My experience at Cheneys' campaign stop.

Well I've done some door-to-door and I'll talk about politics to anyone at any time, but this is the first time I've carried a sign at a political event.

It was an eye opener.

This particular event took place at St. Jehosaphats' Ukrainian Catholic church in Parma, OH, a firm Democrat union, blue collar, older inner ring suburb, not long ago the 4 largest city in Ohio. It is a great place to live, VERY ethnic, homemade perogies, though considered racist. This is changing, however.

Anyway, since it was within easy walking distance I whipped up a sign (Stay the course. Bush Cheney) (sorry Jim!!), and headed up there.

It was of course very well planned out by the ss, I was herded into a fenced off area across the (busy, main) street with the others. As it was a Republican event the GOP'ers were inside listening to the VP. I was the only GOPer in the "paddock".

As soon as I set foot inside the paddock I was approached by 3-4 guys and told: " What the hell are you doing in here, this is for Kerry supporters." " Yeah *******, get the hell out of here." I said I was told by the ss to be there, and I was staying unless they told me to leave, and that's the way it is. One guy, while they were trying to herd me back out, said something like "there's no place for you people here" I said "Don't we have freedom of speech in this country? he said no!! I said I don't care, I'm not going anywhere!!!

At this point it looked like is was going to get ugly. The Parma police spotted us (more likely heard us), came over, and told the Dems that the ss told us to put "ALL" demonstrators here, then told me I could do what I want. As I walked away (more like shoved myself past these people, still trying to intimidate me) an old Irish guy, I swear he looked like a stereotypical big-city machine Democrat, put his arm around my shoulder and said "Son, I don't care that you're in here (yeah right, he was one of the first to tell me to get the hell out), but if you stay there's bound to be trouble. You can do what you want, but there'll likely be trouble." I said thanks, but I'm going to stand right there (pointing), if there's any trouble it's on you guys."

Well a couple of minutes later, the ss comes up and tells me no sticks in the signs allowed, you can stay but you have to remove the stick. My sign was just thin paper attached to the sticks, I had to leave the paddock .

So I walked a little up the road and stood by the street. It's a busy street, and the traffic often had to stop. Lots of comments, like You're an *******!! or Bush sucks , with the civilized Dems (and there were a couple) (but only a couple) giving me a thumbs down. About 30 minutes later the concerned Irish guy drives by, giving me the finger (I assumed he was saying hello, it seems to be the standard Dem wave). An old guy riding a bicycle sceams: " What, the course to death!! " lol.

I was surprised by the Bush supporters driving by. There were of course the seniors, and veterans. The real surprise was the number of mostly guys that looked a lot like me. You know, swastikas, assult rifles, purple mohawks, bent on ruling the world, etc.

No I mean fairly clean cut, clean but not expensive cars, "younger middle aged", you know what I mean. Quite a few families, too.

One thing that stood out: A couple of Republicans gathered around me, and a Lib showed up, baiting, acting like he was undecided, I ignored him. He pulled in a senior guy. After he left (but not before he flipped off Cheneys' bus) a woman told me that he was TAPING the guy, and went straight back to the paddock. Hmmm.

Anyway that's my experience. All told it was enjoyable, if a bit shocking. I strongly encourage ANYONE, regardless of party affiliation, to check one of these out.

I plan on going to a Kerry event to see if the GOP representatives are as crude and boorish. I will post my impressions.

Pete
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Pity you couldn't use my idea...

...it might have been ambiguous enough to slip below their radar...LOL! Do I give people too little credit?

The working-class union-types are a breed...a coupla' brews and a few "YO!"s...I know, I was a shop stewpid for over 17 years...the executive board's have the rank-and-file on a short lead...a throwback to the FDR dems, much like my parents sorry to admit...

Freedom of speech? It's all relative ain't it?

jimHJJ(...is it any wonder I'm a misanthrope...)

You're probably right, they wouldn't have gotten it, IMO.

A conservative steward - that has got to be rare. I worked at a shop for about 6 months, Carpenters' union, what an experience. The steward was very fair, just a great guy.

A teamster told me a couple of years ago that it's now them (the drivers) against management AND the union bosses. Hmmm.

I was talking to a guy at the Cheney thing about outsourcing and it came up he was a laid off steelworker. Strangely enough he didn't blame the GOP, he blamed the companies AND the union, and also mentioned he thought it would've happened anyway, as we've been losing manufacturing jobs for DECADES. He's going to vote for Bush. He's either evil or just plain stupid lol.

I'm surprised none of the Libs here have replied to this post. Embarrassed? They should be.

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

First, I would congradulate you...

Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    You're probably right, they wouldn't have gotten it, IMO.

A conservative steward - that has got to be rare. I worked at a shop for about 6 months, Carpenters' union, what an experience. The steward was very fair, just a great guy.

A teamster told me a couple of years ago that it's now them (the drivers) against management AND the union bosses. Hmmm.

I was talking to a guy at the Cheney thing about outsourcing and it came up he was a laid off steelworker. Strangely enough he didn't blame the GOP, he blamed the companies AND the union, and also mentioned he thought it would've happened anyway, as we've been losing manufacturing jobs for DECADES. He's going to vote for Bush. He's either evil or just plain stupid lol.

I'm surprised none of the Libs here have replied to this post. Embarrassed? They should be.

Pete
    on your insistance to remain in a nasty environment! I think you earned some respect that day.

As for manners, that was to be expected...IMO. If you didn't, you were naive. Now your not. I've been around union strikes(and that was what you experienced) to know better about the actions that can and often do happen. I'm glad you got the most of it and the Hell out of there! Should the Libs be embarressed? I think people should be embarressed... not just the Libs. No one should be able to condone(sp?) such behavior no matter.

I will look forward to your "other" experience with Kerry/Edwards rally.
    Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

Karl,

Yeah I think I learned something, you know I just didn't think it was still this way.

I avoid trouble when I can, but it was freedom of speech dang nab it!!

And I agree somewhat about the "people should be embarrassed". Kerry was in town this morning, and I couldn't go 'cause of work.

See, Kerry's not a friend of the working man !

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Forum Regular
    A funny thing happens when a large number of people get together and protest at an event...they tend to do and say things that they wouldn't normally do without the crowds. Get enough peace protestors in the right numbers and in the right forum and they'll start a war.

Embarrassed? Yep, they should be. Was their behaviour expected? Yep, it should have been. I guarantee that when you get a large group of Republicans out in favour or opposed to an issue, they will revert to the exact same behaviour...it's simply human nature. Of course, things tend to be considerably better when the police have a clue and don't treat the protestors like cattle (e.g. the G8 Conference in Kananaskis Alberta)

Forum Regular

Pete

What's to respond to? I'm a Philly guy and constantly read how fans of opposing teams come to our town and are 'mistreated' by the Philly fans. Being abused being in enemy territory isn't exactly news. I'm sure the difference at the GOP rally would be removal of the opposition. There wouldn't be all the name-calling and ugliness, simply a snap of the fingers and a point. The 'problem' would be removed quickly and quietly.

That's what money does.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Justlisten2
    That's what money does.

Then I guess the Kerry/Edwards campaign stops will be dead silent if all it takes is money?

JSE

Quote Originally Posted by Justlisten2
    What's to respond to? I'm a Philly guy and constantly read how fans of opposing teams come to our town and are 'mistreated' by the Philly fans. Being abused being in enemy territory isn't exactly news. I'm sure the difference at the GOP rally would be removal of the opposition. There wouldn't be all the name-calling and ugliness, simply a snap of the fingers and a point. The 'problem' would be removed quickly and quietly.

That's what money does.
    JL2,

Oh no it wouldn't! This is public property I'm talking about, the SS works for the Federal gov't, not the President or his party.

And I'm determined to find out. I will also stand up to the vulgarity, you know, there can be plenty of abuse but as Clinton said if you don't like a guy look at his statements and actions, don't just call him names. (I can see it now - "Look, just because the guy's obviously a complete idiot who's going to vote for a guy that has no spine doesn't mean we should call him an as_hole!! At least not at the top of our lungs in public lol )

I understand the Football thing, we have at least a minor issue with that here, ask a Steelers fan .

Keith,

One thing that stood out was the behavior of the cops. Outstanding, which is amazing, considering their reputation here.

BTW, Bushs' latest endorsement is going to put him over the top, ladies and gentlemen, introducing the famous boxing promoter DON KING!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Abraham Lincoln

JSE
    BTW, Bushs' latest endorsement is going to put him over the top, ladies and gentlemen, introducing the famous boxing promoter DON KING!!!

Kerry said that he and Edwards have better hair than their opponents. This is a clear effort by Bush to settle that matter once and for all. He need more hair on his team and who better than KING!

JSE

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Then I guess the Kerry/Edwards campaign stops will be dead silent if all it takes is money?

JSE

I know the Dems have money too. Don't get me wrong, I don't endorse the Kerry/Edwards ticket either. Sad times indeed for voters, I think it's time for a third, or even fourth party. The choices lately have been downright pathetic. It's like trying to choose whether you want a bum or a mentally challenged person to represent you. I would rather represent myself. We have to do something to make the position of President more attractive. I KNOW there are better people in this country than these two party candidates.

Pete, I think you just got a taste of the mob-mentality that comes over people who gather for a common interest. It happens all of the time, especially with an election that will no doubt bring about more emotion than many in recent history. There are many people who really don't like what Bush is doing... in fact, they are passionate about getting him out of office because the truly believe in their hearts that he's doing our nation wrong. I'm not surprised that you witnessed that type of reaction from the people at that event. It's a little disappointing that people didn't show more class, but as I said, that's what happens when large groups of people form. People tend to act stupid when they get caught up in the mob. It will happen on both sides of the political line - especially in the south where the Reps have their stronghold. I'd hate to see a Lib show up at a Bush rally down there...

And come on now Pete, I would never expect you to be embarrassed for the actions of other Republicans. Why would you expect all Libs to be embarrassed for what you encountered?

Thread Information