Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Okay enough talk... Git your lazy asses out and VOTE!!!

I don't care WHO or WHAT you vote for just vote. Exercise your franchise the same franchise that men and women of all races and religions have died for you to have. And whatever the outcome, may the Republic be STRONG!!!

On another sadder note. I Voted when the polls opened at 7:00 AM this morning but I've other fish to fry. One of the guys that works for me runs a logging business on the side. Yesterday morning he fell while operating a chainsaw, nearly severed his right leg. I'm off the hospital.

Respect and love Dave dearly, but I've warned him for years about logging ALONE. And of course the chaps were in the truck.

Da Worfster
    Last edited by Worf101; 11-04-2008 at 07:57 AM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have been serving on my county's Grand Jury and one day after we had indicted I went up and voted early. Today I have the luxury of sitting here enjoying a cup of coffee and watching the news. I have not been this excited about an election well I have never been this excited about an election. One candidate is so bright, eloquent and his values are very similar to mine. We may have a president who can and will speak to the world.

Also I would like to say to all the California residents I hope you vote against Prop. 8.

Worf I am sorry to hear about Dave's accident. I hope he recovers quickly and completely.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thanks for the love and the exercise of your franchise.

Da Worfster

Suspended
    I voted last Thursday but I think I'll stop by and vote again today too.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I voted three weeks ago so your reminder is a little late. But if it makes you feel better, my guy won (I know that it makes me feel better!).

So sorry to hear about your friend/co-worker. If he was out there alone, it sounds like he may be lucky just to be alive. I hope that he has a full recovery.

Voted.
    May the lesser of two evils win. Whoever that may be.

Sorry to read about the leg. Hope he's ok in the end.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    While it remains my understanding that I could have pursued an absentee ballot - my wife and I chose to vote in our country of residence this year on principle, and I am not voting in this election.

Though the thought did enter my mind to auction our votes off on ebay...

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Got to the polls at 5;30AM and after a 1 1/2 hour wait I was part of the record turnout they are predicting here in the Old Dominion. A proud parent moment as I watched my daughter cast her first vote!

No matter who wins it was a joy to see so many people braving the pouring rain to get out and excercise their right to vote.

Worf- Hope your friend/co-worker gets better and has a complete recovery!

Cudos to you, Kid, for spending 1.5 hours in line so that you could vote. That's admirable.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but could someone explain why there is such a long line-up? Do they not have enough polls open to accomodate the population? Is there such a steady stream of people all day that lining up first thing in the morning is warranted? Or is it just that most people find that early morning fits into their schedule the best, so that there's a morning rush?

I've never experienced line-ups of more than a few minutes long to vote here, so I find this very curious.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Cudos to you, Kid, for spending 1.5 hours in line so that you could vote. That's admirable.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but could someone explain why there is such a long line-up? Do they not have enough polls open to accomodate the population? Is there such a steady stream of people all day that lining up first thing in the morning is warranted? Or is it just that most people find that early morning fits into their schedule the best, so that there's a morning rush?

I've never experienced line-ups of more than a few minutes long to vote here, so I find this very curious.
    No different than anywhere else I suspect FA - depends on a lot of things - mostly time of day, population density where the polls are at, voter turnout. I don't think it's any different in most countries.

My county in NB has maybe 120,000 people and a lot of different polls, it still took us about 45 minutes to vote last month - big lineup. And that was a record low voter turnout? Oh, and it took another hour to visit all the polling stations because of someone else's errors. They didn't like me cracking jokes asking "who was winning" either...one old lady, I'm guessing she was 82 if she was a day old, gave me a tongue lashing my mother would have been proud of...

Suspended
    Turnout for this election will shatter any previous records. The bigger problem is finding a voting machine that actually works!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Got to the polls at 5;30AM and after a 1 1/2 hour wait I was part of the record turnout they are predicting here in the Old Dominion. A proud parent moment as I watched my daughter cast her first vote!

No matter who wins it was a joy to see so many people braving the pouring rain to get out and excercise their right to vote.

Worf- Hope your friend/co-worker gets better and has a complete recovery!
    Ummm... If you have kids then you'll have to change your username here oldtimer.

Larger turnouts generally favor the Dems. I predict that JM's choice will win.

Hey, I've got a 50/50 chance, right?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    No different than anywhere else I suspect FA - depends on a lot of things - mostly time of day, population density where the polls are at, voter turnout. I don't think it's any different in most countries.

My county in NB has maybe 120,000 people and a lot of different polls, it still took us about 45 minutes to vote last month - big lineup. And that was a record low voter turnout? Oh, and it took another hour to visit all the polling stations because of someone else's errors. They didn't like me cracking jokes asking "who was winning" either...one old lady, I'm guessing she was 82 if she was a day old, gave me a tongue lashing my mother would have been proud of...
    Thanks Kex. I guess maybe I'm just spoiled in my riding.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I'm in Illinois. I voted this morning at 7:00am. I waited 3 minutes. Voted, and was out the door. I was #108. I live sorta out of the way, so we generally don't have a line out the door.

I'm just happy to vote, and urge everyone else to do it as well!
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but could someone explain why there is such a long line-up?
    At my polling place this morning I spoke to one of the voting officials while waiting. Our precinct has 4400 registered voters in it. There were 10 touchscreen machines and it took me about 3 minutes to select my candidates and I knew who I was voting for while I watched others hover over their machines for around 5 minutes.

Ummm... If you have kids then you'll have to change your username here oldtimer.
    Well I think I explained my username before as one that does not belie my true age. It stems from my early basketball days where I was often picked up as "the kid" by the older players. It became a nickname that stuck for a variety of reasons and seemed like a better user name than OWGWBK........Old White Guy With Bad Knees.....

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    One candidate is so bright, eloquent
    Wow, the nicest words I have heard anyone express about McCain!

RR6
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Bully for you Worfster, great sentiments.

The last several days I've tried to avoid the internet as much as possible...haven't been fond of the tone things have taken. I'd have to add that the more I've investigated the more I've learned about each candidate which I didn't like.

This has been a very devisive campaign season and I wish the best of luck to whomever the winner may be. Hopefully the victor will be able to unite us beyond much of the strife, do some good for the folks that need it the most, do no harm, and avoid stumblings into ideological extreme.

Tall order, eh?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I'd have to add that the more I've investigated the more I've learned about each candidate which I didn't like.
    Ahhh...the lesser of two evils...

its like asking which eye you'd like poked out

This is healthy. I'll miss Tina Fey but this shows me we can try to change for the better.

Congradulations

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I don't care WHO or WHAT you vote for just vote. Exercise your franchise the same franchise that men and women of all races and religions have died for you to have. And whatever the outcome, may the Republic be STRONG!!!

I congradulate Americans on their turn out for the presidential election. I heard that is was the highest in many decades. Making a choice and voting is the essence of democracy -- even when the choice is for the least evil.

Higher turn out in most countries often comes from younger and poorer votes. In turn this usually means more support for left-leaning parties. I suspect that the Republicans shrewdly anticipated this trend early on. Since the Republican Party is inherently incapable offering anything of economic substance to lower income citizens, they recognized they had to appeal to more irrational motives. The selection of Sarah Palin, IMO, was an attempt to bring out what I call the "second consituency" of that party.
    Last edited by Feanor; 11-05-2008 at 06:17 AM.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I am stunned, proud, but still cannot get a grasp on what happened last night. America has changed, changed for the good, and I am so.....I am having such a difficult time expressing myself. I never thought in my lifetime I would see a minority, especially an African American EVER be President of this country, but it happened. And it happened with a multi-ethnic coalition, a beautiful combination of so many races, faces, and backgrounds, the true America that this is just stunning to me. I could live a lifetime, but nothing bought me more pleasure than to see my two boys cry in joy over what we witnessed last night. I like this new America, and I am going to take the day off to savor this moment in history.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I can't vote in the US election but we all paid close attention to it here as what happens in the US has a strong effect on Canadians. Rightly or wrongly, sometimes what happens in the US has a greater affect on us than what is happening in our own country.

I like Obama. He's smart, he's charismatic, and he's well spoken. I believe that he will bring about change. The fact that he was elected with such strong numbers shows that Americans are ready for change. But there is a lot of pressure riding on him to now deliver that change. I truly hope that he's up to the job. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I am stunned, proud, but still cannot get a grasp on what happened last night. America has changed, changed for the good, and I am so.....I am having such a difficult time expressing myself. I never thought in my lifetime I would see a minority, especially an African American EVER be President of this country, but it happened. And it happened with a multi-ethnic coalition, a beautiful combination of so many races, faces, and backgrounds, the true America that this is just stunning to me. I could live a lifetime, but nothing bought me more pleasure than to see my two boys cry in joy over what we witnessed last night. I like this new America, and I am going to take the day off to savor this moment in history.
    I think that's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Also I would like to say to all the California residents I hope you vote against Prop. 8.
    Well, I guess Americans (Californians, anyway) aren't ready to be that liberal. So sorry JM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information