cam

Need some help from the GAMERS out there

I am not into video games at all, I must of got it out of my system hanging out at the arcades when I was a teenager. But anyway, I want to get my 7 year old son a new system for Christmas this year - he currently has a nintendo 64 right now. Now considering his age should I get a nintendo gamecube ($110) or a sony ps2 ($160). I am not going to shell out $500 for an xbox or ps3. With the availability of gamecube and ps2 games what should I get? Thanks.

Well personally I prefer the playstation 2 for the variety of games such metal gear solid and final fantasy. The PS2 is more geared towards the older generation, were as the gamecube has games for younger generations as well such as zelda, and super smash brothers.

I think most of the games on the new Wii are tailored to your kid's age, although the system might be more expensive than you wish to shell out.

Does he play sports?

well, you'll be better of with a console like a ps2 or an xbox or even a wii (although the wii's controller is kindof weird) since your 7 year old kid won't mind or it has hdr or not (next gen graphics) i'll say you should avoid the new consoles, but, it was the same with the old consoles (ps1 and others) as soon something new comes out, everybody will bring their games out for that, and forget the old consoles,

that said, it depends if your kid wants new games (released after this point that you are reading this) if he does, buy the wii (when possible) when he doesn't bother about new games buy a ps2. xbox could be an option, in that way you'll be able to play some games online (at least when you buy (and keep paying) for xbox live).

when possible, ask your kid what he wants to play (genres of games: sport, sim, racing, fps (very unlikely for a 7 year old) rts or other) then look them up on www.gamespot.com and look on which platform they were released... or just wait a while (a year or so) and then the prices of the consoles will drop half.

hope this helped,
    Basite,
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Very good point, its a great idea to check out gamespot.com, although I do stand by my theory, that your son being 7 years old would most likely enjoy the Nintendo game cube best.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

cam

I'm going to get a ps2

Thanks guys. I'm kind of thinking that games for the gamecube might be hard to come buy in the very near future whereas I'm thinking that I should have no problem getting games for the ps2. That price I stated for the ps2 ($160) comes with one game, either gran turismo 4, god of war, ratchet & clank: up your arsenal, hot shots golf fore, or socom 3.

My son likes playing 007 on nintendo 64 which has alot of shooting, any recommendations for ps2 games that have search and destroy type themes. Which one of those games that come with the ps2 should I get. I also want to get about 3 or 4 more. Thanks.

Yep PS2 is a good choice, eventough i am hardcore PC gamer Even won two Trophys in Quake 3 and UT2004 Tournaments in bavaria......aah those where the times before HIFI
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Talking Video game help

Quote Originally Posted by cam
    I am not into video games at all, I must of got it out of my system hanging out at the arcades when I was a teenager. But anyway, I want to get my 7 year old son a new system for Christmas this year - he currently has a nintendo 64 right now. Now considering his age should I get a nintendo gamecube ($110) or a sony ps2 ($160). I am not going to shell out $500 for an xbox or ps3. With the availability of gamecube and ps2 games what should I get? Thanks.
    You can buy a xbox360 CORE for $ 299.00 go w/ the 360 CORE. As far as GCN or PS2, buy the PS2 for $ 120.00 at Wal-Mart. I own a GCN & I think the PS2 is MUCH better.
    Last edited by swwdts; 11-24-2006 at 04:57 PM.

Thread Information