread was about the Big O.
    Not needed. Ellen was an example of a point, not the topic at hand.

First of all, you don't know me or anything about me besides what I post here. I haven't nearly degraded myself as you have playing good christian out of one side of your face, while attacking others for their thoughts and opinions from the other side.
    You can use the inflammatory word of attacking all you want, but another person can say it is challenging a point. And please, don't through my faith into the picture. I never said I was the model of perfect Christian behavior, and obviously you don't use good judgement when choosing your words. Everyone has their issues right?

I don't call flip flopping your personality or persona uniqueness, I call it phoney.
    That's your opinion, and like asses we all have one.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended

That's your opinion, and like asses we all have one.
    Right, but only your opinion is valid. you did not challenge me, you told me in so many words that my opinion was racist.

I don't care for her, you do. Get over it.

I also only brought up Arsenio, because you challenged me again about all white hosts acting white.

You have already validated my observation several times. The fact that your all worked up and defending her is odd. you also challenged FA on her opinion as to ego.

Why don't you just allow others to have their own opinion and not try so hard to force us to have yours?

I am not the same around all people. At work I am quiet and guarded with what I say. When I am in a room of straight people I do not flame. When I am at a party with people who know me well I might say something outrageous. I think we all adjust our behaviors to some extent. Would you act the same way at a strip club as you would at a church.
    You mean, stick dollar bills in the sister's panties while yelping it up?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    You mean, stick dollar bills in the sister's panties while yelping it up?
    Assuming that is what he meant, your answer would be...?

you also challenged FA on her opinion as to ego.
    I didn't see that as a challenge; just a counter-point based on the experience of someone who actually knows her. If you want to be in a pissing match (over Oprah Winfrey of all things!) please leave me out of it.

Well now...

I agree that she has done a lot of good for many people and shared her wealth. However, I did not like her as a Talk Show Host. It may sound racist, but it's not...but she acted very differently depending on who she interviewed. I find that phony or not genuine.

Whenever she interviewed white guests, she would act very white. Whenever she interviewed black (or african american) guests, she put on a whole different act as if she was "in da hood."

Having this discussion with others, they would claim that in order to get a good interview, one has to know and interact with their guest in a certain way...I say BULL. You never saw Johnny talking ebonics, you never saw Lenno or Letterman jive talking or strutting about. They all acted exactly the same no matter who they interviewed.
    I understand your statement, however I don't find it to be totally true. I watched Carson for years and the yuckery he engaged in with Sammy Davis Junior and Cosby was WILDLY different from his banter with Rickles or Rivers. I know this because I watched it. I was watching when Letterman made his infamous "Lawn Jockey" Joke and the drummer in the band (who was black) stormed off the Stage. In that I don't have anything to say about Leno is not because he's not guilty of the same thing, but because I don't watch the man.

Now, Oprah's style of interviewing could change from interview to interview for a number of reasons.

1. Any interviewer worth their stuff, would tailor an interview for the subject. NOT the other way round. I personally would NOT expect her to interview Tom Cruise the same way she'd interview Whoppie Goldberg... to do so makes no sense.

2. She obviously has varying levels of personal comfort with various people. This would obviously lead to a difference in how she talks to them. I talk much differently to a life long friend or relative than I do to a stranger.

3. Any minority in America has had to learn to use different voices/accents/vocabularies at different places and at different times in order to succeed in a world where we don't make the rules. This is FACT. This ability to change, mimic, patronize even is why I am not living in the projects or a trailer park like my sister. It's a tool and a skill and one I've learned to use from the first day I was bussed to an all white school in 4th grade.

4. I would be the first person to call out someone playing the coon. I've done it here before and won't hesitate to do it again. If I ever felt for one minute Ms. Winfrey was fronting for whites or blacks I'd tell her so in a heart beat.

Worf

Right, but only your opinion is valid. you did not challenge me, you told me in so many words that my opinion was racist.
    Hyfi, nobody up till your first post injected a racial angle into this discussion. By foolishly doing so, you opened up a can of worms - hence my comment about your poor choice of words. You should know by now ANY racial statement is the "third rail" in any discussion. When you hold up three white men's style as acceptable, but criticize a black woman for not doing what they did, then your are opening yourself up to some powerful criticism.

I don't care for her, you do. Get over it.
    I have nothing to get over, I don't care about what you like or dislike.

I also only brought up Arsenio, because you challenged me again about all white hosts acting white.
    I challenged your rather racial statement, and the fact that you think all interviewers should interview alike. That is a narrow minded way of looking at television interviewing. Arsenio was cool, he was not racial. I know this because I worked on his show its entire run. It was not about black or white, it was about being cool.

You have already validated my observation several times. The fact that your all worked up and defending her is odd. you also challenged FA on her opinion as to ego.
    Your observation is based on some racial slant that did not have anything to do with anything. I validated her change of style as her way of doing things. You said her style was fake, but refuse to acknowledge that is just her way of doing what she does. There is nothing "fake" about what she does according to my cousin that worked for her. That is who she is on and off camera, and if you knew more about her(instead of making negative statements in a vacuum), you would not have made that statement. Statements made out of ignorance are never helpful to a discussion.

Why don't you just allow others to have their own opinion and not try so hard to force us to have yours?
    I am not stopping you from having an opinion, I am challenging the slant that you are placing on it. I am also not forcing mine on you, just challenging statements made without a shred of evidence to support it except your perceptions which can be wrong. FA stated that she thought Oprah had an ego. My cousin says it is not an ego, but confidence and sureness. She would know this better than you, me and FA.

Why don't you allow different people to have different ways of doing what they do, instead of negatively judging them because it does not fit your narrow view of how things are done?
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 06-03-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I would think you would have to watch Oprah every day to decide that she changes approach with different guests. If you are not a frequent Oprah watcher how would you know unless bias is your guide.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Heheheh........I can't believe you guys and gals spending 45 posts discussing Oprah. Gossip city

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Heheheh........I can't believe you guys and gals spending 45 posts discussing Oprah. Gossip city
    It's been a rough summer Smokster, have you seen the new release lists? Besides, 10 years from now when Ellen retires it'll be so much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    It's been a rough summer Smokster, have you seen the new release lists? Besides, 10 years from now when Ellen retires it'll be so much worse.

How dare you bring up Ellen's retirement when I have yet to heal from losing Oprah.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

How dare you bring up Ellen's retirement when I have yet to heal from losing Oprah.
    Wanna band-aid and a cookie??
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Wanna band-aid and a cookie??

A glass of wine and a hug would be better.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information