Now...

Printable View

• 10-12-2009, 02:26 PM
    Worf101
    Now...
    I've seen and heard bout every friggin think I can imagine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ZjOEk4-dI

Englands full of strange vocalists.

Da Worfster
  • 10-13-2009, 05:43 AM
    GMichael
    Wtf
    ..was that? As always, Simon hit the nail on the head. It was like meeting a dog that meows.
  • 10-13-2009, 06:40 AM
    3LB
    testosterone regimen, stat!
  • 10-13-2009, 06:48 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LB
    testosterone regimen, stat!

That might ruin his beautiful voice. He should be who he is now and stay happy with himself. (And he did seem plenty happy):skep:

Don't fret though. I got that it was a joke.:cornut:
  • 10-13-2009, 09:11 AM
    3LB
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Don't fret though. I got that it was a joke.:cornut:

Thank farkin gawd...I was starting to feel like a Baptist at a NOW rally.
  • 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    My ears hurt.
  • 10-14-2009, 08:01 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Actually folks, he is quite a good counter-tenor. It not something you see or hear often, but there are some really amazing counter-tenors out there performing opera. I give him major props, his pitch dead on, but he did have some timbrel problems.
  • 10-14-2009, 08:51 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Actually folks, he is quite a good counter-tenor. It not something you see or hear often, but there are some really amazing counter-tenors out there performing opera. I give him major props, his pitch dead on, but he did have some timbrel problems.

I'm sure that he is...I just don't enjoy that type of singing.
  • 10-14-2009, 09:46 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I'm sure that he is...I just don't enjoy that type of singing.

I can certainly understand that. It is an acquired taste, much like that nasty cabbage like stuff I see on hot dogs in New York. My first impression of this type of singing was quite in line with Simon's. It was like watching a dog meow. But now I have heard some really great counter-tenors, and I believe it is a skill that only a select few can do well. Opera is particularly friendly to counter-tenors.
  • 10-14-2009, 10:16 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible

Indeed, the countertenor voice featured very prominently in Baroque opera, e.g. Handel, et al., and also Renaissance music. There are plenty of countertenors around today singing that repertoire. Yes, it's true: post-pubescent countertenors use falsetto to achieve that vocal range.

I'm afraid the astonishment of the judges and audience, (and Youtube viewers), is one of ignorance. Read a very compriehensive article on the countertenor voice at Wikipedia. As noted there, the most prominent countertenor of the 20th century was Alfred Deller. I have couple of recordings (LPs) featuring his work.

Some of you will be aware of the King's Singers who sing a lot of Rennaisance repertoire and whose original members include Alaistair Hume, their countertenor at the time. I also have the following SACD of Handel duets featuring Robin Blaze, a countertenor ...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SS500_.jpg