• 11-16-2011, 07:07 AM
    Worf101
    My son... Da College Boy!!!!
    Last August 21st I dropped my son... Da Knucklehead off at College. He's attending my alma mate. State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Foresty at Syracuse University (say that three times fast). When I dropped him off last August I was pretty sure he was:
    1. A virgin (attending a Catholic All Boys School will do that).
    2. A teatotaller (I don't drink and I don't buy and I never smelt it on him. ).
    3. A pretty level headed kid. Never in trouble wit the law.

Fast forward just a couple of months and

1. De-virginated in less than two weeks. She stalked him on Face book.
    2. He's now known as "Da BeerPong Kid".
    3. Stopped and questioned, but not ticketed about underage drinkin'.

Now I'm not a "helicopter dad" (I don't hover), and I know that college is for these things in some respect. It's a "halfway house for adult hood I suppose. But what I hate is that I'm spendin' all this money FOR HIM TO HAVE A BETTER TIME AT COLLEGE THAN I DID!!!!

Ah'm jealous, envious and depressed. Moan. Da Bastiche is having a great time on my dime and ah hates it!!!! Since any thread is worthless without pics. Here's the evidence.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...nattheGame.jpg
    Don't look like the campus library to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ysondanerd.jpg
    Oh the humanity!!

Worf
  • 11-16-2011, 07:20 AM
    Worf101
    Thanks for the love...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    OMG! I love the pic. Geeks on holiday!

Sounds like he's becoming a man. Nothing wrong with having some fun (we did at that age) as long as he keeps his head on straight and works hard to make a good future for himself. Work first, party second and never go too far over the line.

You have taught him well Master Worf. He'll hear your words even when you are not there to say them.

Hey, I'll trade you one slightly used 18 year old knucklehead for one cute, sweet smellin' little nurglette you've got!!! LOL. Nah, you could take him but you couldn't afford to feed him.

Worf.
  • 11-16-2011, 07:21 AM
    GMichael
    OMG! I love the pic. Geeks on holiday!

Sounds like he's becoming a man. Nothing wrong with having some fun (we did at that age) as long as he keeps his head on straight and works hard to make a good future for himself. Work first, party second and never go too far over the line.

You have taught him well Master Worf. He'll hear your words even when you are not there to say them.
  • 11-16-2011, 07:55 AM
    dean_martin
    I think each generation has it a little easier than the previous which translates to more fun than we had. As long as he keeps up his end of the bargain - making the grades, staying out of serious trouble, etc. - then there's not much to do other than warn him about the consequences of indulging too much into any illigetimate extra curricular activity, e.g., drinking and sex.

He really needs to feel like he's part of a community (or that he belongs) while at college. I messed up at first and when I finally got serious about getting my degree I had to do it while working to put food on the table. The quest for the degree also became a job. I totally missed out on the "community" aspect of college - the first time it was my fault due to lack of self-discipline, the second time by necessity.

I have one in his 6th year. He's a stepson so it's a little harder to put the hammer down and yes it's frustrating paying his bills every month when I believe that he should be contributing with a part-time job because he hasn't consistently kept up his end of the bargain.

My other son is in his first year of law school. The jump in tuition is astounding and almost crippling, but I know through experience that he shouldn't work in his first year. He's on a partial scholarship which helps. To keep it he has to maintain a certain gpa. He's started the application process for summer clerkships but I don't know what the pay is for a first-year law clerk these days. I'm sure the experience is worth more than the pay. My goal was to get both boys graduated without them being in debt, but I may have to encourage the law student to look at student loans.

There's a financial planning theory out there that young people should pay/borrow their own way through college. The rationale is that parents should be using the money that they would spend on their kids' college on saving for retirement so that the kids will not be burdened with taking care of their parents late in life. It makes sense but try explaining it to the wife/mom.
  • 11-16-2011, 08:45 AM
    GMichael
    Ditto..
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    Hey, I'll trade you one slightly used 18 year old knucklehead for one cute, sweet smellin' little nurglette you've got!!! LOL. Nah, you could take him but you couldn't afford to feed him.

Worf.

No trades on the table. He sounds like a great kid, but I'd miss the whole growing up thing. Seeing the wonder in her eyes when she learns new things is fantastic.
  • 11-16-2011, 09:03 AM
    Feanor
    Congradulations, Worfster. Sounds like you kid is doing OK. These goings on are a pretty common experience and confer on the young person a degree of healthy normality. They certainly don't preclude wonderful achievements, even in the near term.

It's tough for kids today, even college graduates. My son is doing fine, fortunately. He finally obtained his MSc in computer science and has a decent job programming for a Microsoft Gold Partner company. Not so great for my daughter, though. She graduated and qualified as a dental hygenist a year ago but still can find a full-time or even a part-time permanent job. She's the victim of a the poor economy and a regional glut of hygenists thanks to too many private schools coming on line in the last few years.
  • 11-16-2011, 09:07 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Worf, I just think that's awesome! Congratulations to you for raising a good kid with a good head on his shoulders and Congratulations to Knucklehead for knowing how to have fun within limits.

And, BTW, nice looking kid. I'm not suprised to hear that he's doing okay with the ladies.

Quote:

My other son is in his first year of law school. The jump in tuition is astounding and almost crippling, but I know through experience that he shouldn't work in his first year. ...My goal was to get both boys graduated without them being in debt, but I may have to encourage the law student to look at student loans.
    I work for a for an organization that markets to lawyers. It's not unusual to talk to a recent Call who's carrying $100,000 in student loans. It's disgraceful, I think, that tuition fees at specialty schools like law and medical are so outrageous. I'd like to get my MBA, but I don't have $50,000 to do it.

Quote:

There's a financial planning theory out there that young people should pay/borrow their own way through college. The rationale is that parents should be using the money that they would spend on their kids' college on saving for retirement so that the kids will not be burdened with taking care of their parents late in life. It makes sense but try explaining it to the wife/mom.
    That theory is great on paper, but the reality for many students is that they aren't that motivated. If they have to pay their own way, they have the freedom to decide to go to school or not. Many will choose "not".
  • 11-16-2011, 11:06 AM
    bobsticks
    Awesome work Wofster...you raised a good 'un and it sounds as if you're handling his first forays into manhood appropriately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    I think each generation has it a little easier than the previous which translates to more fun than we had. ..

...maybe at the beginning but it ain't getting any easier on the tail end...
  • 11-16-2011, 12:01 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    Quote:

I think each generation has it a little easier than the previous which translates to more fun than we had. ...

Ditto that, 'Sticks
  • 11-16-2011, 02:12 PM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Awesome work Wofster...you raised a good 'un and it sounds as if you're handling his first forays into manhood appropriately.

Can't wait to debt finance my share and leave the tab to my kids :thumbsup:
  • 11-16-2011, 02:21 PM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

did not realize you were approaching the tail end. I'm 43, but feel like 73 except that I still care 'bout what I say and do. I plan to not give a sh*t at 73. That's one thing to look forward to, right?
  • 11-16-2011, 05:28 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

I plan to not give a sh*t at 73. That's one thing to look forward to, right?

That and calling your nurse Big Mama :D
  • 11-17-2011, 01:43 PM
    Woochifer
    I guess the next question would concern his midterm grades? I always recall that has a way of sobering up a lot of wayward freshmen. :arf:
  • 11-21-2011, 04:58 AM
    manlystanley
    Your a good Dad Worf!!
  • 12-16-2011, 12:20 AM
    Wisecarver1927
    Hey Guys,

I'm a brand new member, looking to learn. Perhaps some of the immense wealth of knowledge on these forums will rub off on me if I hang around for long enough.
  • 12-16-2011, 02:25 PM
    Groundbeef
    Looks good. I didn't straighten out until mid-sophmore year. I met my wife then. She laid down the law.:prrr: Went from B-C's (mostly C's) to mostly A's and the rest B's.
  • 12-17-2011, 05:59 PM
    Worf101
    Errrrr...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sikipakesa View Post
    Spam spammy spam spam. Spam spam spam spammy spam.

If you say so. Hey Moderators!!!! Somone's drinkin'/smokin' while posting again!!!

Worf
  • 12-17-2011, 06:46 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    If you say so. Hey Moderators!!!! Somone's drinkin'/smokin' while posting again!!!

Worf

You try to make a nice family post and the spammers invade.