Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Resume writing time!

Yes it is time to update the old resume. I find myself unemployed and will eventually need to find a source of income. My dream job is to be ForeverAutumn's assistant.

A question I have is, has anyone had good experience with professional resume writers. What I have been focusing on has been my work experience which I feel is stronger than my years in college but no degree. I am struggling between puffing up my resume only to prove it inflated later. On the other hand I did remove phrases like subservient and does not expect to be treated well.

Prior to my last two jobs as a care provider I worked in Hospital management for four years and patient care at the same hospital. In all my last 21 years have been in healthcare. I think I am ready for a break but I am worried in this economy it would be easier to stay in the field.

As I prepare my resume I am also trying to find what else is out there after focusing on one area for so long. I hope I find a good employer who values dependancy and a sense of responsibility that borders on masochism.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Sorry to read about your bad new JM. Should I assume that this means the older gent you were caring for has past on? Even more bad news if so. Very sorry on both counts.
    I have found that there are many companies on the internet who will help you find a job at no cost to you. I did pay a ridiculous amount to one company who did no more than the free ones out there. Most of them collect a percentage from the company who hires you. Some of them will meet with you, find out what you are interested in and help you along. They'll even give you examples of questions to expect and how to answer them.
    Good luck with your quest buddy. Keep us updated.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    You mean people who write resumes for a living or a headhunter service?

There are some great templates out there for you to use if you want to save some money. Sometimes its a good idea to tout all your experience/s in one block style format first, then awards (if any) pertaining to your career, then your education. But just as important as a resume, make sure you have a strong cover letter.

I forget the the actual name, but the format I referred to can be found w/ google I believe.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

JM, what healthcare experience do you have?
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven

Blackraven, dude, I am so sorry you did not get the memo. I am so gay. The only thing that picture could do for me is make me wonder how popular I would be if I had her body and looks.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

whoop's! my mistake.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    whoop's! my mistake.

Hey, I appreciate the effort.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

You wouldn't have trouble getting a job with that body and looks!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Blackraven, dude, I am so sorry you did not get the memo. I am so gay. The only thing that picture could do for me is make me wonder how popular I would be if I had her body and looks.
    Oh my god, John. You're making me cry here. lmao!

I'm sorry to hear that you are now unemployed. I would hire you in a second to be my assistant. Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay you. But if you'd like to work for the sheer joy of making me happy, we can talk.

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by JM
    make me wonder how popular I would be if I had her body and looks
    if I had her body I'd never leave the house

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I must have left him off of my "all users" email.
    JM, Someone as nice is you is not allowed to be THAT hot. You would end up ruling the world. No one should have that much power.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by JM
    I am so gay.
    you mean like happy gay?

what's this do for you?

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    No typos, no spelling, punctuation, etc. errors! You wouldn't believe the number of resumes we get with errors.

Use a picture of yourself all dressed up (coat and tie or at least dress shirt and tie) on your resume. This may be common place now, but back in the 80s when I was looking for work my dad suggested I copy a photo onto the upper right hand side of my resume. I was offered 4 jobs with that resume. The hiring manager at each job said it was the photo on the resume that distinguished mine from the rest. It was nothing fancy - just black and white photocopies. It had nothing to do with looks. It showed that I knew how to dress professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    No typos, no spelling, punctuation, etc. errors! You wouldn't believe the number of resumes we get with errors.

Use a picture of yourself all dressed up (coat and tie or at least dress shirt and tie) on your resume. This may be common place now, but back in the 80s when I was looking for work my dad suggested I copy a photo onto the upper right hand side of my resume. I was offered 4 jobs with that resume. The hiring manager at each job said it was the photo on the resume that distinguished mine from the rest. It was nothing fancy - just black and white photocopies. It had nothing to do with looks. It showed that I knew how to dress professionally.
    A picture? Really? I've never heard that one.

My husband is an HR Manager, as is one of my best friends. They will occasionally show me a resume that is so bad that we laugh at it.

Spelling and grammer mistakes are a big problem. Computers have spell check so there is no excuse for a spelling error...it just shows how little you care about details. And no religious or political affiliations unless it is directly related to the job. Also, keep it as short and succinct as possible with the most relevant information on page one. Hubby says that he rarely gets to page two unless page one is compatible for the job. And he never looks at page three. He gets hundreds of resumes for every job posted. He doesn't have the time to read them all. In fact, even cover letters are hit and miss. Sometime's he'll read them and sometime's he'll just skip right to the work experience.

3LB

My husband is an HR Manager, as is one of my best friends. They will occasionally show me a resume that is so bad that we laugh at it.
    as nitpicky as this sounds, its true. My wife is an HR Director (21 years in the biz) and she says there are just way too many people applying for high paying positions, especially positions that require a high degree of reliability and accountability, to over-look a mistake that's as easily correctable such as grammar and spelling. She says its an attention to detail issue that speaks volumes about a person's competence and diligence.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    A picture? Really? I've never heard that one.
    Yep. It doesn't take up that much space if you list vital statistics on the left, you have blank space on the right that you can fill with a picture. I think I used a wallet-sized photo from my senior portraits (at that age, those were the nicest pics I had - none of the cheesy ones though - coat and tie and copy machine). I would think that a subtle black and white photo similar to a driver license picture wouldn't be too tacky, would it?

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Yep. It doesn't take up that much space if you list vital statistics on the left, you have blank space on the right that you can fill with a picture. I think I used a wallet-sized photo from my senior portraits (at that age, those were the nicest pics I had - none of the cheesy ones though - coat and tie and copy machine). I would think that a subtle black and white photo similar to a driver license picture wouldn't be too tacky, would it?
    I don't know. I can maybe see that if you're a kid fresh out of school or applying for a job in the public's eye perhaps. But for someone whose experience should speak for itself, I would be afraid that the person viewing the resume might discriminate by the photo. For example, they might not like the look in your eye. Or might decide that you look too old. Or may not like your skin colour. Or your tie. And might refuse you an interview on that basis.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    you mean like happy gay?

what's this do for you?

I am happy now, thanks.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    you mean like happy gay?

what's this do for you?

I may have to set something on fire just to be rescued.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information