Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769

    Never buy anything made by Haier.

    When we reno’d our kitchen we bought a Haier dishwasher. We were told by the sales man that it was as good as a high end Bosch or Miele for half the price. It worked great up until a few weeks ago when it stopped draining properly and the top rack started to stick.

    The owner’s manual says that we have a 12 month full warranty and a 2-year limited warranty on the water system, which I assume would include the drain. The 12 months expired less than a month ago. Under the 2-year-limited, we would have to pay for the service call and the repair to the top rack, and Haier would pay for the parts to the drainage system (if new parts are even needed).

    I called Haier and they looked up our model number and said that we only had a 12 month full warranty and it had expired. I explained that I had the manual with the warranty information in front of me and it said we had a 2-year-limited warranty.

    Long story short, the customer (lack of) service rep explained that the North American manuals were translated from Chinese and sometimes they were wrong. I told her that’s not my fault; I had a warranty that said the parts were covered for two years. Were they going to honor it or not?

    Not.

    I was pissed, so out of principal I called the store where we bought the dishwasher to see if there was anything that they could do to help (we bought five appliances from them and it was their salesman that convinced us to buy the Haier dishwasher in the first place).

    I calmly explained the situation to them and they are sending a repair company over and repairing the dishwasher at their expense as though it was still under the full warranty. I suspect that they will somehow charge it back to Haier, but that’s not my concern.

    All the limited warranty covered was parts. It would have probably cost Haier next to nothing (or nothing, if no parts needed to be replaced) to honor that warranty. We would have had to pay for the labour and whatever the problem with the top rack is. Instead, they refused to honor the warranty that I had in writing. I will never buy another Haier product. And I’m telling everyone I know about this.

    What a stupid way to do business.

  2. #2
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,363
    You're lucky the store decided to help you. I'm sure they sensed some rage in you and were afraid of you pursuing local media or the like. Bottom line nowadays, with any product, is to say anything to get your money out of your pocket and into theirs, they worry about everything else after this.

  3. #3
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    You're lucky the store decided to help you. I'm sure they sensed some rage in you and were afraid of you pursuing local media or the like. Bottom line nowadays, with any product, is to say anything to get your money out of your pocket and into theirs, they worry about everything else after this.
    No, I don't think they sensed rage. I was actually very nice with them. This store is known for good customer service, which is one of the reasons that we chose to give them our business in the first place.

    Helping me works in their favour. I will recommend them to our friends but warn our friends to avoid any Haier products. And the next time I need appliances (we will still need a washer and dryer) they are the first place I'll go.

  4. #4
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,363
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    No, I don't think they sensed rage. I was actually very nice with them. This store is known for good customer service, which is one of the reasons that we chose to give them our business in the first place.

    Helping me works in their favour. I will recommend them to our friends but warn our friends to avoid any Haier products. And the next time I need appliances (we will still need a washer and dryer) they are the first place I'll go.
    I see, well let me change that. I sensed the rage lol. Seriously glad it worked out.

  5. #5
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Congrats on getting the store to help you out Aunt Fa. But... uh.... Didn't I tell you to get the Kenmore?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  6. #6
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Congrats on getting the store to help you out Aunt Fa. But... uh.... Didn't I tell you to get the Kenmore?
    OMG! Kenmore?! Sears?!

    Don't get me started on Sears lack of customer service. I once had a VCR repair that, after 12 weeks of banging my head against the wall, led me to contact the V.P. of Sears Canada. That was a long time ago but I still hold a grudge.

    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I see, well let me change that. I sensed the rage lol.
    Yeah, probably. As I wrote that I was getting pissed off all over again.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,421
    F. Autumn, I would contact consumer reports and a consumer protection agency and really stick it to Haier. That is the lamest excuse. If your manual states it has a 2 yr warranty then they have to honor it.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  8. #8
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    928
    My wife and I purchased a Bosch and could not be happier. It's the quietest dishwasher I've ever had. If you do notice it, it sound very low and muffled, like very distant traffic. We always set the timer so it washes during the night. I've never heard it.

    My father had a similar problem with the drain on his dishwasher. With just the two of them at home, they rarely used it. The repair person found because he rarely used it, food had hardened in the drain and stopped the impeller of the pump. You may be able to clear the obstruction yourself with one of those flexible spring-type drain cleaners they use for coffee makers. If this is the cause, it may be worth the effort to avoid future repairs as well.

  9. #9
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    OMG! Kenmore?! Sears?!

    Don't get me started on Sears lack of customer service. I once had a VCR repair that, after 12 weeks of banging my head against the wall, led me to contact the V.P. of Sears Canada. That was a long time ago but I still hold a grudge.

    :
    So far, with a house full of Kenmore, we have never had to get any service.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  10. #10
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    My wife and I purchased a Bosch and could not be happier. It's the quietest dishwasher I've ever had. If you do notice it, it sound very low and muffled, like very distant traffic. We always set the timer so it washes during the night. I've never heard it.

    My father had a similar problem with the drain on his dishwasher. With just the two of them at home, they rarely used it. The repair person found because he rarely used it, food had hardened in the drain and stopped the impeller of the pump. You may be able to clear the obstruction yourself with one of those flexible spring-type drain cleaners they use for coffee makers. If this is the cause, it may be worth the effort to avoid future repairs as well.
    There was a Bosch in the house when we moved in but it was white and kinda banged up and we wanted stainless. My boss's dishwasher died so I gave him the Bosch to thank him for being so understanding about the time I needed off work during the move and renovations.

    The Haier is as quiet as the Bosch for half the price. I've been really happy with the performance, it's the lack of service that I'm unhappy about.

    Thanks for the tip. Another friend told us that we need to clean the filter, but there is nothing in the manual about that. I'm going to take a look at it over the weekend. Even if we fix the drain problem, we still need a service call for the upper tray.

    My next dishwasher will a Bosch.

  11. #11
    Oldest join date recoveryone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,435
    I have seen this Haier brand in a few stores, when I was looking to replace my old dishwasher. There are TV's washers and dishwasher from what I have seen. But I'm always a little skeptical about new brand names when I see them in stores and your story fullfills my notion. Many Chinese companies buy off other brands and put a new name or even use the old name to keep selling a known product. The result is a poorer product and nearly no customer service to speak of. That is how they can offer it at a much lower price than the others, less over head.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

    Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

  12. #12
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    I have seen this Haier brand in a few stores, when I was looking to replace my old dishwasher. There are TV's washers and dishwasher from what I have seen. But I'm always a little skeptical about new brand names when I see them in stores and your story fullfills my notion. Many Chinese companies buy off other brands and put a new name or even use the old name to keep selling a known product. The result is a poorer product and nearly no customer service to speak of. That is how they can offer it at a much lower price than the others, less over head.
    I actually did a bunch of research on Haier before buying the dishwasher, because I'd never heard of them. They are the fourth largest appliance manufacturer in the world. What I was told by the salesman was that Haier is trying to get into the North American market so they were offering their products at low prices to get market share. Once they had brand recognition here, the prices would go up. It's the same strategy that LG used.

    You're right about no customer service however.

  13. #13
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    928
    The best dishwasher I've ever had was a Kenmore. It cleaned and kept itself clean for the entire 17 yrs we had it. I had to resolder a capacitor on the control board once, and the door springs failed. Other than that it was good up until the time we replaced it. Although it was still working, my wife wanted to replace it because she just got new stove and refridgerator and heard they were discontinuing the "Biscuit" color which matched the other appliances.

    We got the stainless steel version, but I think the white plastic had a cleaner look.

  14. #14
    Oldest join date recoveryone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Once they had brand recognition here, the prices would go up. It's the same strategy that LG used..
    LG, another brand I have yet to warm up to, I was told by some sales guy that LG was some old company that brought out Zenith. If you take what was said about the Haier game plan, then they are willing to take a loss on the quality product, which mean the cost of the high level components and highly skilled labor that assemble each unit and shipping cost and the cost to the local retailer to sale it at half of the competition. Bosch it known as top of the line and all others fall in line, But I have seen Haier sold less than Whirlpool, Kenmore, GE and LG, so how long can they afford to go with this strategy.

    I'm not buying it. If I make a high quality item, then I would need to charge enough to atleast cover my overhead. Now over time I find a way to cut my overhead then I would be able to lower the cost of the item.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

    Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

  15. #15
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    LG used to be Goldstar, I believe.

    I don't know if what I was told is true or not and I don't really care anymore. But sometimes business's need loss leaders. Take a temporary loss in North America to build your brand and use profits from another division to subsidize it. Invest money to make money. It's a valid (if somewhat risky) business model that can pay off. I've seen it before.

    It's all really irrelevant now since Haier is dead to me.

  16. #16
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    That's great service on the store's front, as already mentioned.

    Let me tell you something, French customer service sucks compared to what you get in the US and probably Canada too. In France, when you're buying something it's like you're just doing them a favour!! You really wonder why they don't have any more business sense. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone but it is something that's quite common.

    In the UK, there's already a big contrast and people are generally much friendly and readily available to help...

  17. #17
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,421
    We have an LG fridge and dishwasher. The dw is whisper quiet, you really can't hear it running unless you bend down next to it.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  18. #18
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    201
    The only thing in my house from Haier is one of of those Wine refrigerators. So far so good. It keeps the wine cool.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •