Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Men's Grooming / Shaving

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm as meticulous about shaving as I am with my hifi. I figure if you're shaving almost every day for a lifetime you may as well enjoy it and do things right. In any case, I've been loyal to Gillette for as long as I can remember. My first blade was a Sensor, followed by the Sensor Excel, Mach3, Mach3 Turbo, M3Power, and now the Fusion Power. Excellent blades, but I have coarse hair and find I don't get more than three shaves per blade. I also found I was getting a lot of skin irritation on my neck. At the end of the day, the Gillette tax I was paying monthly was getting ridiculous, so I began looking for a new solution.

I was then introduced to Double-Edge razors. This really interested me, I really liked the idea of a classic design, with a simple razor and no guard (keep things analogue hehe), plus a badger hair brush and classic shaving cream. I talked to my local 'dealer', and ended up purchasing:

Razor: Merkur - FUTUR Adjustable DE Razor
    Blades: Merkur - Super Platinum DE Blades (package of 10)
    Brush: True Gentlemen - Pure Badger Brush
    Pre-Shave Oil: MOXIE for Men - Easy Glider
    Shaving Cream: Truefitt & Hill - 1805
    After-Shave: Baxter - After Shave Balm
    Face Wash: urth - White Tea + Gingseng Facial Cleanser
    Exfoliant: MOXIE for Men - X-Foliator, Detox Facial Scrub

Lots of patience, a few knicks and cuts, and a couple of weeks of practice, and I found the ultimate shave, plus no longer have any skin irritation on my neck. Of course there was the initial investment on the razor and brush, but now that I've moved over to double-edge razors the products pay for themselves (just so long as I amortize the initial cost over two years). A package of 10 blades costs only $8, each of which lasts 6 shaves. Seriously, 60 shaves for $8, and more shaves if my hair wern't so coarse. The shave cream lasts about six months.

My routine takes about 10 minutes.. face wash, exfoliate, hop in the shower, then pre-shave oil, shave cream, shave, after-shave. I usually shave every 2-3 days.

So... what's your routine? What products do you use?
    Last edited by elapsed; 09-16-2007 at 08:42 PM.

Suspended
    Wow, that is quite a routine. And, there is a dealer? It must cut close or you are young to get away with every other, or every 3rd day.

I just shave with the edge of broke glass.

Actually, I have never been a blade and lather person. I've always used electric razors. I started with a Norelco 2 head that lasted for years. I should stick with Norelco, I haven't ever found a brand to last like that. I'm not crazy about using the 3 head though. So I've been going through the foil kind. The Panasonic, which the T design was nice but no thought on the charger, it plugged into the wall and the razor fit onto that, so if the razor went dead mid shave, you were messed up. Never, ever, buy a Wahl. I tried one based on their hair clippers having a good rep. I took that thing back so many time within the warranty the store was leary of me. But it must have been normal because they kept exchanging them. Now I'm using Braun, and they do alright. I've had a beard for awhile so I almost don't count. What's crazy is I have to shave daily in order to stay smooth but have to keep my beard like 9, because if I get shorter you can see sparse areas.

I just use Afta pre-shave. I quit using cologne when they took HiKarate' off the market

By day two I've definately got heavy stubble, but I like that unshaven look.. I've never been successful with an electric razor, though I've never invested in a quality unit (I just have a cheap Philishave but man is it rough on the skin). I have friends who swear by the new Braun 360, I'd be willing the give that a try.

As for cologne, that's a whole other habit.. I'm partial to Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Dolce & Gabbana, and Aqua di Gio. A friend of mine just purchased Millésime Impérial by Creed, I'm interested in trying this next.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creed_(perfume)

Suspended
    I got it, the Don Johnson look during Miami Vice.

The thing about using electric razors, pre-shave is a must. I've used Lectric Shave which lets the razor glide over your face but I don't like the oily feel. Afta dries on your face and some how leaves a protective barrier. The pre-shave also raises the hair up off your skin so the electric razor can cut it better, so less strokes against your skin for irritation.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I hate shaving. I mean I hate it. I've got a Remington that's servicable enough but I still probably go two or three days between hits. The Lab Series is the only thing that I've found that fully eliminates razor burn, but what a pain in the ass. I just wear power ties to make up for my genral scruffiness...seriously.

I'll second the Armani scent rec. The Acqua is a nice clean scent for summer months with none of the heavier musk stuff that is overwhelming.

Fortunately for me, my wife likes when I go a few days without shaving and doesn't really mind if I am clean shaved or not, therefore, since I hate the task of shaving I pretty much just let things slide for a few days here and there. Rarely do I use a razor and do a full shave, typically I just take the electric trimmer and just do a quick once over to get the main sections and this takes the hair down to the skin surface, but doesn't do the deep shave like a razor would, this also makes it grow back faster, but it's not nearly as painful as the initial hair that stems from the skin after using the razor. Plus it takes a whopping 2 seconds using this process and requires no shaving cream.

See that's the thing, I really hated shaving before... but since moving to a double-edge razor I actually look forward to it every morning! Very refreshing each and every time I shave

Some reviews: http://www.mankind.co.uk/ProductDeta...roductID=22525

And to Mr Peabody.. Don Johnson is twice my age

Suspended

Great topic! lol

Umm... elapsed, you do realize they make quad blade razors now right?

I hate shaving too, but I'm down to every other day now. Weekend's sometimes not at all. Like PS, I can't be bothered with the shave cream part of the ritual; just splash on some pre-shave (I'll have to try Afta again now that Mr. P points out the part about not liking the oily feel), run the triple head Norelco shaver over my turkey-necked face, rinse and off I go.

BTW... Men do the exfoliate thing?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I just tweeze out unwanted hairs. Or, try a little wax, boys. Painful but effective.

As a kid, I used to love watching my dad shave. He always used a brush and double edge razor. Once in a while he'd hand me the brush and bar and let me work up a nice lather for him. I was actually disappointed when I realized that shaving was something that only boys could do.

Great memories. Thanks elapsed.

I've used a razor twice about 8 or 9 years ago. I broke out something awful and never used one again. Call me ghetto but I just use hair clippers to shave and I only do it about twice per week. I've been doing it that way for years.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I just tweeze out unwanted hairs. Or, try a little wax, boys. Painful but effective.

As a kid, I used to love watching my dad shave. He always used a brush and double edge razor. Once in a while he'd hand me the brush and bar and let me work up a nice lather for him. I was actually disappointed when I realized that shaving was something that only boys could do.

Great memories. Thanks elapsed.
    Well, not exactly. As a matter of fact, I prefer...... Nevermind!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I've used a razor twice about 8 or 9 years ago. I broke out something awful and never used one again. Call me ghetto but I just use hair clippers to shave and I only do it about twice per week. I've been doing it that way for years.
    Orientals generally don't have much facial hair...

Suspended
    BTW, I have a bottle of Nair for men at home, but I can't find anybody to put it on my back.

I use a Remington electric shaver. It just seems easier than the whole, cream, razor & rinse thing.
    From 1978 till 2001, I did not bother shaving at all. Made me fit right in with the rest of my Harley buddies.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I used to use an 'lectric but didn't like the results...Do you think if I replaced the power cord with a better esoteric one that It may work better????
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Orientals generally don't have much facial hair...

Whose Oriental???

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    I used to use an 'lectric but didn't like the results...Do you think if I replaced the power cord with a better esoteric one that It may work better????
    What power cord?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    What power cord?
    I guess my old one wasn't nuclear powered like yours...you do have to charge yours don't ya???
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    I guess my old one wasn't nuclear powered like yours...you do have to charge yours don't ya???
    Mine has a little chipmunk that runs a tiny wheel inside. You just have to feed and water it once a day. Oh, and keep the cats away.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Whose Oriental???
    Did I mean Asian?

Did I mean Asian?
    Your waaaayyyy off!!! Don't let the DBZ (Dragon Ball Z) in my sig & avatar full you. I'll give you a hint, Worf and I have alot in common.

Suspended
    A REALLY good tan?

Doesn't matter, when's your next equipment review going to happen?

Wait a minute... you're not a Romulian are ya???

A REALLY good tan?

Doesn't matter, when's your next equipment review going to happen?

Wait a minute... you're not a Romulian are ya???
    Romulian? Wouldn't that make them sworn enemies? You do know that Worf's family was wiped out by Romulians, right?

Suspended
    Man, it must be Monday. I'm all over the place with this stuff today aren't I?

Anyway, I have the Norelco Spectra 8846 XL and I'm pretty happy with it, FWIW.

BTW... I don't know how to spell Klingon, so...

Suspended
    Upgraded power cord for electric razors, LDB, you had me rolling, LOL

FA, TWEEZE? WAX? I hope you are just talking about facial hair. I didn't realize you were into pain. Tweezing a leg could give you an entire day of pain and work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information