Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Does anyone here have family in Japan?

And, if so, are they okay? IIRC RoadRunner6 used to spend a lot of time there (I think his wife was Japanese), but I checked his profile and he hasn't posted here since July 2010. I'm just hoping that everyone is safe and accounted for.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    No family there. My connection is kind of limited. My son went to Japan with People-to-People several years ago. He stayed with a Japanese family. The mother is an artist. She gave him one of her paintings. I need to ask him if he's checked on their well-being.

Several members of another forum I frequent (straightbourbon.com) are US citizens or ex-pats living in Japan. I believe all of them have checked in via the "Japan check-in" thread set up shortly after the earthquake/tsunami, but some haven't been heard from since the news regarding the reactors has gone downhill.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Jay (Jrhymeammo) is the only one that I know of that has a direct family link in Japan, and his Grandmother is uninjured and is doing as well as can be expected. TheHills (formerly shodiluk) has an Asian connection but I'm not sure of the specific area.

I think this forum is largely a Western dealio with a smattering of our European bretheren thrown in for good perspective.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Several members of another forum I frequent (straightbourbon.com) are US citizens or ex-pats living in Japan. I believe all of them have checked in via the "Japan check-in" thread set up shortly after the earthquake/tsunami, but some haven't been heard from since the news regarding the reactors has gone downhill.
    Isn't most Japanese whisky produced "scotch-style"?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Isn't most Japanese whisky produced "scotch-style"?

I believe it is. Like Amrut from India, I think the Japanese purchase peated grain or malt from Scotland.

Interestingly, some of the best whiskey made in the US (allegedly) is for export only. For example, Four Roses spent most of the 20th century selling its products in Japan and still has a premium whiskey exclusively for Japan. Some of Wild Turkey's better products are for export only and are popular in Japan.

I have a bottle of this in my whiskey bunker - may have to open it soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting. I've never been a fan of the dark stuff but I'd imagine it would be fascinating in a compare-and-contrast way...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Interesting. I've never been a fan of the dark stuff but I'd imagine it would be fascinating in a compare-and-contrast way...
    I've hosted a bourbon tasting which was lots of fun. The trick is to get the right variety of ages, recipes (high rye, corn and wheat) and proofs without so many that the palate is dead before you get through them. The guests were making notes and were surprisingly fascinated with the history, the federal regs (e.g., the meaning of "Bottled in Bond"), different mashbills, aging, etc.

I'd like to host an international whisky tasting - a bourbon and a rye from the US, two contrasting Scotches (there are 3 or 4 regions each with its own style), a Japanese, an Irish and maybe a Canadian or Indian (India is coming on as of late).

One of these days I'm going to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival by god.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well I have been considering Japan as my next stop on the teaching trail. I have recently applied for a position in Hong Kong and finished my second interview. But it's quite stiff competition and my experience was a little light compared to others. Hiring around 11 people with over 80 applicants so I'm not holding my breath. My alternate was Fukuoko which is one of the nicest cities I've been to. Cleaner than Vancouver which means it's probably cleaner than any city in North America. A lot of new hires have left or those ready to go to Japan have changed their mind. So there should be jobs there now. Since it's southern Japan the worry of radiation is not there. Plus the women!

Charm Thai™
    One of my ex's is from Miyazaki City and all of her family is still there. She said they felt the tremors but were far enough south to avoid the tsunami.

Good luck with the HK application RGA. I was there last year and absolutely loved it.

Thread Information