• 09-06-2013, 08:40 AM
    markw
    Well, some go on to be successful car salesman. Look at Brad Benson and his great radio commercials (One example here

What's the MOST precious part of the human body?
  • 09-06-2013, 08:49 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw View Post

What's the MOST precious part of the human body?

I would say the heart, but for some it may be something else. And that is why they wear cups :).
    I am pretty sure you can live with a dead brain but not without a beating heart.
  • 09-06-2013, 09:00 AM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I am pretty sure you can live with a dead brain but not without a beating heart.

Congress being a prime example. :biggrin5:
  • 09-06-2013, 09:01 AM
    markw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post

Lawyers and politicians do quite well. ;)
  • 09-06-2013, 09:43 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Dunno about that. Both entail their brains bouncing off the inside of theirskulls. I think boxers actually suffer the greater risk since their head is the intended target from the get-go and with ball players, it's just an incidental risk since the body is the main target, and they do wear headgear which, unfortunately, cannot protect the brain from hitting up agiinst the inside of the skull upon sharp impact.

I wasn't clear. That's what I meant. Being punched repeatedly in the head would be far worse than occasional concussions.

Quote:

so, should one be sued for something that was done in the past, the dangers od which they weren't aware of until recently?

Quote:

Are you saying the sports doctors were ahead of the rest of the medical profession in these areas and didn't share their knowledge? The players weren't free to see their own doctors?

No. Not at all. Again, maybe I wasn't clear. What I was trying to say is that so much of the medical information on this topic is new that the doctors and the league would not have known any better than anyone else the extent of the long-term effects of the injury.

The players have the right to sue the league. But they will have to prove that the league was negligent. I don't think that will happen. If this does go to court, I think the players will lose. But more likely, I think the league will settle. The players, I'm sure, are all just looking for a payoff. Is it right? Personally, I don't think so. Is it within their rights? Yes.

Quote:

Well, if they wantto continue to get those fablous paychecks and endoesement dollars, it sure behooves them to, doesn't it?
    Yes, it does. And if they are going to continue to do it, then I consider their inflated salaries "hazard pay" as it was all part of the job.
  • 09-06-2013, 10:22 AM
    Hyfi
    The info is not so new that the current players do not have the choice to stop risking their health. They do so for the money. And hey, if they get hurt doing it, sue, sue, sue.

We have been reading about these head injuries for a few years yet every rusher leads with his head.

If you took the paycheck down to what we all make, they would not be playing the game and risking injury daily.

And with the info we now have, maybe parents should be thinking twice about the activities the have their kids involved in.